Locast TV Service

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2021, 02:53 PM
Sage

There are no streaming services but none broadcasting local "live" TV. One streaming service is "NewsOn." Yes, you can pick up select faraway stations, as well as Orlando stations, but the news is not news, it is streamed from early in the day or the night before. Useless.

ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. sell access to their content to Comcast and the like, probably for a high price. Comcast then sells the content to their subscribers and unless the customer pays extra for High Def, they get an inferior transmission to that by antenna which is in high def. At least that's the way it was when we had Comcast for TV. Maybe the courts ought to look into the practice of broadcasters selling "free" content, period.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,620 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
There are no streaming services but none broadcasting local "live" TV. One streaming service is "NewsOn." Yes, you can pick up select faraway stations, as well as Orlando stations, but the news is not news, it is streamed from early in the day or the night before. Useless.

ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. sell access to their content to Comcast and the like, probably for a high price. Comcast then sells the content to their subscribers and unless the customer pays extra for High Def, they get an inferior transmission to that by antenna which is in high def. At least that's the way it was when we had Comcast for TV. Maybe the courts ought to look into the practice of broadcasters selling "free" content, period.
Please explain. Why shouldn't ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox be able to sell their copyrighted content to Comcast for resale to Comcast customers? Why should the courts get involved?
Old 09-02-2021, 04:20 PM
Sage

Well, just wishful thinking, I guess, no explanation.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:01 PM

I had the service and enjoyed it. Watched Orlando Wesh 2 and Fox 35 news. Could also get it via a web browser so could watch from anywhere.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know if they provided any pay channels, but the problem I have is that they were charging people for the free channels. They claimed to be a non-profit, but then they extorted money from people by making it almost impossible to watch the free stuff without making bogus donations. Sounds like a scam to me.
By coincidence, if you recorded locast programing like with stremium the donation requests did not appear. I did pay the 5.50 but it was not required.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
This is incorrect. You can see "live" news when the station is actually broadcasting live news. Otherwise, you will get a choice of various repeats of full newscasts or clips.

Example: As I write this, it's 6:26am (eastern) on Friday. I went to the Newson website and selected "Florida" from the master list. From there, I selected WKMG from the available stations menu. They are airing live news at this time, and newson is showing it live. Here's a screen shot of the access page for watching WKMG at this time I'm writing:

The Villages Florida
Old 09-03-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I personally am glad , if everyone gets tv for free , who pays for programs and from all the talk on here you got what you paid for which seemed to be a lot of aggravation , call me stupid but at this age and having a few bucks to spend I just want to turn on my tv and watch it without banging a lot of buttons or buying things from flea markets that get closed down by police
Don't complain about my antenna. You have removed my other choice.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that local stations charge cable and internet streaming companies fees to broadcast their networks. Therefore Locast reduces the incentive of viewers to pay a subscription for their television.

local broadcast stations have begun demanding significant fees to carry programming that they offer for free over-the-air and via the Internet. We don’t think it’s fair to make customers pay for programming that others receive for free.

How Do Television Programming Costs Work? | RCN.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:05 AM
Default Locast

I liked Locast just for the major networks. Does anyone know how to get NBC, CBS, ABC and most importantly to me ION? Don't care about other channels. Is an antenna the way to go? I refuse to pay for cable anymore. Maybe some of you can afford to pay the $43+ every month but I can't. I have a Firestick in living room and Roku in bedroom which are fine but would really like the 3 major channels and Ion back in my living room.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I don't know if they provided any pay channels, but the problem I have is that they were charging people for the free channels. They claimed to be a non-profit, but then they extorted money from people by making it almost impossible to watch the free stuff without making bogus donations. Sounds like a scam to me.
They didn't extort money! You better look up the word extort.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:44 AM

Don't presume you know the reasons why they started it and why they were shut down. Your entire comments are complete speculation and you act just like the media does; you are putting your own personal bias and opinions in there.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
It wasn't a scam. It allowed people who can't get locals, to stream them. They didn't extort money from anyone, you had the choice not to pay the whole big 5.00 a month. Good grief.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,620 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
They didn't extort money! You better look up the word extort.
I did. Extort means to:

"obtain (something) by force, threats, or other unfair means."

It's true that Locast didn't force you to pay money, but I think it is unfair to make the viewing so difficult by interrupting the program so often that you could not enjoy it. It was also unfair to call the payments a "donation". Donations should be completely voluntary. But, my main issue with Locast was that they essentially violated the legal copyrights of the broadcasters, which I think is why the court ruled against them.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
This is incorrect. You can see "live" news when the station is actually broadcasting live news. Otherwise, you will get a choice of various repeats of full newscasts or clips.

Example: As I write this, it's 6:26am (eastern) on Friday. I went to the Newson website and selected "Florida" from the master list. From there, I selected WKMG from the available stations menu. They are airing live news at this time, and newson is showing it live. Here's a screen shot of the access page for watching WKMG at this time I'm writing:

The Villages Florida
Thank you. I will try that on NewsOn tonight at 6 pm for the Orlando stations.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 AM

There are none. Paramount+ is $9.99 month and gives you CBS live. Free Peacock gives you NBC shows a day late. I'm really sad and mad and will probably install a huge antenna ( as the little inside ones dont work at my house)
Closed Thread

Tags
locast, users, respectfully, response, court’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.