Markets of Marion

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Sage
Default Markets of Marion

I may visit the Markets of Marion when I'm in TV in July. Checked out their web site -- looks pretty good, but I would like some opinions from those that have actually been there. I've been to a few nice flea markets -- one near Orlando was very nice, and then I've been to a couple of flea markets in rural Illinois where the merchandise should probably be hauled away on trash day. Any feedback is appreciated. I will be renting in Chatham -- is that about a 15 minute car ride to the Markets of Marion?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Well worth a visit - at least once to form your own opinion, maybe more if you like it. Lots of "stuff". Some bargains, some hard-to-find stuff, and their share of rip-offs so shop carefully. Hours are very limited, especially in the summer (only Sat and Sun I think in Summer, Fri-Sat-Sun in other seasons but not sure when they change). About 15 minutes from Chatham would be correct, maybe 20 minutes tops. Leave TV around the Mulberry Rec Center/VA Clinic area onto County Road 42 (northern "boundry" of TV) and turn East (right) towards US Highway 441 (maybe 2 miles). At 441, turn left (North). Market of Marion will be on your left about 7-9 miles north of TV. If you get to the railroad bridge leading into Belleview, you missed it and went too far north - turn around and come back south a mile or so. It is fairly well marked.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

The market is very similar to all the county flea markets in Florida. The last aisle is usually the garage sale aisle. Well worth a visit.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I couldn't find anything there that made me want to buy it, but some folks just love to go there.

There were some puppies there that I loved but our kittie Mikey put the kebash on that.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Sage

I think the knock off sunglasses aisle is cool. But I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Kind of thought the puppy aisle was a little creepy for us.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

We go for the "produce aisle". Many vendors have samples of their produce that you can try. If you go later in the afternoon, nearer closing time, some of them will discount their prices. In season there are lots of folks sellling strawberries and all kinds of citrus fruits. An older gentleman sells score pads for all kinds of card games and dominoes. The market is a good place to find many of the games that we love to play and lots of vendors sell kitchen gadgets and home decor items. Yes, a lot of what you will see there is "junk" from China. We find that, unless we go early in the morning, summers there are way too warm and humid to enjoy the market for very long. It is "open air" but not air conditioned.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I couldn't find anything there that made me want to buy it, but some folks just love to go there.

There were some puppies there that I loved but our kittie Mikey put the kebash on that.
This place was selling PUPPIES??? Home grown or kennel? I would be very leary of buying a puppy there...Kind of creepy.

Last edited by ladydoc; 06-26-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Interesting place, a lot of it is junk, but it's worth a visit.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

I've been in TV 6-1/2 years and have yet to visit Market of Marion!

I have neighbors who swear by the produce. I have relatives who swear that they can't find anything they want there. I have friends who swear that they've never even heard of the place!

One of these (cooler) days, maybe I'll go just to see for myself!

SWR
Old 06-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Gold member

Been 3 times; the produce wasn't worth the ride there for us - seemed old. Great "reading" glasses though - eyeglass alley I think they call it.........
Old 06-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Wildwood is closer

I went to the Wildwood Growers MKT this Sat and although it is very small and limited to Saturday morning, the prices are better and so is the produce. That does not even take into account the savings on gasoline. I did get a Mah Jongg set there at a fairly good price, however. PS They advertise right above the messages on TOTV,

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Sage

Thanks for all the info. If I go I'd better go early to avoid the heat. Puppies?? King Magic the Awesome Black Cat of Schaumburg said no way are you allowed to bring a doggie back from Florida. He has spoken. I must obey.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Default 7$ haircut at Marion market

I got a 7$ haircut there,,,,would cost me $20 at home,,guy did a great job,,,,on my way out after my haircut a couple gals were giving me the eye,,
I thought about flirting with them but I was to busy looking at there tattoos. They have a big fat gal there that makes great pecan fudge don't miss that!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

The puppies there are puppy-mill types. Cute as anything, but definitely would not buy one there.

Produce is usually very good and fresh and better quality than Publix or Sweetbay.

Lots and lots of junk from China.

Go there and form your own opinion. It is a huge place.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Love Sunglass Alley there; hard to walk through and not buy a great pair of $5 sunglasses, and maybe $5 reading glasses; always losing them.

The place closes at 3PM, so I walk through the place and between 1:30 and 3:00 I look through the produce aisle and the guys are really ready to bargain then to get rid of their wares. What was 2 for....is now 3 for... and you buy 2 of something and they'll throw in another one. I got broccoli crowns for a song last week.

The guy in the produce aisle who sells nuts and dried fruits and seeds has some great stuff.

I like to look through the hardware stalls; the mini donuts are addictive; The used books stalls are great for us constant readers looking for a cheap treasure; the asian family that has the big paintings and framing section are worth a visit for inexpensive, but attractive wall art.

There's plenty more to kill a Saturday or Sunday afternoon browsing through, and the place is so big, you get a nice walk in the process.

Can you tell, I like the place?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.