"Made in China" - the tragedy behind the scenes

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum member
Default "Made in China" - the tragedy behind the scenes

This story was a surprise to me. How sad to think that this is happening.
Chinese labor camp inmate tells of true horror of Halloween 'SOS' - CNN.com

(Please note that the thread is about the treatment of workers in China, not the choice of buying products made in different countries).

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage

This is a prime example of why many of us are against the hand holding and "let's all play nice" view of China and other totalitarian, torturous regimes that want us wiped off the face of the earth.

Many of us have friends and relatives who have worked for U.S. companies in China and they have been out beyond the façades of the major cities, to see "the real" China.

See as just one example:
This Is Two Year Old Mei Ming.She Awaits Death In A ”Dying Room” In China. | One Person, One World.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Sage
Default China or no deal

Yet all of our production is farmed out to China. If we really knew the story behind the cheap labor there, we would all boycott anything made in China. That would just about be everything we purchase. It wouldn't take long for production to move back to the US where things should be made and people can be treated with dignity and respect. Is it so important to have things made so cheap and make,such a great profit that we are willing to sacrifice people? These workers in China are being sacrificed.

If you watch Shark Tank, the first thing they sharks ask is "is your product being made over seas". If the answer is no, then the say in order for us to offer you a deal, you must be willing to have your product produced overseas. One person refused and the sharks would not make a deal with them. It's all about money. Shame, shame.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
This story was a surprise to me. How sad to think that this is happening.
Chinese labor camp inmate tells of true horror of Halloween 'SOS' - CNN.com

(Please note that the thread is about the treatment of workers in China, not the choice of buying products made in different countries).
I am not defending China, but I have serious doubts that this letter was written buy a Chinese woman who has never visited America. Sentence structure, grammar, etc. I have visited China 10 times since 1997.
Hmnnnnnnnnn!!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

what we do know for sure,

farming out to what ever country regardless the atrocities in the work place or the negative impact here with the continual loss of employment,

has absolutely NOTHING to do with the welfare or affect, effect on the human element.

Never ever confuse the public face of plotiticians, businesses smiling into the camera with the yes, but BS story.

btk
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

As the OP, my intent was to focus on sympathy and support for the victims of human rights abuses in China.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
As the OP, my intent was to focus on sympathy and support for the victims of human rights abuses in China.
And I agree, my heart goes out to all those who suffer from any human rights abuse. We should speak out strongly against those abuses.

That being said , i have suspicions that this letter was not written by the lady to whom it is attributed. JMHO
Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Millions in Syria suffering beyond anyone's comprehension, along withe countries taking in the refugees.

They count a lot also
Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum member

You are so right, Bucco. They all matter, individually and collectively.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Default This may be of interest Quirky 3.

This is a good resource-- china labor watch

There was a Chinese couple at the University of Minnesota Law Library the woman whom I supervised in re-cataloging of some books around 1990-1991. Her Americanized name was Joy and it sounded like her position in Chinese society was determined by the time she was 6 or so. Always found this level of control of someone's journey of life extremely unfair. Joy seemed to question it a bit too as she was thoroughly westernized but I will bet that many Chinese are very accepting of this fate. It's a very different world view.

I have never been to China though so will happily take in the opinions of people who have been there.

One thing I liked about the University of Minnesota Law Library was that it had a huge section devoted to Human Rights in other countries than the US like Human Rights in China. I even had the Human Right's Law Professor's http://www.law.umn.edu/facultyprofiles/weissbrodtd.html assistant back around 1991 commend me about my fighting for right of access to practical information for survivors/victims of crimes. She told me to never give up even though I have had incredible hurdles myself to overcome many of these put up by the University of Minnesota staff and alumni and contacts of these. This woman's kind words certainly helped with me with my own journey. I do remember, however, Professor Weissbrodt fighting for me while I was at the University of Minnesota Law Library along with some other Professors.

Hopefully, the kindness of strangers will help with some of these Chinese laborers especially if they are coupled with international companies that will do something about improving their workers' lives.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-08-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum member

If anyone is interested in helping in this way, there are organizations like Unicef, Doctors without Borders, Amnesty International, and many others who could use support.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
If anyone is interested in helping in this way, there are organizations like Unicef, Doctors without Borders, Amnesty International, and many others who could use support.
In the case of Syria......Syria will not allow aid to these people.

"The United Nations humanitarian chief on Friday called on the UN Security Council to put “sustained pressure” on the Syrian government and rebel groups to let in desperately needed relief.

Valerie Amos told the council the United Nations had been unable for nearly a year to reach more than 2.5 million civilians trapped in the worsening Syria conflict.

She said on top of well over 100,000 war dead, diseases, including feared new cases of polio, are spreading quickly and many people are dying “silently” from cancer and diabetes because of lack of treatment. Malnutrition is also growing."

U.N. advocates ask Security Council to pressure Syria into allowing more aid | The Raw Story
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.