Many people I know think that Gary Senise should have been Time's Person of the Year.

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Was not the question should Gary Senise have been Time Magazine's person of the year. All these post and not one mention of Gary's contributions and attributes Vs the selection criteria. A disservice to a great American Patriot. This has turned into the Greta post.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
What began as a simple statement in support of for the generous actions of a person...
If that actually was the intent, it should have been presented that way instead of as a backhanded slap at a different person. I have no idea what Gary Sinise has done wrt philanthropy or good works and would have been interested to hear about it.

And let's not forget that the personal computer was Time's Man of the year in 1986!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

[attach]82224[/attach

click on photo to enlarge
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-12-13-at-9.13.21-PM.png
Views:	220
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	82224  
Old 12-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

I thought Time magazine has gone out of business. This "Person of the Year' is really irrelevant compared to the reality of the thousands of people helping others. This is nothing more than 15 minutes of fame.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I thought Time magazine has gone out of business. This "Person of the Year' is really irrelevant compared to the reality of the thousands of people helping others. This is nothing more than 15 minutes of fame.
"Time has the world's largest circulation for a weekly news magazine. The print edition has a readership of 26 million, 20 million of whom are based in the United States. "

Time (magazine - Wikipedia)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 View Post
...Furthermore, I don't believe moving to The Villages is the place people move because they don't want to hear about politics. That is truly laughable! If one does not receive any type of news via the media (TV, newspaper, Internet), how does anyone know about what is going on locally or throughout the world???
How do I know about what is going on locally, I guess you missed the part where I said I read the Sun everyday, that's how. What's goes on in Washington I could care less. It's amazing when I'm on the treadmill at MVP most mornings and my Tv has on ESPN "Get Up" with Mike Greenberg and I see all the other screens tuned into this media show on the other channels. I think, this was just like the 80's with Iran/Contra all over Tv, and where did that go, nowhere.

Moving here to avoid crime, I can tell you I grew in St. Petersburg, that's two hours away and I graduated from SPHS in '68. I considered that, I lived in Pensacola for six years and I considered that place, and I lived in Savannah for 8 years and I considered that place. The TV won out, for exactly the reasons I mentioned.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

People don't listen. They believe what they want to believe. Some people know NOTHING about Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I think that Greta Thunberg and the president of the United State has it, as well as his son Barron.

I have no problem with the amazing abilities of anyone with Aspergers Syndrome. They are often smarter than most of the population in some areas, and sadly lacking in other skills such as ease of communication.

There are two points that matter to me on this subject.

One is using young disabled people to be a pawn for a political group.

And the other is using young able people to be a pawn for a political group...such as the vocal youngsters at Parkland High School.

They are kids, many of them so dear and nice and so full of dreams and hopes and visions. They aren't ready yet to run the world and they should never be used by groups to railroad their ideas.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Such vicious attacks on a disabled 16 year old young woman for a recognition (of which she had absolutely no vote/input), by supposed adults...tells a decent person all they need to know.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
This makes no sense.

I have lived here for 19 years. I am 80 years old.

I, along with any well read person in the world knows of this winner.

Why would you begin a thread, which seemingly was intended to bash the winner. You have questioned the motives,etc, and frankly since you mention Fox, that appears to be only source in the world who does not like the choice.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

How bout that Gary fellow what a good boy he is.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

How bout that Gary fellow what a good boy he is.
He was used 😁
Old 12-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
...Why would you begin a thread, which seemingly was intended to bash the winner. You have questioned the motives,etc, and frankly since you mention Fox, that appears to be only source in the world who does not like the choice.
Maybe she began the thread for the same reason you responded. Her intent was to bash a person she felt was undeserving of such an award. You seem intent on bashing her posts for the same reason, you felt her posts were undeserving. This doesn't make one more right than the other.

Every person has an opinion and hers and many others who have expressed their opinion have disagreed with Time's selection. It doesn't matter how big a magazine is in the world, size doesn't make it right or wrong. Fox has more viewers in the cable news market, does that make them more right. Of course not, and since Time is going the way of print, it's a dying media and needed a boost in ratings. Rather than take the high road they chose a controversial subject.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Maybe she began the thread for the same reason you responded. Her intent was to bash a person she felt was undeserving of such an award. You seem intent on bashing her posts for the same reason, you felt her posts were undeserving. This doesn't make one more right than the other.

Every person has an opinion and hers and many others who have expressed their opinion have disagreed with Time's selection. It doesn't matter how big a magazine is in the world, size doesn't make it right or wrong. Fox has more viewers in the cable news market, does that make them more right. Of course not, and since Time is going the way of print, it's a dying media and needed a boost in ratings. Rather than take the high road they chose a controversial subject.

I am going to print this now before it goes away, and fold it up and put it in my cookbook, where over the years I have saved notes and cards from people that have soothed my heart.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

I propose that threads be begun with a clear, conscise message concerning what the thread is about....i.e., Gary Sinese, and not use this forum for backdoor entrances to tout political or Fox talk.

Start a thread, stay on subject.

Tell us, please what the "high road" might be, or should we guess. Everybody is not able to be bullied.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Such vicious attacks on a disabled 16 year old young woman for a recognition (of which she had absolutely no vote/input), by supposed adults...tells a decent person all they need to know.
People don't listen. They believe what they want to believe. Some people know NOTHING about Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I think that Greta Thunberg and the president of the United State has it, as well as his son Barron.

I have no problem with the amazing abilities of anyone with Aspergers Syndrome. They are often smarter than most of the population in some areas, and sadly lacking in other skills such as ease of communication.

There are two points that matter to me on this subject.

One is using young disabled people to be a pawn for a political group.

And the other is using young able people to be a pawn for a political group...such as the vocal youngsters at Parkland High School.

They are kids, many of them so dear and nice and so full of dreams and hopes and visions. They aren't ready yet to run the world and they should never be used by groups to railroad their ideas.

Tags
year, good, person, find, admirable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.