Marion County re enstates the Confederate Flag

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Gold member
Default Marion County re enstates the Confederate Flag

News reports say the Marion County commissioners have voted to restore the confederate flag to the county buildings. I think I want to move!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Please understand that I have spent my entire life (less the last 2 years) north of the Mason Dixon line. I find it very unfortunate that a few have taken an historic flag and associated it with hate, bigotry, etc. I have no idea what the best solution is, but I hope that we can all take the high road and avoid further arguments and fights, etc. Hopefully there will be a suitable compromise.

Please do not shoot the messenger, these are just my humble thoughts.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=vi
I find it very unfortunate that a few have taken an historic flag and associated it with hate, bigotry, etc. I have no idea what the best solution.

Please do not shoot the messenger, these are just my humble thoughts.[/QUOTE]

The flag is about Southern States fighting for the right to own human beings as slaves. How is this not haterd and bigotry, it's not about rebel pride or freedom of expression, it's about a time when NO man was created equal and thousands died for such a ridiculous notion.

If Marion county can fly the Rebel Flag, I want to start a recall petition to stop this insanity.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
News reports say the Marion County commissioners have voted to restore the confederate flag to the county buildings. I think I want to move!

U didn't have a problem with it a month ago.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
The flag is about Southern States fighting for the right to own human beings as slaves. How is this not haterd and bigotry, it's not about rebel pride or freedom of expression, it's about a time when NO man was created equal and thousands died for such a ridiculous notion.

If Marion county can fly the Rebel Flag, I want to start a recall petition to stop this insanity.
A 20/20 post......gets you on the majority side.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
U didn't have a problem with it a month ago.

Flag didn't do anything but just hang around..
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Please understand that I have spent my entire life (less the last 2 years) north of the Mason Dixon line. I find it very unfortunate that a few have taken an historic flag and associated it with hate, bigotry, etc. I have no idea what the best solution is, but I hope that we can all take the high road and avoid further arguments and fights, etc. Hopefully there will be a suitable compromise.

Please do not shoot the messenger, these are just my humble thoughts.
When my POD arrives I will make sure to unpack my autographed diecast of the General Lee.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:

I'm with you there! Let me know if I can help you with the petition.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Are you aware that one of the first slave owners was a black man and there were many more if you want to do a little research.

This link will get you started if you want to put forth the effort.

America

From the article:

By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Are you aware that one of the first slave owners was a black man and there were many more if you want to do a little research.

This link will get you started if you want to put forth the effort.

America

From the article:

By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

KeepingItReal: Insightful thank you.

There is a thread in Political Talk concerning our loss of freedoms and the confederate flag issue si mentioned.

Here is my view there is a social culture war between traditionalist and the new normal. The latter did what they do with any issue they wish to change
In this case they used the Alinsky tactic of demonizing the flag so they could get rid of it. I was reared in the liberal state of New York and in my view the Confederate flag always represented part of America.

I for one support Marion counties right to flag that flag and I the same vein I abhor spineless politicians who gave in to intimidation by a group that is systematic in stripping people of their individual rights and forcing them to obey rules that against their conscience and thus violating people's constitutional rights
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM

For anyone that wants to dismiss Southern heritage (flags, statues, busts) remember this is just the start of a much larger format - first this then the American heritage. There is already a movement to remove the Declaration of Independence from view in the rotunda because of the word 'God'.
I'm basically from MN, so I was taught the Northern version of the civil War (actually the correct term is War Between the States - Congress approved). I have since studied it and the people involved and found out that I was taught - LIES.
We fly our Confederate flags proudly (there was more then just the one everyone says is bad - the rectangle flag is the Navy Jack flag, and the square one with a white border is the Northern Virginia Battle flag). My husband's 2nd Great Grandfather was a Lt. in Northern Virginia, and my 2nd Great Cousin was a Dragoon in SC - and that family was from CT. So just because your family was in the north, you might have had one that fought for the south. After all slavery did start in the north in the 1600's.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 AM

Thank you for letting people know this fact, and only 8% of southern people had slaves. The last slave to be freed was in the NORTH! People in the south were slowly emancipating 75 years BEFORE Lincoln's speech. If slavery was the cause of the war why did he bring it up 2 1/2 years AFTER the war started?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

To me, the Confederate flag is a symbol of a time in U.S. History steeped in shame. I really cannot understand why someone would want to fly it. That being said, I do believe that an individual has the right to fly that flag as much as someone who feels the need to show patriotism by flying our national flag. However, it does not belong on government grounds, any more than the Nazi flag does or a POW/MIA flag does. If it is not an official, current flag of the state or this nation, keep it private. So, State flag, yes. Old Glory, most definitely. Stars and Bars, no.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Zinn View Post
People in the south were slowly emancipating 75 years BEFORE Lincoln's speech. If slavery was the cause of the war why did he bring it up 2 1/2 years AFTER the war started?
I suggest people read The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States before trying to revise history.
It WAS about slavery.

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Sage
Fortunately South Carolina has voted to remove the confederate flag from the state house grounds after two days of debate which went into the overnight hours.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, marion, flag, confederate, restore, buildings, move, enstates, news, reports, commissioners, voted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.