Marine Dad Banned From School After Complaining About Islam Assignment

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Eternal Member

Some have written that the girl should have been given an alternative assignment because "she" (her father) did not believe in Islam.

Ridiculous! Should a student be given an alternative assignment because her family does not believe in evolution? Should a student be given an alternative assignment because her family does not believe the Holocaust ever happened? Should a student be given an alternative assignment because her family thinks the Earth is flat? Of course not!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Some have written that the girl should have been given an alternative assignment because "she" (her father) did not believe in Islam.

Ridiculous! Should a student be given an alternative assignment because her family does not believe in evolution? Should a student be given an alternative assignment because her family does not believe the Holocaust ever happened? Should a student be given an alternative assignment because her family thinks the Earth is flat? Of course not!

It could be that it was because he believed that Radical Islam was not mentioned nor explained..He may have wanted it taught that THAT FORM of ISLAM IS HORRIBLE AND IT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW.

(Someone is going to bring up the crusades, hide and watch)
Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It could be that it was because he believed that Radical Islam was not mentioned nor explained..He may have wanted it taught that THAT FORM of ISLAM IS HORRIBLE AND IT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. )
Re-read post number 4 on the first page of this thread. It states what Kevin Wood said to the school superintendent. He did not mention those things stated in your post.

We all agree that radical Islam is terrible just as we agree that a radical form of Christianity (shooting of abortion doctors) is terrible.

Kevin Wood stated his daughter should not have to study something she does not believe. If he had stopped right there, no problem and it probably would have been fine.

However, he went too far off the deep end and threatened the school with violence. At that point, a "No Trespass" order was placed on him.

Gotta go now to see Rocky and the Rollers at Lake Sumter Landing!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 AM

I see nothing wrong with teaching Islam as long as they teach Christianity right along with it. Children should learn of all religions.

It is my understanding that GOD has been removed by the schools in America.

Do you think they teach Christianity in the schools over in Pakistan? Afghanistan?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Eternal Member

This was a Middle East history segment that was being taught and how Islam contributed to the history of that region. It was not teaching Islam as a religion but as a historical factor.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

When I see stories like this, the first thing I do is research it out - 9 times out of 10 there is more to the story than what is reported on the news or newspapers. Yes, we have problems in this country but why make more by reporting incomplete stories, blowing up negatives, and reporting things out of context? Sad. Glad I choose not to swallow everything that's fed to me.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Sage

As a teacher/coach something like this happened to me. And I would be surprised if it didn't happen to every teacher but you don't hear about it. It didn't make the papers.

I coached a coed golf team that was capped at 12 players. We had tryouts and the best 11 players, with the lowest scores were all boys.

One of the moms of the 3 girls that didn't make the cut called me and insisted that her daughter be on the team and I was being sexist. I need to make an exception just for her daughter. She had the worst score of the 3 girls.
I asked the mom for 24 hours.

I called the girl down and and told her that her mother called me. The girl said she was so sorry and her mother means well but she can be such an embarrassment. I told her not to worry and to keep this just between us.

The next day I told the team that I was not cutting anyone. The top 6 players will practice everyday and the other 10 will rotate every other day and try to work their way into the line-up. Everyone could come everyday but only 11 will play the course. The rest of the group can hit balls on the driving range, chip, putt, work on sand shot, yada, yada, yada.

As I got to know her I found out she beat cancer when she was 10. She stayed on the team all 4 years and did not improve all that much. In her senior year I insisted she play in a match at least once. She didn't want to, she just wanted to be on the team. When she graduated she enlisted in the Navy.

A teacher needs to be flexible and put the child first. What good would it have done for me to stand my ground? With everyone coming and going we had a terrible season in the league. But it was fun.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
When I see stories like this, the first thing I do is research it out - 9 times out of 10 there is more to the story than what is reported on the news or newspapers. Yes, we have problems in this country but why make more by reporting incomplete stories, blowing up negatives, and reporting things out of context? Sad. Glad I choose not to swallow everything that's fed to me.

This problem is epidemic on TOTV
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I do so agree. Parent involvement is key. I don't think there is a good way to teach the religions of the world in public schools...and sadly we need to know about them. You will tread on some toes because it is almost impossible to treat any religion as an overview with so many different versions of Christianity and so many people who are not religious at all who are sometimes grouped as a religion rather than an ethnicity.

So I remember only about the "Moors" and the arches and the Spanish torturing people for ...I don't remember.. My Lutheran church classes before Confirmation gave a really good and not biased view of other faiths, but since I did not know, had never seen in person or on the screen any people who were Muslims, it rolled right over my head.

I really think religion is an impossible subject in public schools.
Do you remember that the Moors invaded and conquered Spain, then invaded France before they were defeated and eventually retreated back to the middle east?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.