Medicare for All

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
One thing that has bothered me for years is the fact that the AMA Has limited the amount of doctors that graduate every year. Everybody screamed competition competition will lower the cost of everything from airplane flights to buying widgets. I think it is a big Foss that only a certain few select people from either A certain ethnicity Or an affluent family get accepted to med school every year this is baloney. I'm quite sure in this country there are many qualified students who could become doctors and do a fabulous job. We have enough English majors and people who graduate and going to social services in this country. We could mass-produce doctors the same way we mass-produce lawyers. Some of these nurse practitioners are as qualified as many of the doctors practicing today. So let's start with controlling the health cost at its source. That's enough I'll only go on and on most people will not agree with me that's your prerogative.
The problem isn't so much producing more doctors, but making it a viable career path. A doctor comes out of school with a mountain of debt, and very little earning ability. A few "get rich", most work themselves to death trying to pay the bills, pay the staff, pay the student loan, pay the insurance, etc.

Many (most?) leave private gate practice and go with a group where they have lower expenses, but a huge work load and little satisfaction.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Affordable health care/coverage should be a 'RIGHT' for EVERY American man, woman and child...period.
Yes, if everyone in their own minds viewed healthcare as a right, not a privilege, the mechanisms to accomplish at least basic healthcare for all would be easier to work on.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

People are really missing the target when it comes to evaluating healthcare costs. The elephant in the room is the rise in costs after the healthcare sector went public. How many of you own some type of healthcare stock? For every service or product provided, the cost has to be padded significantly to feed the stockholders who provide nothing.

The healthcare sector in the market took a big hit when the talk of Medicare for All started his spring. How did we, as Americans, allow the “something for nothing” stock market into the healthcare for all of us? The only profit required in medical care should be strictly for education, maintenance, development and employment of top notch medical personnel.

Someone sitting on their sofa making money off the medical issues of fellow citizens is revolting to me. There are plenty of other “something for nothing “ stocks in which to invest.

Medical healthcare should not be a public stock ever.

Last edited by Aces4; 09-15-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage

So, companies that develop and manufacture medical instrumentation do not have a right to make a profit and reward the stock holders who put their money at risk? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
People are really missing the target when it comes to evaluating healthcare costs. The elephant in the room is the rise in costs after the healthcare sector went public. How many of you own some type of healthcare stock? For every service or product provided, the cost has to be padded significantly to feed the stockholders who provide nothing.

The healthcare sector in the market took a big hit when the talk of Medicare for All started his spring. How did we, as Americans, allow the “something for nothing” stock market into the healthcare for all of us? The only profit required in medical care should be strictly for education, maintenance, development and employment of top notch medical personnel.

Someone sitting on their sofa making money off the medical issues of fellow citizens is revolting to me. There are plenty of other “something for nothing “ stocks in which to invest.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post

"For profit" companies competing for business brings the cost of everything down, not up. This applies to all products and services, not just health care. Remember the 800 dollar hammer that the Government bought? Today, you can buy one at Walmart for less than 4 dollars.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
So, companies that develop and manufacture medical instrumentation do not have a right to make a profit and reward the stock holders who put their money at risk? Really?
“Put your money at risk in healthcare sector”, oxymoron. The only risk is if Medicare for All is implemented. Those healthcare stocks are swinging high, if you follow the market at all. I listed where the profits can be manifested. Of course, the company and any employees are entitled to a reasonable profit and you know that wasn’t what was being said.

Stockholders out on the golf course, fishing on their boat, traveling through Europe, etc. are a sad group when you realize their ill-gotten gains are from the backs of citizens in health and financial crisis or misery. I have no problem with your WalMart profits or those profits made from anything other than basic health which we should all be able to enjoy. We will be judged on that some day.

Do you realize that companies making the instruments you cite can produce the same without you? But their CEO’s and boards wouldn’t be making $5 million and more a year.

Last edited by Aces4; 09-15-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
It is a fact that Obama had a filibuster proof majority for approximately 72 days during his first term. The Democrats didn't have it when he first took office - Al Franken wasn't sworn in until July due to a recount battle, and Ted Kennedy was too ill to participate. 72 days is a pretty short time period given the typical time constraints in American politics and the obstructionism Democrats were facing from the opposite party. Frankly, I'm amazed they could get the Affordable Care Act passed at all, albeit with many compromises. I personally like working with what we have, make it better, and give people a public option if they choose. It would cost far less, and the money that we have wasted giving corporations little needed tax cuts (Amazon pays zero tax!) could pay for it if we got rid of the corporate giveaways.
The ACA requires all employers with more than 50 employees to provide affordable health insurance for their employees. How would a public option fit into that requirement? I suspect that, if you take away the employer requirement, then employers would cancel the insurance and require their employees to sign up for the public option, thereby taking away the "option".
Old 09-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The ACA requires all employers with more than 50 employees to provide affordable health insurance for their employees. How would a public option fit into that requirement? I suspect that, if you take away the employer requirement, then employers would cancel the insurance and require their employees to sign up for the public option, thereby taking away the "option".
They only have to offer it. And that is only for full-time permanent employees. Part timers and seasonal employees aren't entitled to any health insurance.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

I like the ACA. it has filled some gaps and protects those with pre existing conditions. Not perfect but way better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
One thing that has bothered me for years is the fact that the AMA Has limited the amount of doctors that graduate every year. Everybody screamed competition competition will lower the cost of everything from airplane flights to buying widgets. I think it is a big Foss that only a certain few select people from either A certain ethnicity Or an affluent family get accepted to med school every year this is baloney. I'm quite sure in this country there are many qualified students who could become doctors and do a fabulous job. We have enough English majors and people who graduate and going to social services in this country. We could mass-produce doctors the same way we mass-produce lawyers. Some of these nurse practitioners are as qualified as many of the doctors practicing today. So let's start with controlling the health cost at its source. That's enough I'll only go on and on most people will not agree with me that's your prerogative.
The AMA limits the number of doctors who graduate? Who knew? But not true.
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, premiums, pays, care, coverages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.