Marion County re enstates the Confederate Flag

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
I suggest you read The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States before trying to revise history.
It WAS about slavery.

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States
No, if you look at history you will be they started putting tariffs on the South in the 1820's. It was about economics. Lincoln is his own words said he didn't want to go to war with the south because who would pay for the US government then. Because at the time the south was paying 75%+ in the economy.

Question for you: Why doesn't anyone ever retire to the north?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Default Shameful action

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
To me, the Confederate flag is a symbol of a time in U.S. History steeped in shame. I really cannot understand why someone would want to fly it. That being said, I do believe that an individual has the right to fly that flag as much as someone who feels the need to show patriotism by flying our national flag. However, it does not belong on government grounds, any more than the Nazi flag does or a POW/MIA flag does. If it is not an official, current flag of the state or this nation, keep it private. So, State flag, yes. Old Glory, most definitely. Stars and Bars, no.

Excellent summary, red witch.
I can't believe an agency in this day and age would vote to brandish a symbol of bigotry and hatred on government grounds. I cannot understand how they could think it is a good idea
Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Are you aware that one of the first slave owners was a black man and there were many more if you want to do a little research.

This link will get you started if you want to put forth the effort.

America

From the article:

By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

I'm confused. Does this somehow justify the cruel and inhuman practice of slavery, or indentured servitude for that matter.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Platinum member

The Confederate battle flag not only is offensive to a large segment of our tax paying population, for good reason, but it represents an act of clear and aggressive treason against our nation. If it represents your heritage for which you are proud, then fly it on your property or put it in a museum, but don't ask the taxpayers to pay to fly it, and don't be offended when those of us who support this grand union are appalled by it.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I never, ever, thought of the flag as a symbol of slavery. I just thought of it as a symbol of the rural south.

I really do think people are making too much of it. I am a northerner and my husband's ancestor captured the last flag at Appomattox. Everyone I know hates the mere mention of slavery. But history DID happen.

I think it may be the folks who have not seen the confederate flag much in their life, such as people from the Northeast who didn't grow up with it flying here and there in their childhood.

I think political correctness is getting entirely out of hand. It isn't a symbol of hatred to me, and if it were people would have been up in arms before over it.

I was saddened AND angered greatly just like everyone I knew when that hateful young man killed those good people in Charlotte. I was moved and changed when I heard the survivors forgiving the shooter. I think part of grieving is anger and the anger was directed at that flag and someone wanted to do something symbolic to make things better or show tribute.

That is my take. Hatred exists in human hearts and symbols are important but sometimes we go tooooooooo far.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Flying the Confederate "battle" flag makes no sense. It's like advertising to everyone that you got a severe ass kicking.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Flying the Confederate "battle" flag makes no sense. It's like advertising to everyone that you got a severe ass kicking.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

I thought this was a temporary measure to appease all the complaints they were getting from Marion County voters. The Commissioners plan to take it down once they have some kind of memorial set up for Confederate soldiers and their flags as part of a trail showing all the flags flown in Florida. Confederate flag flies again in Marion County after public... | www.wftv.com
Old 07-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
To me, the Confederate flag is a symbol of a time in U.S. History steeped in shame. I really cannot understand why someone would want to fly it. That being said, I do believe that an individual has the right to fly that flag as much as someone who feels the need to show patriotism by flying our national flag. However, it does not belong on government grounds, any more than the Nazi flag does or a POW/MIA flag does. If it is not an official, current flag of the state or this nation, keep it private. So, State flag, yes. Old Glory, most definitely. Stars and Bars, no.
Maybe you should read the column in the Daily Sun today; Thomas Sowell.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

If the Confederate battle flag was part of our heritage or history, then let's fly the British union jack, too.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Platinum member
Default Question

Would this even be a discussion here or anywhere else had that nut-job not posted a picture of himself holding a gun in one hand and the rebel flag in the other? I think you can thank the media for much of this, if not all, since they couldn't wait to put it out there and start stirring the pot.

Gracie's right......PC is the biggest offender in this entire nation.

There is a high school back home and their team is known as the rebels and they fly this "offending" flag. At least 3/4 of their football team is black and they are proud of both their school and their team...excellent record as well.

Many don't know this, but the first Confederate flag resembled the Stars and Stripes so closely; remember, there were not 50 stars then and the ones they had were in a circle. The first Confederate flag was almost identical. Many died from friendly fire on both sides because they could not tell who was who from a distance. Thus, the change. The Stars and Bars is actually a battle banner/flag, not the Confederate flag. Rebel is short for rebellion.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
If the Confederate battle flag was part of our heritage or history, then let's fly the British union jack, too.

You from the Northeast?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I never, ever, thought of the flag as a symbol of slavery. I just thought of it as a symbol of the rural south.

I really do think people are making too much of it. I am a northerner and my husband's ancestor captured the last flag at Appomattox. Everyone I know hates the mere mention of slavery. But history DID happen.

I think it may be the folks who have not seen the confederate flag much in their life, such as people from the Northeast who didn't grow up with it flying here and there in their childhood.

I think political correctness is getting entirely out of hand. It isn't a symbol of hatred to me, and if it were people would have been up in arms before over it.

I was saddened AND angered greatly just like everyone I knew when that hateful young man killed those good people in Charlotte. I was moved and changed when I heard the survivors forgiving the shooter. I think part of grieving is anger and the anger was directed at that flag and someone wanted to do something symbolic to make things better or show tribute.

That is my take. Hatred exists in human hearts and symbols are important but sometimes we go tooooooooo far.

Bumping my own post.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Would this even be a discussion here or anywhere else had that nut-job not posted a picture of himself holding a gun in one hand and the rebel flag in the other? I think you can thank the media for much of this, if not all, since they couldn't wait to put it out there and start stirring the pot.

Gracie's right......PC is the biggest offender in this entire nation.

There is a high school back home and their team is known as the rebels and they fly this "offending" flag. At least 3/4 of their football team is black and they are proud of both their school and their team...excellent record as well.

Many don't know this, but the first Confederate flag resembled the Stars and Stripes so closely; remember, there were not 50 stars then and the ones they had were in a circle. The first Confederate flag was almost identical. Many died from friendly fire on both sides because they could not tell who was who from a distance. Thus, the change. The Stars and Bars is actually a battle banner/flag, not the Confederate flag. Rebel is short for rebellion.

Sorry I walked on your post Dilly.

I will add that in the middle part of the U.S. in rural areas, we would see the confederate flag on barns and out buildings occasionaly, in Ohio close to the Mason Dixon line. It is just a symbol of the rural south to many of us. It is being made more out of than it should be.

No one that most of us know in this day and age would promote slavery or racial hatred. The confederate flag is to many a symbol of the part of the country that many grew up in and love. That is ALL.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Maybe you should read the column in the Daily Sun today; Thomas Sowell.
Thank you for mentioning this. Brilliant man, Thomas Sowell. Been reading him for years. BTW, Does the Japanese, Iraqi or Russian flag fly over the United Nations building in NYC...a taxpayer-supported edifice? Oh, wait...they ALL DO!

Amazon.com has banned all Confederate memorabilia from its site, but not ISIS. So who's kidding whom about political effrontery or insensitivity?

Tags
county, marion, flag, confederate, restore, buildings, move, enstates, news, reports, commissioners, voted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.