Mccain a hero

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Wonder how our veterans feel about that.
I think this answers that question.

Veterans Group Calls Out Trump'''s '''Outrageous''' Response To John McCain'''s Death

Quote:
“AMVETS is calling on the White House to show appropriate respect for the passing of Sen. McCain,” AMVETS tweeted. “He was a war hero, twice a presidential contender, and a national treasure who devoted his entire adult life to protecting and improving the American way of life.”

The American Legion, another prominent veterans organization, also called on Trump to issue an “appropriate” proclamation honoring McCain’s legacy and ordering the nation’s flags be lowered to half-staff through the interment of his body.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Gold member

I'm a patriotic Vietnam Veteran who doesn't care much about the half-staff issue. I also think that too many times the media calls people "heroes" who are no such thing. A person must do something heroic to deserve such an honorific. That being said, John McCain was truly an American Hero. He was in very bad shape in the prisoner of war camp, had been tortured, and had an opportunity to be released early by the North Vietnamese (his father was the commander of all forces in Vietnam at the time and they were looking for a propaganda win), but Sen. McCain refused as other American prisoners had been there longer than him, and he insisted that they should get out first. That is a heroic thing to do. RIP Senator McCain.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Be careful. I understand (as of 5:30 AM) that the newest CT (conspiracy theory) is that Google is anti American and is "playing" with search results.

Anyone else google themselves first thing in the morning.?

Wonder who created this flag issue...NFL, MLB, CNN ? Now suspect Google.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is the people who do not talk much about their views and their beliefs, and their conclusions who will vote and direct this country once again. I wonder what names the voters will be called whose candidates win or lose? I am glad that in the privacy of the voting booth we have enormous power and the will of the people will again be heard.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

With the lack of an Electoral College in these elections...the will of the people will definitely be heard.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
With the lack of an Electoral College in these elections...the will of the people will definitely be heard.
Would we really want only the cities and densely populated areas being heard?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thirty days for a president. Ten days for a vice president.

Not sure how long a Senator is supposed to be.

There was no love lost between the president and Senator McCain, but I too thought the flag at the White House should have flown longer in his memory than one day.
For a member of Congress, the flag is supposed to fly at half-staff on the day that he passes and the day after. The president has extended that until McCain's burial.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

The brains and guts it takes to be a fighter pilot is something a lot of people cannot begin to grasp.

John McCain did not waste his gifts.

He had great respect for the American people and no problem speaking up -- even now.

- - - - - - - - (sigh)

Dear John,

I did not vote for you. Mr. Boomer did. I really liked you. But as a woman, I was so insulted by that running mate, I could not do it. There were so many better choices. You should have picked a different woman.

Oh well. I still like you and I respect you. Yes. You are a hero.

Sincerely,
Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-28-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: I always end up editing after posting
Old 08-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Many otheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
For a member of Congress, the flag is supposed to fly at half-staff on the day that he passes and the day after. The president has extended that until McCain's burial.
The flag has remained at half staff for many Senators until their burial. The flag was lowered yesterday after the backlash from the American Legion and many others.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The flag has remained at half staff for many Senators until their burial. The flag was lowered yesterday after the backlash from the American Legion and many others.
Shhhhhhh

Do not confuse these folks with facts.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The brains and guts it takes to be a fighter pilot is something a lot of people cannot begin to grasp.
The man's legacy should not be tarnished but nor should it be overrated. So to that end, I would point out that he finished 894 out of 899 in his graduating class at Annapolis. Also George W Bush was a "fighter pilot" in the Texas Nat'l guard from '68-74 who flew an F-102.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Sage

It appears the overriding theme is......

Damn these people for actually participating in defending our country
Old 08-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Sage

Most talk on this subject brings out the very worst in all of us. The gloating, the jabs, the gotcha's that goes way beyond disagreement of ideas. It is ugly as hell. And the meandering around ideas and even the hypersensitivity and the subject changing. I don't like that forum and I am glad it's gone. I actually envision some posters wetting their drawers they get SO upset.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-28-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Most talk on this subject brings out the very worst in all of us. The gloating, the jabs, the gotcha's that goes way beyond disagreement of ideas. It is ugly as hell. And the meandering around ideas and even the hypersensitivity and the subject changing. I don't like that forum and I am glad it's gone. I actually envision some posters wetting their drawers they get SO upset.
While it in fact HAS become a thread attacking Sen McCain, it is still a wonder how many take time to attack him. I do not get the purpose.

All over the country (except certain places in our capital) and through the world people are lauding him, YET on here we attack.

Tells, and has told a lot, about the posters on here. This was not INTENDED to be political, but from the first post folks have been on the attack. The normal response to having someone you think is a hero, is to do a comparison. Then other posters who fail to understand why, or even care about the original intent start with the reporting of "political".

Do you really feel all the attacks on Sen. McCain are really appropriate?. I mean folks have run to very far right and left wing extremists to get INCORRECT AND OUT OF CONTEXT quotes to get after his legacy. Of course our POTUS leads, and that alone will have you running to the mods, but it is true, and just a simple statement and adherence to the countries wishes to honor him would have been all needed.

It seems to me that the apparent need to hate somebody, or spread a fear has become chronic.....NONE OF the fears ever come to fruition, but it makes a lot of money for the extreme sites.

And "THIS SUBJECT" you refer to was to honor a man. Pretty simple,

Last edited by Bucco; 08-28-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
You say you're glad it's gone and you didn't like it, but you were a regular contributor. Anyhow, I liked how you worked "gotcha" into your post.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
true, mccain, day, honor, hoping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.