Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Media predictions about Florida

Florida will be the next New York

Florida will be an Uber Italy

Florida will be the next hot spot

oops!!

• U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista

Map of US counties Covid 19 confirmed deaths, click to enlarge

Green counties = 1/3 of all deaths (85% of US population)
Yellow counties = 1/3 of all deaths (11% of US population)
Red counties = 1/3 of all deaths (4% of US population)

eyertn2umae6ibx-jpg

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-20-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:00 PM
Gold member

So sick of Media reporting. For every report one way you can find one the opposite. Same with Poles.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

My secondary filter is anything with "media reporting".

Primary filter is anything stated by a politician.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 PM

Well the gov let the press have it today regarding these predictions.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Well the gov let the press have it today regarding these predictions.
Yes he did, also shot down the fake news about a "scientist" who got fired from the Florida dashboard group.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Florida will be the next New York

Florida will be an Uber Italy

Florida will be the next hot spot

oops!!

• U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista

Map of US counties Covid 19 confirmed deaths, click to enlarge

Green counties = 1/3 of all deaths (85% of US population)
Yellow counties = 1/3 of all deaths (11% of US population)
Red counties = 1/3 of all deaths (4% of US population)

Attachment 84203
I don't agree with YOUR exaggerated titles. We all read on this forum and discussed an opinion piece by someone on The New York Times that was looking at us in The Villages as a potentially dangerous area for the virus because of our age.

I think that Governor DeSantis really set his foot down early on and may have spared us more deaths. As to the rest, an observer might wonder why we didn't have a big flare up and more deaths. We do have an older population, and we are the third most populous state in the U.S. but I keep wondering what was the factor? Is it our warm climate?

Personally, I think Governor Cuomo and Governor DeWine did good jobs trying to manage the outbreaks. No one really knew for sure WHAT to expect. They were still floundering in Italy and China trying to figure it out.

We started the quarantine right around March 13th, Friday the 13th. That was really a very short time from the first reported deaths in Wuhan in late November. People were trying to figure out whether it was going to be a hard seasonal virus year at first... I am not a person who believes conspiracy theories. Until someone can prove me wrong, it is a mutation of a nasty virus, heretofore not known to the medical community or mankind.

As we look back it was not handled well...probably because no one really knew what to expect. That is not limited to the U.S. The Prime Minister and the heir apparent to the throne in U.K. both caught Covid-19. Other leaders of countries sickened with it as well.

We still have not sorted it out well. We still have much to learn. Is Kawasaki Syndrome that affects children part of it. How about blood clots in large vessels in younger people?

We don't have many answers. We don't even know what questions to ask, so like most humans ...we taunt each other.

Ugly.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't agree with YOUR exaggerated titles. We all read on this forum and discussed an opinion piece by someone on The New York Times that was looking at us in The Villages as a potentially dangerous area for the virus because of our age.

I think that Governor DeSantis really set his foot down early on and may have spared us more deaths. As to the rest, an observer might wonder why we didn't have a big flare up and more deaths. We do have an older population, and we are the third most populous state in the U.S. but I keep wondering what was the factor? Is it our warm climate?

Personally, I think Governor Cuomo and Governor DeWine did good jobs trying to manage the outbreaks. No one really knew for sure WHAT to expect. They were still floundering in Italy and China trying to figure it out.

We started the quarantine right around March 13th, Friday the 13th. That was really a very short time from the first reported deaths in Wuhan in late November. People were trying to figure out whether it was going to be a hard seasonal virus year at first... I am not a person who believes conspiracy theories. Until someone can prove me wrong, it is a mutation of a nasty virus, heretofore not known to the medical community or mankind.

As we look back it was not handled well...probably because no one really knew what to expect. That is not limited to the U.S. The Prime Minister and the heir apparent to the throne in U.K. both caught Covid-19. Other leaders of countries sickened with it as well.

We still have not sorted it out well. We still have much to learn. Is Kawasaki Syndrome that affects children part of it. How about blood clots in large vessels in younger people?

We don't have many answers. We don't even know what questions to ask, so like most humans ...we taunt each other.

Ugly.
Exaggerated titles?

Florida could be the next New York in the coronavirus outbreak

Florida could be the next New York in the coronavirus outbreak

A demographer says Florida could be 'like an uber-Italy'

Coronavirus could make Florida '''like an uber-Italy,''' demographer says - Business Insider

Florida is looking like the next major US hotspot of COVID-19

Kinsa thermometer readings: Florida may be a COVID-19 hotspot in US - Business Insider

Is Florida the next epicenter of the coronavirus in the US

Is Florida the next epicenter of the coronavirus in the US? | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-20-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Personally, I think Governor Cuomo and Governor DeWine did good jobs trying to manage the outbreaks.

Yikes

New York and several other states forced nursing homes to accept covid 19 patients which has resulted in over 5000 deaths in New York nursing homes alone. That's more than double ALL covid 19 deaths in Florida

Florida did the opposite, and sent them to the hospital immediately. Florida, DeSantis notes, “required all staff and any worker that entered to be screened for COVID illness, temperature checks. Anybody that’s symptomatic would just simply not be allowed to go in.” And it required staff to wear PPE. “We put our money where our mouth is,” he continues. “We recognized that a lot of these facilities were just not prepared to deal with something like this. So we ended up sending a total of 10 million masks just to our long-term-care facilities, a million gloves, half a million face shields.”

I guess if killing grandma and grandpa is doing a good job then you are correct.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:27 PM

My primary filter is when an "expert" tells us what to do!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:54 AM
Default Agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
So sick of Media reporting. For every report one way you can find one the opposite. Same with Poles.
The media is totally untrustworthy. Most moved from journalism to opinion a long time ago. Trust common sense and cautious behavior to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (Wuhan Virus).
Old 05-21-2020, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

I think the media should be quarantined fo 8 weeks, then let’s see where we are at.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:27 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
i'se amazed,,, what in hell do the polish people have to do with this ?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:37 AM

A little bored ?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:38 AM
Default Quarantine the media - 8 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysblue View Post
I think the media should be quarantined fo 8 weeks, then let’s see where we are at.
What an incredibly awesome idea - quarantine the "main stream" media! Just think how it would help on many levels.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Whichever television news channels you watch, you can be certain that what purports to be “news” will be alarmist, meant to rile you up—whatever your political persuasion—and make you angry enough to watch at least until the next advertisement. If you doubt it, think about television weather reports about storms: “This could be the worst storm ever!” The news stations are in it for the money. If it doesn’t have video to go with it, usually they don’t show it. They count on interviews with “man-on-the-street” people who are emotional, as if they knew anything or as if that mattered. They just want to keep you watching—and afraid.

I don’t watch these stations at all unless I’m somewhere where they are on. I have a friend who was hooked on them and filled with anxiety and fear about the virus. A couple weeks ago she decided to stop watching and just read the papers. Now she feels much less anxious.

As for The Villages, our salvation is due to our living one or two to a house, with plenty of places to walk or ride and get some heat, sun, and exercise. That, combined with having so many businesses and activities closed or limited. Whether we want to or not, we have found social distancing quite easy. If New York City was spread out the way The Villages is, its death rate would be more like ours. (Of course, maybe it would be spread out all the way to Niagara Falls.)
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, counties, deaths, 1/3, click

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.