Marie Kondo and the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2019, 10:27 PM
Default Marie Kondo and the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Has anyone done the KonMari tidying festival in their home? How did it go for you?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

We are working on Marie Kondoing. So far it is amazing. I am not following Marie’s sequence exactly, but already the house is half as full as compared to before. Hubby and I both like to shop, so things come in but almost nothing goes out. We have inherited stuff from all sides too, and combined two houses, mine and his, into one. Lots of stuff!

Marie says each item has to have a “home” so when we shop, before we buy something we decide where it’s “home” will be in the house. This has reduced our shopping significantly. We can find things now when we need them, well, most of the time. Still a long way to go, but I work on it everyday for at least 15 minutes and hubby is sorting his things too.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 PM

Love that book! I’ve already KonMaried all my clothing & the kitchen & dining room. Thrilled with the results so far!

Was shocked when Hubby got interested in my projects & followed suit with his clothes. I taught him the folding method, now his dresser drawers are something to behold.

Now when we shop, we always ask ourselves a few questions:
1- Is this a Nice to have, or a Need to have?
2- Where will it’s Home be? (Where will it belong & be neatly stored in our house?)
3- Following the “one in one out” rule, what will go to make room to bring this home?

Still a ways to go till done, but we’re loving the clean, uncluttered feeling!!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

I haven’t read her book, but it sounds like it is sort of paired with the Swedish “death cleaning” I have read about. We did a lot of paring down before we moved here 5 years ago, then had to do more after we got here.

Now, as an example, I have a certain number of clothes hangers. If I see a top I like, I think about what existing top I would have to donate in order to have a hanger free for the new top. It sounds like I need to read her book, though.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I haven’t read her book, but it sounds like it is sort of paired with the Swedish “death cleaning” I have read about. We did a lot of paring down before we moved here 5 years ago, then had to do more after we got here.

Now, as an example, I have a certain number of clothes hangers. If I see a top I like, I think about what existing top I would have to donate in order to have a hanger free for the new top. It sounds like I need to read her book, though.
What a great idea!
Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

We do most all the things mentioned to clear clutter and keep tidy....and we never heard of ti-kwon-doh house keeping.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Now I’m Kondoing my photos. Over the decades many many albums of photos. Much of these photos do not bring joy, maybe never did. There were toxic people in my life and when I look at myself I see me shrinking in these past photos beside them, out they go.
Closed Thread

Tags
tidying, konmari, festival, home, kondo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.