The Media Hypocrisy

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran member
Default The Media Hypocrisy

There are recent posts in other threads which suggested that the media limit their coverage of mass shootings so that the shooter doesn't become glorified and "set a new high score" for others to top. This has been proposed at least going back to 2015 (Newsweek), yet the media has still not changed their reporting style.

A video was posted which opened with a suggestion that perhaps the government should impose limitations on the press around mass shootings, and immediately there was an uproar about infringing on the first amendment rights of the media.

Here is a link to the original video, "How to Stop The Media From Inspiring Killers", in its entirety. Don't make the same mistake that many in the media and others did and only watch some of the video-watch the entire video, it is only 4 minutes and 41 seconds long. And to be transparent, the host is with the NRA, but even if you disagree with the NRA, you should still watch this video to see how quickly the media is ready to rush to judge, condemn and erroneously report without all of the facts. Yes, facts DO matter.

The uproar and subsequent inflammatory tweets that followed were clearly based upon approximately the first 2 minutes and 48 seconds of the 4 minute 41 second video. The host clearly and unequivocally states at 3 minutes and 5 seconds that "hearing him advocate to limit anyone's first amendment rights should anger you." And at 3 minutes 43 seconds he vehemently disagrees with the government infringing on the media's first amendment rights just as he vehemently opposes the government from infringing upon the second amendment rights. "The constitution is the constitution, it is not an ala carte menu. All the amendments need to be respected to the same standard" (Colion Noir).

Here is the follow-up video (about 10 minutes long) (link) which covers the uproar, and shows various tweets of people including the media (such as CNN) who were ready to state their opinions without even having viewed the entire content (in other words, to them FACTS DID NOT MATTER).

It would therefore appear that the media is going to continue to "glorify" these monsters, giving them the notoriety they seek, because of the media's first amendment right to do so. Don't touch the first amendment, but by all means erase the second. Perhaps David Hogg should call for a boycott of the media, since the media is throwing gasoline on the fire, potentially at the expense of the lives of more children.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,614 Times in 1,760 Posts

The media want to shape public opinion so they selectively and with their slant publicize various events.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-26-2018, 12:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

The media vilifies these shooters. It does not glorify them.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right, but nobody has a responsibility. Sad....for the first time in my life, I am glad I am getting old.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The media vilifies these shooters. It does not glorify them.
Speaking logically, I would concur. However the perspective of these monsters is much different. They see "the glory" in obtaining fame, getting the "high score", heck there are those who received love letters. Interviews with the shooters that have been arrested speak specifically to the fame and score that they are trying to get/beat.

So when people question what we can do now, why is the media not stepping up to the plate and helping by minimizing the sensationalism? Suicides have been "downplayed" by the media when it was shown that it could help by doing so, so they have shown it is possible. They do not need a change in law to do so, they can self minimize. You could therefore argue that the media, by it own actions, are a contributory affect encouraging these shooters. Downplaying the reporting may not stop all shootings, but studies indicate that it may contribute. If that contribution means one less shooting, aren't the lives of those school kids and teachers (and the impact to their families) worth it?

My opinion is that if they eliminate the sensationalism, it impacts their ability to continue to push their agenda on eliminating the second amendment, by using the shootings to condemn the NRA. As the host of the videos pointed out, they hide behind the first amendment to attack the second, even at the cost of more children's lives.

How ironic is that?

Last edited by Trayderjoe; 05-26-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right, but nobody has a responsibility. Sad....for the first time in my life, I am glad I am getting old.
I would only change "everybody" and"nobody" with "many people", but your point is well taken!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:04 AM

Unfortunately " the media " provides what society wants. " The media " for the most part is composed of for profit corporations which rely on high ratings to attract advertising dollars. Advertising dollars for the most part come from the advertising budgets of other for profit corporations. Society in general insists on sensationalism and the more sensational, the higher the ratings. Altruism pays no part what so ever in this cycle. Where do you start to disassemble same ? Since the days of " the Roman Circus " the public gets want it wants. It is not the guns. It is not the media. It is not the legal system. All responsibility rests directly on the shoulders of the public which comprises society. No " fix " is possible in the absence of an authoritarian government which directly controls all the facets and instrumentalities of society. Personally, democracy and capitalism remain my choices despite all their warts. Just a few random thoughts on my part, and I guess the point is, society will eventually decide on a course of action, or inaction, to address the problem. That is a messy process and is taking place under our noses as the debate goes on.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Unfortunately " the media " provides what society wants. " The media " for the most part is composed of for profit corporations which rely on high ratings to attract advertising dollars. Advertising dollars for the most part come from the advertising budgets of other for profit corporations. Society in general insists on sensationalism and the more sensational, the higher the ratings. Altruism pays no part what so ever in this cycle. Where do you start to disassemble same ? Since the days of " the Roman Circus " the public gets want it wants. It is not the guns. It is not the media. It is not the legal system. All responsibility rests directly on the shoulders of the public which comprises society. No " fix " is possible in the absence of an authoritarian government which directly controls all the facets and instrumentalities of society. Personally, democracy and capitalism remain my choices despite all their warts. Just a few random thoughts on my part, and I guess the point is, society will eventually decide on a course of action, or inaction, to address the problem. That is a messy process and is taking place under our noses as the debate goes on.
Agreed. How many times have you heard, "And Channel _X_ was first on the scene and the first to bring you this report."?
Old 05-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well said! There is a price we pay for the freedoms that we enjoy, and I too prefer the warts than to have an authoritarian government. I appreciate the thoughtful comments.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
unfortunately " the media " provides what society wants. " the media " for the most part is composed of for profit corporations which rely on high ratings to attract advertising dollars. Advertising dollars for the most part come from the advertising budgets of other for profit corporations. Society in general insists on sensationalism and the more sensational, the higher the ratings. Altruism pays no part what so ever in this cycle. Where do you start to disassemble same ? Since the days of " the roman circus " the public gets want it wants. It is not the guns. It is not the media. It is not the legal system. All responsibility rests directly on the shoulders of the public which comprises society.

no " fix " is possible in the absence of an authoritarian government which directly controls all the facets and instrumentalities of society. Personally, democracy and capitalism remain my choices despite all their warts.

Just a few random thoughts on my part, and i guess the point is, society will eventually decide on a course of action, or inaction, to address the problem. That is a messy process and is taking place under our noses as the debate goes on.
Yep!
Old 05-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

How student journalists are telling their own story after Parkland shooting - YouTube

There are journalists who show quite a bit of compassion for the people they are interviewing. Steve Hartman is one of the best.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
How student journalists are telling their own story after Parkland shooting - YouTube

There are journalists who show quite a bit of compassion for the people they are interviewing. Steve Hartman is one of the best.
good link
The parkland students seem to come out of central casting. They carry themselves as if they were 10 years older.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
good link

The parkland students seem to come out of central casting.

They carry themselves as if they were 10 years older.
Yep.

The intelligence and ability to articulately express themselves, along with the many polls and articles I've seen...gives me a lot of hope in most of our younger generation.

The data are in: Young people are definitely less racist than old people — Quartz

Quote:
Again, in 1958, only 4% of Americans approved of interracial marriage according to Gallup polling.

Support only crossed the 50% threshold in 1997.

It has now reached 87%.

Although people can lie to surveyors about their beliefs, the polling matches up with behavioral change.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

The intelligence and ability to articulately express themselves, along with the many polls and articles I've seen...gives me a lot of hope in most of our younger generation.

The data are in: Young people are definitely less racist than old people — Quartz
goo to Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis - The Washington Post and look for the number of shootings since 1999

I thought they would have doubled every year. The media doesn't make that clear. I wonder how many plots were thwarted by teachers, parents, friends, ministers.....
Old 05-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Platinum member
Angry Sad to say.........

Sad to say, the motto of the media appears to be "If it bleeds, it leads."

Sensationalism used to sell newspapers. Now it attracts TV viewers.

The news agencies whip it up for all its worth to get and keep an audience.

Tags
media, amendment, video, minutes, rights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.