Many people I know think that Gary Senise should have been Time's Person of the Year.

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

//////

Last edited by rustyp; 12-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I think Greta Thunberg is an excellent choice.

Yep.

Gives real hope for the future.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:29 PM
TOTV Moderator

Many posts have been removed from this thread. What began as a simple statement in support of for the generous actions of a person degenerates into name calling, finger pointing, political, and directed posts. Kind of ironic in view of the other thread bemoaning the tone of many posts on TOTV. To paraphrase the words of Pogo, we have met the enemy, and it is all of us.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Many posts have been removed from this thread. What began as a simple statement in support of for the generous actions of a person degenerates into name calling, finger pointing, political, and directed posts. Kind of ironic in view of the other thread bemoaning the tone of many posts on TOTV. To paraphrase the words of Pogo, we have met the enemy, and it is all of us.

Thank you for keeping it civil, impersonal...and on-point.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Many things have been said, the thread was closed and now reopened.

I wonder if Time Magazine is struggling with circulation at all.

It is clear that Times criteria for the Person of the year award is not who is most liked and admired.

Here it is verbatim;

"Person of the Year is an annual issue of the United States news magazine Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-13-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,059 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think almost everyone finds his kindness and outreach such a good thing.

Would you think he would have made a good person of the year for Time Magazine this year???
Yes, I think Gary would have made a great person of the year, but I don’t get a vote : (
Old 12-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I think Greta Thunberg is an excellent choice.
This year, they definitely nailed the..."for better" part.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,500 Times in 3,103 Posts

I think Greta Thunberg ticked every box of "criteria" that Time Magazine uses to select their person of the year. Gary Senise is nice, generous, lovely. But nice, generous, and lovely are not criteria for earning Time Magazine Person of the Year award.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I read the Sun everyday but watch no TV news, I hate hearing about politics and crime, which is why I moved to TV. We do have on HLN quite often because my wife likes the court trials which they sometimes cover since Courtv went off the air. This girl Greta, I have never heard her name or know anything about her until now. I find this amazing that she is this well known and yet I had to google her to know what this was about. I find it hard to believe that some would want her to be a person of the year for simply making tweets online about the weather. That doesn't seem to qualify for a person such as Gary Sinese or my suggestion of a couple of years ago, Tim Tebo which was deleted from this thread for some reason that is beyond me These are people who actually accomplish meaningful things that help people in need.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I read the Sun everyday but watch no TV news, I hate hearing about politics and crime, which is why I moved to TV. We do have on HLN quite often because my wife likes the court trials which they sometimes cover since Courtv went off the air. This girl Greta, I have never heard her name or know anything about her until now. I find this amazing that she is this well known and yet I had to google her to know what this was about. I find it hard to believe that some would want her to be a person of the year for simply making tweets online about the weather. That doesn't seem to qualify for a person such as Gary Sinese or my suggestion of a couple of years ago, Tim Tebo which was deleted from this thread for some reason that is beyond me These are people who actually accomplish meaningful things that help people in need.
I agree with you. This person was not familiar to me. I'm sure she is in certain circles... but not to me. TO me... it just feeds the narrative about the media.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,500 Times in 3,103 Posts

Quote:
It wasn't for "simply making tweets online." She is, and has been famous all over the entire world (at least outside The Villages) for travelling the globe to spread her message to dignitaries and heads of state about climate change.

Living "in a bubble" is not just a catchy phrase to describe living in the Villages. Outside the Villages, it also means "refusing to acknowledge that reality is happening beyond your scope of vision." It sounds like that's why some Villagers are surprised that Greta is Person of the Year: because they see only what they want to see, and disregard the rest (credit to Simon & Garfunkel for The Boxer reference)
Old 12-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It wasn't for "simply making tweets online." She is, and has been famous all over the entire world (at least outside The Villages) for travelling the globe to spread her message to dignitaries and heads of state about climate change.

Living "in a bubble" is not just a catchy phrase to describe living in the Villages. Outside the Villages, it also means "refusing to acknowledge that reality is happening beyond your scope of vision." It sounds like that's why some Villagers are surprised that Greta is Person of the Year: because they see only what they want to see, and disregard the rest (credit to Simon & Garfunkel for The Boxer reference)
I don't exist in a bubble. I watch multiple news outlets (all mainstream national TV news outlets (NBC, ABC and CBS) in addition to cable and online). If you asked me who won TIME's person of the year. I can't tell you her name. I know of her... but that is it. I'm just telling you about my experience...
And please don't lecture me. Just understand I am telling you, based on the fact I watch mainstream news for a number of hours every day, it isn't something that was familiar to me.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Gracie, please explain this post. You started this thread seemingly to create controversy regarding a climate activist's selection as person of the year, then you add a comment about people with disability not being used as pawns.

Are you suggesting that Greta is a disabled person being used as a pawn? That her Asperger's makes her unable to make her own choices and speak her own words, powerful words which have been heard by world leaders even if ignored, and inspired many members of her generation and older ones. She has become a spokesperson for a concern that almost all of the world shares, and done it with grace and even courage. But you seem to be claiming she is a pawn who is disabled and therefore not responsible for what she says and does.. or am I reading your comment wrongly?
Old 12-14-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I read the Sun everyday but watch no TV news, I hate hearing about politics and crime, which is why I moved to TV. We do have on HLN quite often because my wife likes the court trials which they sometimes cover since Courtv went off the air. I have never heard her name or know anything about her until now. I find this amazing that she is this well known and yet I had to google her to know what this was about. I find it hard to believe that some would want her to be a person of the year for simply making tweets online about the weather. That doesn't seem to qualify for a person such as Gary Sinese or my suggestion of a couple of years ago, Tim Tebo which was deleted from this thread for some reason that is beyond me These are people who actually accomplish meaningful things that help people in need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I agree with you. This person was not familiar to me. I'm sure she is in certain circles... but not to me. TO me... it just feeds the narrative about the media.

If someone is not familiar with Greta I suggest they only watch and read a specific form of news. She was chosen for far more than her tweets! Or perhaps there is a misunderstanding of Time's criteria for being selected the person or thing of the year, even after reading exactly what their criteria are??? Simply helping people in need is not a reason for becoming Time's Person of the Year.

Furthermore, I don't believe moving to The Villages is the place people move because they don't want to hear about politics. That is truly laughable! If one does not receive any type of news via the media (TV, newspaper, Internet), how does anyone know about what is going on locally or throughout the world???
Old 12-14-2019, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I posted a very clear reason why I believe what I do. I am very familiar with this situation personally and as founder of the Williams Syndrome Association started in the early eighties. Yes I do believe that Greta Lunsberg is used as a pawn. Not only because she is young but because she has Autism Spectrum Disorder. Please Google "or Bing" Greta Thunbergs mothers book. Greta has been criticized for being cheeky and inappropriate when we are seeing her disorder. It is the new trend to idolize youngsters given a microphone. They do have wonderful ideas and much promise, but many are simply used or touted because what they said lines up with a popular debate.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-14-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
year, good, person, find, admirable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.