The media does often seem to fan the flames.

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Malik Zulu Shabazz, the main speaker and instigator of the "peaceful protest" is the head of the New Black Panther Movement. His hateful agenda is most likely the reason there isn't more widespread coverage in the mainstream media. During the peaceful protests he was calling for the rioters to "shut it down" meaning the city of Baltimore. Carl Dix, the spokesperson for the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA was also in attendance at this rally. There were other radicals in attendance.

bump
Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I liked what David Muir did last night like interviewing some elementary teachers who were protesting against the violence along with many other people. He was right their at the dividing line between the police line and that of the protesters.

Some media can be different.

Also liked Jon Steward's comment about caring about Baltimore before in was on fire.

I know about the "if it bleeds, it leads" philosophy. Anyone remember the movie or play The Front Page? It still seems relevant in 2015. I saw a play of it at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021890/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Front_Page http://www.guthrietheater.org/about_...right_19861995
Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
As I have told my kids....YOUR most recent act defines you. You can do all kinds of good things, but if you screw up, that is what folks are gonna remember.

A bunch of good mama's and papa's could help this whole damn situation, if you ask me.
If I recall the Scott Adams quote, one "Oh sh*t" can erase a thousand "Attaboys".
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Sage

At the risk of being beat up I would like to say that FOX NEWS last night did an excellent job of showing the other side of the protest. The lines of community members placing themselves between the police and the protestors, interviewing community leaders and showing them encouraging people to go home and honor the curfew.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The media stays in tight and it gives one the impression that Baltimore is out of control.

Early today there was a news report showing the typical in close proximity scene with the protestors. Then tha camera pulled back (in a helicopter) and in less than two blocks there was hardly anybody out and about.

Remember the media views most issues/events through a straw. If they were looking at the side of an elephant they would be tap dancing around with how the world is all of a sudden turning gray!!
I saw that last night. I agree with your post, and the "through a straw" analogy.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Peaceful protests are one of our rights under the Constitution. It is not really newsworthy when people exercise their rights. OK, it might be a bit more newsworthy when a lot of people exercise their rights at the same time, but it still doesn't warrant the coverage that thousands of people breaking the law by rioting, setting fires, looting and assaulting the police would.

Peaceful protests go on every day in this country. They're not really news.
What's going on in Baltimore is news.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Sage

You can do something to alleviate the affects of such violence as that you saw in Baltimore.

If you have a hometown library which you used to visit check their website for links to victim/assistance provides, mental health support groups and practical materials, NOLO legal materials about your rights, and whatever else your wisdom about your old community tells you that someone in a situation like that of Baltimore might need.

Check the hometown police department web-site as well. Does it have links to victim/assistance providers, mental health assistance, etc?

I have been pestering librarians all over the US about such resources on -and-off since 2000 mainly focusing on survivors/victims rights/services materials but see that mental health resources are also critical.

Nolo materials-- http://www.nolo.com/?utm_source=goog...%20forms|pmt|b

Here's something in Florida that you would hope would be linked from Sheriffs' Offices and all public libraries-- http://myfloridalegal.com/directory
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Peaceful protests are one of our rights under the Constitution. It is not really newsworthy when people exercise their rights. OK, it might be a bit more newsworthy when a lot of people exercise their rights at the same time, but it still doesn't warrant the coverage that thousands of people breaking the law by rioting, setting fires, looting and assaulting the police would.

Peaceful protests go on every day in this country. They're not really news.
What's going on in Baltimore is news.
Large peaceful protests almost always make the news. I remember taking part in a very large group of people trying to create a chain of people around Rocky Mountain Flats. This made the national news.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Not sure why your source calls 235 arrests mere "dozens".
There were 159 fires and 20 injured police officers.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm still in shock that obama called the rioters and looters "thugs".
Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
He no longer needs to worry about votes.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
He called rioters and looters thugs. What's so shocking about that? Seems to be a proper term to me.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Better than his last quote..............he could have been my son.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
In "schock". You must be kidding.

Thug | Definition of thug by Merriam-Webster
Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Maybe I'm missing something...
when Ferguson was getting torn up there was this demand that the Mayor and Police chief had to go. Why is this different?
Suddenly it's time for "the nation to do some soul searching..."
Also, can anyone explain what the National Guard was called out for? Same thing in Ferguson - have a huge police presence and National Guard and they stand around watching the place get looted and burned down.
Some moron was on TV yesterday bragging about how quickly he responded to the decision to have the National Guard on standby. Why did they bother?
Of the arrests. How many were just "failure to disperse." I would be shocked if there were any arsonists or looters arrested. The Mayor and Police Chief don't really sound overly concerned i.e. "they're children" "it's only property."

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.