Make $20,000 Hunting Pythons

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2022, 09:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFwUs View Post
An open bounty on them, could/may/might totally destroy the entire population over time.
Would this be a bad thing?
Seems like Pythons have overtaken the everglades and destroying all rodents and birds.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Wild boar is delicious. What I'm not understanding is why there isn't a glut on the market in the area for it. There are plenty of them, and supposedly plenty of people who have firearms and are so proud of having them - they should put them to use, maybe make a profit in the wild boar meat business.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Wild boar is delicious. What I'm not understanding is why there isn't a glut on the market in the area for it. There are plenty of them, and supposedly plenty of people who have firearms and are so proud of having them - they should put them to use, maybe make a profit in the wild boar meat business.
I don’t care for the taste or smell of wild boar. But a fattened up bar hog is good eating.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-09-2022, 12:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Carl Hiaasen’s latest novel, a satire titled Squeeze Me, has Florida’s python problem as part of its storyline.

Boomer
Old 08-09-2022, 04:50 AM
Platinum member
Default The full monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael g. View Post
i see florida has a contest and open season on pythons this month with $20,000
for first prize.

I'm thinking, why?

If there's so many pythons taking over the everglades, why don't the state give out
cash for each one caught year around.
some crew from brownwood just signed up
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220809_054708.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	94655  
Old 08-09-2022, 07:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Very valid point.
Id suggest it could have something to do with keeping a certain number of them within the natural eco-system. An open bounty on them, could/may/might totally destroy the entire population over time.
Think of it similar to deer season, or other similar seasons that allow control over the population without wiping them all out.
It could also have something to do with not wanting to pay a "per-head" bounty, which can be exploited.
There was a fisherman in TN. I think it was, that made a fulltime job of catching and turning in the invasive carp, that had a $5. per head bounty on them.
He is reported to have pulled in some $65,000 a year, fishing all day! and that was just one guy, there were plenty of others doing it as well!
Burmese pythons are an invasive species. We WANT all of them in the wild to be destroyed. They disrupt a “healthy ecosystem.” These are all pet snakes released into the wild, or their descendants.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I see Florida has a contest and open season on Pythons this month with $20,000
for first prize.

I'm thinking, Why?

If there's so many Pythons taking over the Everglades, why don't the state give out
cash for each one caught year around.
$20,000 first prize for...what?

Biggest?
Maddest?
Longest?
Most?
Old 08-09-2022, 07:29 AM
Platinum member
Default Hey quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn View Post
python hunting is legal all year round and there are a few full time hunters.
This is a contest to bring in attention. The problem seems to be that while they've caught 13,000 or so pythons over the years, there are estimated to be somewhere between 30,000 and 300,000. So i'd think it's a lost cause.

I did sign my wife up for the hunt, but... Well that's another story.

florida’s python challenge begins: 450 snake hunters compete for $10k prize.
she might need a bigger boat
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220809_060749.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	94660  
Old 08-09-2022, 07:40 AM

We moved down here from Virginia where the Snakehead fish was taking over. They are ugly as sin but taste delicious from what I've heard.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:45 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
That said, I couldn't care less about TX hogs or FL pythons TBH, but totally removing either of them at this point, (if that's even possible) would undoubtedly create other, perhaps unforeseen, issues.
Here's the deal about Burmese Pythons. They are not native to Florida. They should not be here, and removing them will not cause unforeseen issues. Pythons are literally killing everything in the Everglades, leaving them alone will create issues.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I don’t care for the taste or smell of wild boar. But a fattened up bar hog is good eating.
I've had it both ways. The meat can be tainted by improper field dressing and skinning. But a properly-prepared meal of wild boar can be absolutely delicious.

Much of the "wild" taste can be eliminated by soaking the meat overnight in milk. Mom preferred buttermilk. I remember as a young man growing up in Northern MN. Deer hunting was big up there but we stayed away from the old mossy-horned bucks, much preferring yearling bucks or (when legal) does. But even with the older bucks (so tough that you had to "grind the gravy" according to dad) the wild taste could be completely eliminated with the milk treatment.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:41 AM
Default Pythons are an invasive species

Quote:
Very valid point.
Id suggest it could have something to do with keeping a certain number of them within the natural eco-system. An open bounty on them, could/may/might totally destroy the entire population over time.
Think of it similar to deer season, or other similar seasons that allow control over the population without wiping them all out.
It could also have something to do with not wanting to pay a "per-head" bounty, which can be exploited.
There was a fisherman in TN. I think it was, that made a fulltime job of catching and turning in the invasive carp, that had a $5. per head bounty on them.
He is reported to have pulled in some $65,000 a year, fishing all day! and that was just one guy, there were plenty of others doing it as well!
Pythons are an invasive species, never meant to be on this continent to begin with. Total eradication should be the goal and should be met.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:33 AM

Aren't they trying to eliminate the invasive species? The pythons are not part of the ecossystem.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,023 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
Pythons are an invasive species, never meant to be on this continent to begin with. Total eradication should be the goal and should be met.
Interesting how a species comes to a new place and so easily takes over. God or bad. Horses came here and are thought to be a good thing.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default This mess is the result of another duh factor........

I don't get the $20,000 prize either, but from what I have read and heard, something better be done, quickly and officially.

This is yet another problem brought to us by people who have no sense, and for whatever reason think they need pythons as pets. Then when those snakes they bring in get too big, too long, too much, they release them into the wild.

The Boomer Generation has been called "The Pig in the Python" because our generation was the biggest ever and affected so many changes -- and we still do.

Marketing studies boomers as our needs change.....as we work our way through.......just like the pig in the python.......(shudder).......

TV itself markets to "The Pig in the Python" -- although they are showing signs of looking at the generation that follows us.

But I think maybe somebody needs to get ahead of these invasive pythons and get rid of them -- before we start finding boomers in the pythons.

Carl Hiaasen had fun with this in his latest book "Squeeze Me" but the very real, big hungry snake situation was part of his inspiration for the plot.

Boomer (EEK!)
Closed Thread

Tags
pythons, $20, 000, taking, everglades, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.