Loving and Living Together

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Sage
Default Loving and Living Together

I have seen posts from others regarding their views on marriage and how they believe it has fallen from when they were younger.

I personally know some Villagers who love each other very much and live together but are not married. These are for financial reasons of losing a survivor pension or other financial reason.

A couple of these people have even had a ring exchange but not married.

I think this is wonderful these people have found love again and are a committed couple - even without a legality of marriage.

What are some other thoughts on this?

Last edited by buggyone; 03-05-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: To improve the first line so it could not be objected to.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This is such an emotional topic for some of us. Along with ethical and religious and sacred and treasured and valued.

OH for Pete's sake. I thought it was golfing nut introducing one of his ....makes you think about it threads. Sorry Buggy.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-05-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I was reading another thread and the OP of that stated nowadays marriage means nothing.

I personally know some Villagers who love each other very much and live together but are not married. These are for financial reasons of losing a survivor pension or other financial reason.

I think this is wonderful these people have found love again and are a committed couple - even without a legality of marriage.

I must object to your using something from a post of mine and twisting into something that was not meant or implied. That is not fair.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
I was reading another thread and the OP of that stated nowadays marriage means nothing.

I know a few couples who are in this situation, and I think at our age, it is absolutely wonderful. If companionship is so important to you, and I know many people feel they want that, then more power to them and we are so lucky to live in such a place where that happiness can be found.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have been reading Bucco's posts for long enough to know that he is a deep, thoughtful, caring, smart and ethical man.
I have been reading Buggyones' post for long enough to know that he is a deep, thoughtful, caring , smart and ethical man.

Do you want to talk about love and how in the throes of it we make some gooney choices? Do you want to talk about living together for comfort and to avoid legal problems for heirs? Do you want to talk about how times have changed? Do you want to talk about how we feel about cohabitation and how popular it is? I am for anything for young people that will make a life long commitment possible so that there is a chance for a family to be raised by two people who love them in the same home it that is possible. I realize that a lot of people marry more than once. I am just very lucky to have found my love before somebody else grabbed him..

Marriage to me is beautiful and sacred and I am so fortunate in mine and I will tell you right now that if Sweetie was married to someone else I would try to break up their marriage and take him away. I wish for everyone that kind of love.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Sage

I could care less who lives with who and why. None of my business.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

At our ages, I care about who loves whom (is that right???) and how they can make that happen with the least amount of complication.

I said to my 20-year-olds, I hope you get married and not just live with someone. I would say to my 65+-year-old friends, I hope you find love, companionship, and happiness in the most financially feasible way possible. If that means you can't get married, so be it.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Sage

Once more, the OP of this thread is referring to my thread on marijuana, and took what I said totally out of context.

The subject matter of this thread, in no way, can be tied to my post.

Of course finding love at any age is wonderful...I cannot imagine a single person objecting
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

My opening here is to explain that my wife was my first love, my greatest love and she will be my last love. My daughter once said to us we made marriage look easy". I was taken aback by that because the reality is as we all know not so. But we believed our peaks and valleys were ours and not to be a burden to others. We believed in our commitment and our promises to each other and we understood the importance of subordinated ourselves to one another and the responsibility we owed toourselves and our children.

I strongly believe marriage as a unit and linked from family to family creates the strong fabric for this country.

I strongly believe that the obsessive rights movements of the 60's destroyed that concept and today there is little resemblance of what marriage requires.
It is impossible to go back and it is having a devasting effect on our children and this country
Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Once more, the OP of this thread is referring to my thread on marijuana, and took what I said totally out of context.

The subject matter of this thread, in no way, can be tied to my post.

Of course finding love at any age is wonderful...I cannot imagine a single person objecting
Bucco, I personally did not remember your original post and don't ascribe that statement about marriage to your personal feeling. I think I know you better (even though we've never met) through your posts. I was only commenting on the topic of marriage later in life.

Buggy may have been using a part of your comment in the marijuana thread as a springboard for a different discussion about marriage. I'm not sure... but he seems like a pretty fair person, as do you. JMO
Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
My opening here is to explain that my wife was my first love, my greatest love and she will be my last love. My daughter once said to us we made marriage look easy". I was taken aback by that because the reality is as we all know not so. But we believed our peaks and valleys were ours and not to be a burden to others. We believed in our commitment and our promises to each other and we understood the importance of subordinated ourselves to one another and the responsibility we owed toourselves and our children.

I strongly believe marriage as a unit and linked from family to family creates the strong fabric for this country.

I strongly believe that the obsessive rights movements of the 60's destroyed that concept and today there is little resemblance of what marriage requires.
It is impossible to go back and it is having a devasting effect on our children and this country
We are two things. We are called lucky...I have 51 years of marriage and gets better each day.

Second thing we are called is old fashioned....I am not sure what the OP was driving at here.....I cannot imagine anyone opposed to love.....I cannot imagine anyone opposed to marriage (if possible). If the OP is looking to see if anyone will condemn those who, for one reason or another, live together....he won't find any for sure either.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Bucco, I personally did not remember your original post and don't ascribe that statement about marriage to your personal feeling. I think I know you better (even though we've never met) through your posts. I was only commenting on the topic of marriage later in life.

Buggy may have been using a part of your comment in the marijuana thread as a springboard for a different discussion about marriage. I'm not sure... but he seems like a pretty fair person, as do you. JMO
Thank you, CFrance. I meant nothing negative to Bucco and, like you say, springboarded into a different topic.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you, CFrance. I meant nothing negative to Bucco and, like you say, springboarded into a different topic.
I am fine..he modified the first post and that takes care of it
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Sage

Marriage is very beautiful when two people love each other deeply, and are faithful and committed to the santity of marriage.

Some older people have been burned in marriage, and want to co-habitate due to financial issues and that may be right for them. Not all marriages were wonderful.

Young couples who cohabitate is fine until children come along. I believe people should get married, so a social stigma, is not attached to the children.

Whether to be married or not is a very personal decision, based on many factors, but the two people should really love each other.

Who's to say what is right or wrong? These are all individividual cases.

Eveeryone owes it to themselves to make themselves happy.

As the Beatles said, "LET IT BE".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

I believe in marriage and don't like young couples opting out of
making that commitment.

At our age, however, I feel the opposite. Whatever we have
accumulated financially many of us want to leave to our
Children.

I respect what people decide is right for them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.