Lovebugs damage car paint..solution?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Sage
Default Lovebugs damage car paint..solution?

Realizing people visit here a lot from other places, just wanted to start a thread to say lovebugs turn acidic within 24 hours of being smashed on your car that there is a danger they will adhere permanently to your car, especially when it's too darn hot.

Fresh wax was on the car is suggested. I don't let them stay on the car overnight.

I never found anything to keep them from sticking, except I used cling wrap once and it worked, but it also took the paint off when I removed it.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 05-09-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Sage

You can remove them easily with wet dryer sheets.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Sage

I sprayed some WD-40 on a ssoft cloth and wiped the hood and nose area of my suv, and they washed right off. Most did not stick. The wd-40 residue washed off easily after the lovebugs left with a little dawn in the water. Also, rain-x on the windshield helps.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Spray Pam on car before travel then they just wash off
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Lightbulb

When I travel during love bug season, I always carry a spray bottle or two of Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover in the car. It is just not a cleaner but also has a wax component too. So when you spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, after you wipe it off, you are left with a light wax coating on the paint (AND NO BUGS) which adds further protection. It makes it easier to get them off the next time. Just remember to bring enough shop rags with you because you'll go thru a few. You can wash the rags at your first opportunity.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have a bucket of water in the garage and wash of when I get home.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Use spray car wax on the front end. They wipe right off and then just reapply every few days.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Location: Augusta, GA, West Germany, France, Aurora, Colorado, Lexington, Virginia, Cooper City, FL, Villages

Two solutions I've found:

3m automotive film - can be applied yourself with time and labor as a kit..some companies sell matched to you car..and include bumpers, hood and mirrors. (PM me if you want an Internet company which specializes in made to fit kits). Then, no damage to your paint. You can have auto detail companies install as well. I did mine myself, but it take time and patience but works well against stone chips, for which it is designed.

Second alternative is a good counter cleaner that has silicon properties like Magic (brand) Countertop Cleaner. I bought mine at ACE Hardware or Home Depot. I spray headlights, bumpers, grill, fog lights and mirrors and while bugs still accumulate, they seem easier to clean off with a bug scrubber sponge at the same time you use mild soapy car soap and water to clean off spray and bugs-the downside. I never use the automotive bug cleaner sprays -- after they seemed to dull paint. Newer formulations may safeguard against that today, but past experience is what I still go by.

All part of the cost of living in Paradise.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I went the wet softener sheet route last year, but none too successfully. Someone said it had to be Bounce sheets, not Downy (of course I had a huge box of Downy sheets), and then made me a "present" of a bunch of Bounce sheets. We were going to do a test--half the bumper with Bounce and half with Downy.

But then aha, came in the mail a bra for the car that Hubs had ordered unbeknownst to me. He says newer car, protect the finish. It took forever and a couple changes of sweaty clothes to get it on, so I think I'm going to leave it there!

I'll try the Bounce/Downy experiment on his older car. One nice thing (actually, the only nice thing) about bringing your two black cars down from up north is that they are the same color as the love bugs.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Sage

I'll tell you what a whole lot of us motorcyclist use. Spray on peroxide quite heavy, let it set for a couple minutes then wipe off with a wet towel. You'll see each one of them fizz for awhile before wiping off. I've been using it for years and never heard of it hurting expensive paint jobs or plastic windshields.
Of course the sooner you get them off the better. Never let them bake on for several days or you'll have a hard time.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

I admit I haven't encountered the dreaded Love Bug Terror yet, but am I to understand that EVERY time you take your car out for 5 minutes you have to spend an hour or more cleaning the pesky critters off your car? Seems like a HUGE pain in the you know what!!! It almost doesn't seem like I'd want to leave the house for the month they are around. And does this go for golf carts also?? Do they stick to the ENTIRE car? I'm trying to think of some way to drive around in a huge plastic bag.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I admit I haven't encountered the dreaded Love Bug Terror yet, but am I to understand that EVERY time you take your car out for 5 minutes you have to spend an hour or more cleaning the pesky critters off your car? Seems like a HUGE pain in the you know what!!! It almost doesn't seem like I'd want to leave the house for the month they are around. And does this go for golf carts also?? Do they stick to the ENTIRE car? I'm trying to think of some way to drive around in a huge plastic bag.

It's not too bad. I have read that the love-bugs-damage-the-paint thing is a myth. But you wouldn't want them to turn to cement on your car. I don't think golf carts go fast enough to be a problem. Anybody? (We don't have a cart.)
Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Sage

Well, I just did a search on love bugs ruining your paint job, and there's more yesses than no's. Apparently if you run through a big cloud of them on the highway at high speed, you may have problems.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Well, I just did a search on love bugs ruining your paint job, and there's more yesses than no's. Apparently if you run through a big cloud of them on the highway at high speed, you may have problems.
Thanks for the research. I wonder if they'd get in my dog's teeth if we went by dog sled!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

I guess they'd need goggles.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7af1792477b16eddb7629de0f49b5a83.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	40519  

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.