List of words that should be banished

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Some of you irritate me even when you aren't posting. It's like I know your still there.
Yup. We're breathing your air!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please move posts back to the original topic, or the thread will be closed.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM

Poster Child
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Pollyanna.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Default Sensitive post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
For me, the most hated phrase in the English language has got to be "drank/drinking the Kool-Aid". I don't care how innocent the term has become, the history behind it is the death of hundreds at Jonestown. It is almost impossible to be from the Bay Area, have lived there during that time and not known someone who died there. So, every time I hear the phrase here, I really want to check their pulse to make sure they're really still alive since they shouldn't be.
Thank you for this post.
I think you are the only person who has shined a light on this! I wish I could remember whose autobiography I read (and I'm embarrassed to admit it was recently) where she alluded to this being said somewhere and the time predated the terrible tragedy in Jonestown. If I think of it, I'll post. Know it isn't important but just an example of how trite that term has become.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Sage

Yes, thank-you Redwitch for reminding us. It's out there so much the meaning disappeared.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It is what it is has two different effects on me. If it's something nobody can do anything about, for instance I,m complaining about the temperature and someone says It is what it is, that' almost comforting, as in don't bother stressing over it because there's nothing you can do bout it, it's kind of comforting.

If it's something that could be fixed if only the people responsible would do their jobs--For instance, saying you cannot save seats at the squares and they continue to be saved, and some person says oh! it is what it is, that is annoying as all get out and is on my list of expressions I'd like to see banned.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage

Multitasking. Like, you know, people who do that are just simply amazing! The only multitasking I can do is watch TV while ironing.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
... If it's something nobody can do anything about, for instance I'm complaining about the temperature, and someone says "It is what it is", that's almost comforting, as in don't bother stressing over it because there's nothing you can do bout it ...
I don't mind that expression at all. I think it is so much better than someone saying "Smile and be happy".
What I've learned from this thread is that expressions that are commonplace to some of us make other people crazy.
I'm not sure what the takeaway is though. I assume most of us will probably continue using the same expressions.
But it's been an enjoyable thread. It's all good.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It is what it is has two different effects on me. If it's something nobody can do anything about, for instance I,m complaining about the temperature and someone says It is what it is, that' almost comforting, as in don't bother stressing over it because there's nothing you can do bout it, it's kind of comforting.

If it's something that could be fixed if only the people responsible would do their jobs--For instance, saying you cannot save seats at the squares and they continue to be saved, and some person says oh! it is what it is, that is annoying as all get out and is on my list of expressions I'd like to see banned.
Most of the time, when somebody shrugs and says 'it is what it is', they have heartily agreed that the topic is a problem that needs somebody to speak up about it, and it bothers them a lot, too, but they're NOT going to 'be negative' and speak up.

They wait for somebody else to be The Mouth who addresses it and then gets called 'crazy' or 'b-word' or 'drama queen', while they remain 'nice'.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Most of the time, when somebody shrugs and says 'it is what it is', they have heartily agreed that the topic is a problem that needs somebody to speak up about it, and it bothers them a lot, too, but they're NOT going to 'be negative' and speak up.

They wait for somebody else to be The Mouth who addresses it and then gets called 'crazy' or 'b-word' or 'drama queen', while they remain 'nice'.

I have a different take on this. Some of us are real wussy. We could kill if our children or family were threatened but that's about it. The last time I stood up to someone in person, I was stammering, sweating and shaking. I have huge courage behind a key board. My husband says I can't seem to make a point about something I am passionate about in person without crying. I have no backbone or balls. Some of my friends are much more courageous in the face of bullies and people with whom they don't agree.

You are one of them. Courageous.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have a different take on this. Some of us are real wussy. We could kill if our children or family were threatened but that's about it. The last time I stood up to someone in person, I was stammering, sweating and shaking. I have huge courage behind a key board. My husband says I can't seem to make a point about something I am passionate about in person without crying. I have no backbone or balls. Some of my friends are much more courageous in the face of bullies and people with whom they don't agree.

Let us start a thread with tales of the time we stood up to someone...and the aftermath.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

You 'have no backbone or balls'........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sense you're mighty courageous!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Sage

/// I took this down, not because I said anything mean. It is just that I have argued this point too many times on this forum, and I am tired of it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-25-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Default Gail Sheey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
For me, the most hated phrase in the English language has got to be "drank/drinking the Kool-Aid". I don't care how innocent the term has become, the history behind it is the death of hundreds at Jonestown. It is almost impossible to be from the Bay Area, have lived there during that time and not known someone who died there. So, every time I hear the phrase here, I really want to check their pulse to make sure they're really still alive since they shouldn't be.
At around 10a.m. this morning it finally came to me that it was Gail Sheey's memior, "Daring" in which she wrote that a person said to her, "Looks like you're ready to drink the Kool-Aid" concerning Gail's joining everyone else in her office on the bandwagon being ga ga over their boss, gushing, believing he could do no wrong.
Plus, they supposedly said this about ten years before that awful event in Jonestown.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.