Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   List of words that should be banished (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/list-words-should-banished-144219/)

dewilson58 02-23-2015 02:02 PM

Big hat, no cattle.

Big boxers, no _____ .

graciegirl 02-23-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1018166)
Big hat, no cattle.

Big boxers, no _____ .

:1rotfl::1rotfl:

Walt. 02-23-2015 02:11 PM

".. change my calculus..." and "we're just going to have to change Putin's calculus..."

lovsthosebigdogs 02-23-2015 02:36 PM

I can't stand to hear servers ask me,"How's everything tasting?" Really gets on my nerves. Like the food and everything on the table is capable of doing its own tasting instead of asking me if everything is ok or something to that effect. I am not sure why this irritates me so much, but it does.

tomwed 02-23-2015 03:18 PM

I hate hearing from the person behind the counter "no problem" when the appropriate response is "you're welcome" when I say "Thank-you".

Loudoll 02-23-2015 06:27 PM

Agree wholeheartedly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1018216)
I hate hearing from the person behind the counter "no problem" when the appropriate response is "you're welcome" when I say "Thank-you".

Ew...I hate that with a passion: not a problem.
But, tell me. When did it switch to the customer saying "thank you" anyway?
I know, I know. Way back when we were behind the counter we said thank you to the customer. tsk tsk.:angel:

Loudoll 02-23-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1018149)
I'm really glad you mentioned ""Put your big girl panties on" so I can never say it again.
It never occurred to me that it would make some people cringe.

It's all good. It is what it is. :)

I was trying to think of why this makes me cringe and saw that DruanneB said it. I think it irritates me to think we're considered snotty little bratty girls who need to grow up and men don't have to ever put on their big boy boxers. lol

I'm sure though, Barefoot, if you said it, I would not cringe.

SouthOfTheBorder 02-23-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1018216)

Hi tomwed,

Does could this help bring you some comfort the next time you say Thank You and hear No Problem. :laugh: :laugh:

No Worries, :thumbup:
Don

Barefoot 02-23-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudoll (Post 1018312)
I was trying to think of why this makes me cringe and saw that DruanneB said it. I think it irritates me to think we're considered snotty little bratty girls who need to grow up and men don't have to ever put on their big boy boxers. lol
I'm sure though, Barefoot, if you said it, I would not cringe.

I just learned that term in TOTV from a friend here. She said to me: "Put on your big girl panties and just do it!"
I thought that expression was way cool (another outdated expression I know).
I never thought of it as being a snotty little bratty girl that needed to grow up.
I thought of it as being a female wrinklie that needed to get some cojones.
I'm so glad that it's been pointed out that it makes people cringe.
It's all good :) - Sorry, I just cannot stop saying that one.

tomwed 02-23-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder (Post 1018313)
Hi tomwed,

Does could this help bring you some comfort the next time you say Thank You and hear No Problem. :laugh: :laugh:

No Worries, :thumbup:
Don

No problem is an English expression, meaning "you're welcome". It is similar to the Australian English expression no worries. The phrase is used in most of the United States, especially on the East Coast of the United States.

Some find the expression, particularly when employed in the service industry, to be rude, implying that a reasonable request could have been received as problematic or unwelcome.

OK
I'll try to be more understanding to southerners. I still think doing your job is not doing me a favor.

sunnyatlast 02-24-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1017402)
I have NEVER been in a restaurant where a server referred to any food type as protein or a starch,
and we eat out often.
I can't even imagine what would prompt the use of those words…...

Talking heads the other night on t.v., from New York, are what reminded me of the awful "starch" and "protein" categories, which are technically accurate but unappetizing. They said exactly what I've thought about it.

Will see if I can find a video clip of it.

sunnyatlast 02-24-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 1017402)
I have NEVER been in a restaurant where a server referred to any food type as protein or a starch,
and we eat out often.
I can't even imagine what would prompt the use of those words.

It's culinary terminology found on many chef and food presentation sites, as well as restaurants where we've dined in various states. Here are four menu examples I found with quick google searches, from Boston, CT, WI, and CA:

Boston:
"Chef’s Selection of Assorted Proteins, Seasonal Vegetables, Grains and Starches

Upgraded Chef’s Market Basket

Selection of Proteins to Include: Scallops, Shrimp, Slab Bacon, New York Strip Loin, Boneless Chicken Breast, Crab Meat

Action Kitchen Menus | Boston MA Group Cooking Activities & Parties
-----
CT:
Dinner
You may choose any protein, starch and vegetable for your menu. If you would like suggestions please email the chef. Chef@whistlestopwindosor.com
Proteins
Chicken Francais $10.00, Chicken Piccatta $10.00, Apple Brie Chicken $11.00, Chicken Parmesan with Pasta (in house only) $12.00, Chicken Scapadelle (chicken, sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, in lemon wine sauce).

Whistle Stop Cafe l The best bistro in Windsor, CT.
-----
Your custom plated dinner menu consists of your selection of the following proteins, a starch and vegetable. The pricing listed with the proteins is inclusive of all side selections, unless noted with an up- charge. If selecting more than one entrée, please contact your catering manager – the price of the highest cost entrée will apply to all entrees.
Protein selections – seafood
Mahi Mahi – 8 ounce filet, seared or grilled $22
*Chef recommended preparation – blackened and glazed with apricot jam $23
CANADIAN WALLEYE – 8 ounce filet, baked $21
*Chef recommended preparation – pan fried with seasoned flour with lemon caper beurre blanc $23
wild salmon – 8 ounce filet, seared or grilled $24

http://www.thewaterfrontlacrosse.com...DinnerMenu.pdf
----
Wolfgang Puck Weddings:

"Wolfgang incorporates free-range proteins and sustainable seafood into each menu highlighting the importance of caring for the environment. Add an innovative twist to local grown foods, complimenting a wedding's location and enhancing the guests' experience."
Wedding Menus | www.wolfgangpuck.com

------
San Jose, CA:
Choice of Protein
Choice of Starch
http://www.sanjose.org/sites/default...m%20Buffet.pdf

Bonanza 02-24-2015 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs (Post 1018193)
I can't stand to hear servers ask me,"How's everything tasting?" Really gets on my nerves. Like the food and everything on the table is capable of doing its own tasting instead of asking me if everything is ok or something to that effect. I am not sure why this irritates me so much, but it does.

I agree. What a wierd way to ask how is everything, which is basically what they are asking. I want to ask them if they want to taste it and they can tell me!

The only thing that irritates me more is when wait staff refers to my husband and I as "you guys." I find that extremely rude, particularly when these kids could be my grandchilden!

redwitch 02-24-2015 06:33 AM

For me, the most hated phrase in the English language has got to be "drank/drinking the Kool-Aid". I don't care how innocent the term has become, the history behind it is the death of hundreds at Jonestown. It is almost impossible to be from the Bay Area, have lived there during that time and not known someone who died there. So, every time I hear the phrase here, I really want to check their pulse to make sure they're really still alive since they shouldn't be.

graciegirl 02-24-2015 07:48 AM

The folks who serve us here in restaurants have to be the finest bunch in the world. Many have worked in the country club restaurants for many years when the Morse's ran them and then eventually sold the business part to a restaurant owner retaining the real estate as is their business plan.

The servers that I know best are at Cane Garden and every last one of them is excellent at what they do and seem pleased to work every day and have the opportunity to put their kids in the fine Villages Charter schools.

Almost all of them are native Floridians and have no accents like we do.
I just don't notice if they say things like protein or ask if everything tastes o.k.. Usually new ones are the one's that say no problem, but soon they become more savvy with proper response. Most of us came from a world and time where people always say thank you and you're welcome. Some kids today aren't hearing this at home.

In return many people pay these hard working folks twenty percent and thank them. AND MANY DON'T.
If I worked as a server in The Villages you would find my kisser on the crime page on the on line news for smacking someone.

Remember that not all people are destined to become English Majors. That takes money and academic prowess. Not all English majors could hack it as a server in The Villages.

Now I hope I haven't hurt the servers feelings or my fellow Villagers.

Good morning. It is gonna be a warm day in The Villages and it is snowing every other place in the world.

Laurie2 02-24-2015 09:06 AM

Of servers and English majors, referenced above. . .

I think there is a book in being a server in TV. It could be titled "Undercover Server."

Look out. The next server you meet just might be an English major.

graciegirl 02-24-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie2 (Post 1018536)
Of servers and English majors, referenced above. . .

I think there is a book in being a server in TV. It could be titled "Undercover Server."

Look out. The next server you meet just might be an English major.

Please check my post above. I changed the "are" to "is".

I was a science major from a blue collar home.

sunnyatlast 02-24-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1018476)
For me, the most hated phrase in the English language has got to be "drank/drinking the Kool-Aid". I don't care how innocent the term has become, the history behind it is the death of hundreds at Jonestown. It is almost impossible to be from the Bay Area, have lived there during that time and not known someone who died there. So, every time I hear the phrase here, I really want to check their pulse to make sure they're really still alive since they shouldn't be.

That, and the implication that villagers were forced to buy here, by cult brainwashing.

kittygilchrist 02-24-2015 10:31 AM

Wholenother

Laurie2 02-24-2015 10:33 AM

Off topic

Barefoot 02-24-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1015966)
Let's hear what words posters here want to have on the list, or have already made the list but are still grating on you.

These are some on the list that are still around, unfortunately:
"It is what it is." (Translation: I don't want to say what I really think. Someone might be offended.)
"Issues". (Example: The pitcher is having shoulder issues going into Game 7 of the World Series. Or, Bruce Jenner is having some gender issues.)
"It's all good."

I think that Bruce Jenner's gender issues are on hold while he sorts out his recent car crash.
I enjoyed some of the Academy Award presentation. Lady Gaga actually has quite a lovely voice.
Not sure about her red rubber gloves though. Oh well, it is what it is.
I have really enjoyed this thread and hearing what makes people cringe. It's all good.
With apologies to Sunnyatlast! :evil6:

sunnyatlast 02-24-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1018807)
I think that Bruce Jenner's gender issues are on hold while he sorts out his recent car crash.
I enjoyed some of the Academy Award presenation. Lady Gaga actually has quite a lovely voice.
Not sure about her red rubber gloves though. Oh well, it is what it is.
I have really enjoyed this thread and hearing what makes people cringe. It's all good.

If it were "all good", nobody would be citing words or phrases that grate on them.

dewilson58 02-24-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1018807)

I have really enjoyed this thread and hearing what makes people cringe. :evil6:

"We" definitely know how to irritate people now.

:22yikes:

DougB 02-24-2015 05:09 PM

Some of you irritate me even when you aren't posting. It's like I know your still there.

graciegirl 02-24-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1018851)
Some of you irritate me even when you aren't posting. It's like I know your still there.

Boy howdy!:22yikes::mornincoffee::icon_twisted:

sunnyatlast 02-24-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1018851)

Yup. We're breathing your air!

Moderator 02-24-2015 06:10 PM

Please move posts back to the original topic, or the thread will be closed.

Loudoll 02-24-2015 07:54 PM

Poster Child

graciegirl 02-24-2015 07:59 PM

Pollyanna.

Loudoll 02-24-2015 08:03 PM

Sensitive post

Quote:

Thank you for this post.
I think you are the only person who has shined a light on this! I wish I could remember whose autobiography I read (and I'm embarrassed to admit it was recently) where she alluded to this being said somewhere and the time predated the terrible tragedy in Jonestown. If I think of it, I'll post. Know it isn't important but just an example of how trite that term has become.

tomwed 02-24-2015 08:54 PM

Yes, thank-you Redwitch for reminding us. It's out there so much the meaning disappeared.

CFrance 02-25-2015 04:51 AM

It is what it is has two different effects on me. If it's something nobody can do anything about, for instance I,m complaining about the temperature and someone says It is what it is, that' almost comforting, as in don't bother stressing over it because there's nothing you can do bout it, it's kind of comforting.

If it's something that could be fixed if only the people responsible would do their jobs--For instance, saying you cannot save seats at the squares and they continue to be saved, and some person says oh! it is what it is, that is annoying as all get out and is on my list of expressions I'd like to see banned.

Carla B 02-25-2015 10:22 AM

Multitasking. Like, you know, people who do that are just simply amazing! The only multitasking I can do is watch TV while ironing.

Barefoot 02-25-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1019066)
... If it's something nobody can do anything about, for instance I'm complaining about the temperature, and someone says "It is what it is", that's almost comforting, as in don't bother stressing over it because there's nothing you can do bout it ...

I don't mind that expression at all. I think it is so much better than someone saying "Smile and be happy".
What I've learned from this thread is that expressions that are commonplace to some of us make other people crazy. :mad:
I'm not sure what the takeaway is though. I assume most of us will probably continue using the same expressions.
But it's been an enjoyable thread. It's all good.
:duck:

sunnyatlast 02-25-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1019066)
It is what it is has two different effects on me. If it's something nobody can do anything about, for instance I,m complaining about the temperature and someone says It is what it is, that' almost comforting, as in don't bother stressing over it because there's nothing you can do bout it, it's kind of comforting.

If it's something that could be fixed if only the people responsible would do their jobs--For instance, saying you cannot save seats at the squares and they continue to be saved, and some person says oh! it is what it is, that is annoying as all get out and is on my list of expressions I'd like to see banned.

Most of the time, when somebody shrugs and says 'it is what it is', they have heartily agreed that the topic is a problem that needs somebody to speak up about it, and it bothers them a lot, too, but they're NOT going to 'be negative' and speak up.

They wait for somebody else to be The Mouth who addresses it and then gets called 'crazy' or 'b-word' or 'drama queen', while they remain 'nice'.

graciegirl 02-25-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 1019245)
Most of the time, when somebody shrugs and says 'it is what it is', they have heartily agreed that the topic is a problem that needs somebody to speak up about it, and it bothers them a lot, too, but they're NOT going to 'be negative' and speak up.

They wait for somebody else to be The Mouth who addresses it and then gets called 'crazy' or 'b-word' or 'drama queen', while they remain 'nice'.

I have a different take on this. Some of us are real wussy. We could kill if our children or family were threatened but that's about it. The last time I stood up to someone in person, I was stammering, sweating and shaking. I have huge courage behind a key board. My husband says I can't seem to make a point about something I am passionate about in person without crying. I have no backbone or balls. Some of my friends are much more courageous in the face of bullies and people with whom they don't agree.

You are one of them. Courageous.

Loudoll 02-25-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1019316)
I have a different take on this. Some of us are real wussy. We could kill if our children or family were threatened but that's about it. The last time I stood up to someone in person, I was stammering, sweating and shaking. I have huge courage behind a key board. My husband says I can't seem to make a point about something I am passionate about in person without crying. I have no backbone or balls. Some of my friends are much more courageous in the face of bullies and people with whom they don't agree.

Let us start a thread with tales of the time we stood up to someone...and the aftermath. :boxing2:

sunnyatlast 02-25-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1019316)

You 'have no backbone or balls'........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sense you're mighty courageous!

:bigbow:

:bigbow:

graciegirl 02-25-2015 12:52 PM

/// I took this down, not because I said anything mean. It is just that I have argued this point too many times on this forum, and I am tired of it.

Loudoll 02-25-2015 12:53 PM

Gail Sheey

Quote:

At around 10a.m. this morning it finally came to me that it was Gail Sheey's memior, "Daring" in which she wrote that a person said to her, "Looks like you're ready to drink the Kool-Aid" concerning Gail's joining everyone else in her office on the bandwagon being ga ga over their boss, gushing, believing he could do no wrong.
Plus, they supposedly said this about ten years before that awful event in Jonestown.