Media predictions about Florida

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 05-21-2020, 10:22 AM
cheweycat cheweycat is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks: 85
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Was that an ethnic smear about Poles or did u mean polls.
  #47  
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Diane Allen Diane Allen is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmcaninch View Post
What an incredibly awesome idea - quarantine the "main stream" media! Just think how it would help on many levels.
Quarantine the main stream media? That's the best suggestion I've ever heard on this forum, and this is first time I've posted anything. I just had to agree in print.
  #48  
Old 05-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Aloha1 Aloha1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 729
Thanks: 314
Thanked 218 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post

Video proof:

Twitter
Apparently you didn't notice the dates on those selective clips. All BEFORE things got serious. In the same time frame we had WHO saying "No human to human transmission" and "Not going to be a pandemic". Also Fauci stating "Americans have nothing to worry about". Not one of the clips you listed had anyone saying it was a hoax.
__________________
Roseville, MI, East Lansing, MI, Okemos, MI, Kapalua, HI, Village of Pine Ridge

Last edited by Aloha1; 05-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.
  #49  
Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM
thomp679 thomp679 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 123
Thanks: 108
Thanked 116 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by regas56 View Post
As we excitedly wait for a Coronavirus vaccine to keep us safe again we must not forget that 45,000 - 65,000 die in the US every year from Influenza even WITH a flu Vaccine.. I wonder where those numbers would be without a vaccine, I myself haven't had the flu in 15 years or so since taking the flu shot.. I think the mortality rate will continue to decline as we accept the responsibility of protecting ourselves and not expecting the Government to do it for us..
Well we are at double that death rate in just two months vs 12 months and as we 'responsibly' press to open up for political reasons, the US will be in have a lot more deaths. I hope you are right, but I am a realist.
  #50  
Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 PM
Boomer Boomer is offline
Soaring Parsley
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I commend you for admitting your error. Most here never do this. I am giving you a star for honest behavior.

However, your first comment in this thread sort of accused me of posting exaggerated titles or headlines. In fact I took those Florida scare headlines direct from the media. You should know by now I don't make posts without backup.

“A gold star,” you say. Gimme a break. That has to be one of the most arrogant, condescending remarks I have ever seen on TOTV.

As far as your backup goes, you pick and choose whatever fits your political leanings. Cutting and pasting and linking become meaningless because the internet will belch up anything you want to believe — and, btw, many of your thread titles are a little on the tabloid-y side.

Also, I do not think awarding yourself bragging rights is appropriate. Stringing together the thoughts of others just because they bend your way is not an accomplishment. No “gold star” for you.

(Ironically, I probably will get reported and this post deleted while the on-and-on leaflet drops continue, even though that political tone gets louder every day. I have got to stop looking at TOTV. At least I am doing so less and less.)
  #51  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:02 PM
larcha larcha is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 39
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Thanks for being the "voice in the wilderness".
  #52  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:04 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,598
Thanks: 9
Thanked 829 Times in 316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson View Post
I know I have been singing a minority song Covid-19 started. Being an old dude, I remember 1968, even though I spent the year in Viet Nam.

Over 100,000 Americans and over one million worldwide, died from the Hong Kong flu. Like corona virus, it was a horrible thing and people died. We did what we could to stay safe and went on with our lives. Six months later we had 400,000 in the filth of Woodstock, with no ill effects.

I'm not minimizing, at all, the tragedy of death! I am lamenting that we became a socialistic, and in many ways cowardly country! We have already spent TRILLIONS of our kids dollars and destroyed this country's economy with a needless "lock-down" that will take MORE than a generation to recover. The bankruptcies and deaths caused by the lock down will dwarf the benefits.

A TINY example of the side effects: EVERY month 150,000 plus Americans get diagnosed with a form of cancer. We are at the point of medical expertise that early diagnosis of most cancers result in remission success and those folks can lead a full life. For the last two months virtually NO Americans were lucky enough to get that early diagnosis because of individual fear of going outside to the doctors or simply because hospitals, clinics etc. were closed for all but emergencies and corona virus treatment.
Should have mentioned that this is your opinion, based on the facts that substantiate what you want them to. Nothing wrong with that, only that there are many that will be on the other side using the facts that substantiage what they want them to. Whatever is done their will be consequences, some won't see their grandkids grow up, some will lose their jobs but most importantly, we will all be inconvienenced to some level and that is enough to take risks. The only truth will be in hindsight.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #53  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,869
Thanks: 0
Thanked 931 Times in 436 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
“A gold star,” you say. Gimme a break. That has to be one of the most arrogant, condescending remarks I have ever seen on TOTV.

As far as your backup goes, you pick and choose whatever fits your political leanings. Cutting and pasting and linking become meaningless because the internet will belch up anything you want to believe — and, btw, many of your thread titles are a little on the tabloid-y side.

Also, I do not think awarding yourself bragging rights is appropriate. Stringing together the thoughts of others just because they bend your way is not an accomplishment. No “gold star” for you.

(Ironically, I probably will get reported and this post deleted while the on-and-on leaflet drops continue, even though that political tone gets louder every day. I have got to stop looking at TOTV. At least I am doing so less and less.)
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #54  
Old 05-21-2020, 02:37 PM
mydavid mydavid is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 49
Thanks: 4
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't agree with YOUR exaggerated titles. We all read on this forum and discussed an opinion piece by someone on The New York Times that was looking at us in The Villages as a potentially dangerous area for the virus because of our age.

I think that Governor DeSantis really set his foot down early on and may have spared us more deaths. As to the rest, an observer might wonder why we didn't have a big flare up and more deaths. We do have an older population, and we are the third most populous state in the U.S. but I keep wondering what was the factor? Is it our warm climate?

Personally, I think Governor Cuomo and Governor DeWine did good jobs trying to manage the outbreaks. No one really knew for sure WHAT to expect. They were still floundering in Italy and China trying to figure it out.

We started the quarantine right around March 13th, Friday the 13th. That was really a very short time from the first reported deaths in Wuhan in late November. People were trying to figure out whether it was going to be a hard seasonal virus year at first... I am not a person who believes conspiracy theories. Until someone can prove me wrong, it is a mutation of a nasty virus, heretofore not known to the medical community or mankind.

As we look back it was not handled well...probably because no one really knew what to expect. That is not limited to the U.S. The Prime Minister and the heir apparent to the throne in U.K. both caught Covid-19. Other leaders of countries sickened with it as well.

We still have not sorted it out well. We still have much to learn. Is Kawasaki Syndrome that affects children part of it. How about blood clots in large vessels in younger people?

We don't have many answers. We don't even know what questions to ask, so like most humans ...we taunt each other.

Ugly.
That's pretty much it in a nut shell
  #55  
Old 05-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Don Ferguson Don Ferguson is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 22
Thanks: 286
Thanked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Well we are at double that death rate in just two months vs 12 months and as we 'responsibly' press to open up for political reasons, the US will be in have a lot more deaths. I hope you are right, but I am a realist.
Sorry, but you are not a realist at all.

We (The US) are flagrantly exaggerating the Corona Virus deaths. Just two quick examples: Google the CDC web site and see the actual four page instructions for filling out death certificates. It includes such exact instructions as "...if it is probable or even possible that the subject had covid-19 ...." count them. No tests or autopsy required. Two years ago we had 81,000 deaths from flu. Last year 36,000. Look up this year's numbers. They are ZERO! Any flu like symptoms are being classified as corona virus! The approved hospital reimbursement for a Covid-19 patient is $19,000. Routine flu reimbursement is capped at $6,000. Which one do you think that the struggling hospitals are going to use?

Last edited by Don Ferguson; 05-21-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar
  #56  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:18 PM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 151
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Florida will be the next New York

Florida will be an Uber Italy

Florida will be the next hot spot

oops!!

• U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista

Map of US counties Covid 19 confirmed deaths, click to enlarge

Green counties = 1/3 of all deaths (85% of US population)
Yellow counties = 1/3 of all deaths (11% of US population)
Red counties = 1/3 of all deaths (4% of US population)

Attachment 84203
Fl, Ga, and other state and the CDC have severely undercounted their cases and deaths.
  #57  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,674
Thanks: 1,457
Thanked 1,510 Times in 486 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson View Post
Sorry, but you are not a realist at all.

We (The US) are flagrantly exaggerating the Corona Virus deaths. Just two quick examples: Google the CDC web site and see the actual four page instructions for filling out death certificates. It includes such exact instructions as "...if it is probable or even possible that the subject had covid-19 ...." count them. No tests or autopsy required. Two years ago we had 81,000 deaths from flu. Last year 36,000. Look up this year's numbers. They are ZERO! Any flu like symptoms are being classified as corona virus! The approved hospital reimbursement for a Covid-19 patient is $19,000. Routine flu reimbursement is capped at $6,000. Which one do you think that the struggling hospitals are going to use?
I just looked up this year's numbers. Estimated deaths from Influenza is between 24,000 and 62,000, per the CDC website.

Estimated from last year was not 36,000, it was 34,200.

Estimated from the year before was 61,099, not 81,000.

The estimates are more specific after the data can be thoroughly examined, and since this year's flu season just ended a few weeks ago, it can't be any more specific yet.

Tone down the hyperbole, especially if you want to make statements that sound like facts, but have no actual facts to back them up.

You can find all this information on the CDC website.
  #58  
Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 PM
thomp679 thomp679 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 123
Thanks: 108
Thanked 116 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson View Post
Sorry, but you are not a realist at all.

We (The US) are flagrantly exaggerating the Corona Virus deaths. Just two quick examples: Google the CDC web site and see the actual four page instructions for filling out death certificates. It includes such exact instructions as "...if it is probable or even possible that the subject had covid-19 ...." count them. No tests or autopsy required. Two years ago we had 81,000 deaths from flu. Last year 36,000. Look up this year's numbers. They are ZERO! Any flu like symptoms are being classified as corona virus! The approved hospital reimbursement for a Covid-19 patient is $19,000. Routine flu reimbursement is capped at $6,000. Which one do you think that the struggling hospitals are going to use?
So you are saying that the current administration who is in charge of the CDC is lying to us. Regurgitation of comments from a Fox News contributor on the Laura Inghram show is your argument? A world conspiracy to get Trump out of office and rip off the government.

So yes, I am a realist. By the way, those comments didn't quite check out. At least this organization sources their facts.

PolitiFact | Fact-check: Hospitals and COVID-19 payments

Last edited by thomp679; 05-21-2020 at 10:09 PM.
  #59  
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 AM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 3,918
Thanks: 63
Thanked 131 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Exaggerated titles?

Florida could be the next New York in the coronavirus outbreak

Florida could be the next New York in the coronavirus outbreak

A demographer says Florida could be 'like an uber-Italy'

Coronavirus could make Florida '''like an uber-Italy,''' demographer says - Business Insider

Florida is looking like the next major US hotspot of COVID-19

Kinsa thermometer readings: Florida may be a COVID-19 hotspot in US - Business Insider

Is Florida the next epicenter of the coronavirus in the US

Is Florida the next epicenter of the coronavirus in the US? | Daily Mail Online
It's not over til the fat lady sings......stay tuned to the "2nd wave"
  #60  
Old 05-22-2020, 03:45 AM
jebartle's Avatar
jebartle jebartle is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LaZamora Village
Posts: 3,918
Thanks: 63
Thanked 131 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Allen View Post
Quarantine the main stream media? That's the best suggestion I've ever heard on this forum, and this is first time I've posted anything. I just had to agree in print.
Quarantine the politicans!
Reply

Tags
florida, counties, deaths, 1/3, click

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.