Memorials

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Post Memorials

I really gave some thoughts before sending this note as I did not want to open up any slings and arrows but decided the basis was important. No disrespect to John McCain but I feel that to have all of the services and TV coverage and not to mention all of the millions who have died in battle for our freedom and life is so sad. I have visited a number of military cemetaries , (Normandy a few times, the small Military Cemetery in Luxenborg where Patton is buried, Arlington Cemetery where I watched when I was young 10 Airmen being buried at the same time from WWII, a small cemetery in Wilmingon, NC or the one in Florida, etc etc) I also walked the fields of Bastone where so many died fighting for us. These were young soldiers who gave the ultimate they had to give. We owe them never to forget their contribution. We owe them being included in every ceremony held to recognize dedication to our Freedom. You can't visit these sites and not have a pit in your stomach. We have the largest American Legion in the world and among these members are soldiers who have scars for life, both physical and emotional. They must be included in every ceremony that is ever held for anyone
that fought for our freedom.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Platinum member

I couldn’t agree more with you that we need to remember “all of the millions who have died in battle for our freedom and life…”

But my take-away on the McCain coverage is a little bit different. I feel the reason John McCain is getting such broad coverage is not because he was a Senator, but because he was a man who, despite being a Senator, represents all the veterans, both alive and deceased who have given so much for our country.

John McCain would visit the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington sometimes several times a month, to honor those veterans, and by extension, all our veterans.

This is why the praise for John McCain, the hero, spans both sides of the aisle, and even includes those who may not have agreed with his policies.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Didyou Know

That the square in the village of Bastogne has an American tank as its memorial and written across it is the word "THANKS". Did you know that all the roads around Normandy are named after enlisted men. No officers. Did you know that buried in Normandy are 7 Frenchman and over 20,000 Americans. That Patton is buried in a small Military cemetery in Luxembourg and he is at the head of the cemetery and the soldiers are buried in a half moon around Patton. It would be interesting to find out other notables regarding the war, etc.

Last edited by PennBF; 09-01-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I couldn’t agree more with you that we need to remember “all of the millions who have died in battle for our freedom and life…”

But my take-away on the McCain coverage is a little bit different. I feel the reason John McCain is getting such broad coverage is not because he was a Senator, but because he was a man who, despite being a Senator, represents all the veterans, both alive and deceased who have given so much for our country.

John McCain would visit the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington sometimes several times a month, to honor those veterans, and by extension, all our veterans.

This is why the praise for John McCain, the hero, spans both sides of the aisle, and even includes those who may not have agreed with his policies.
!00% agree with you.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation I Understand

I understand your point. Given that I feel not mentioning those that died is a not recognizing the "fallen" as we should. I am not taking away from John McCain but rather ask for more recognition for those that were killed at very young ages or suffered in Nazi or Japanese prison of war
camps. It is just more "inclusion".
Old 09-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Not enough words........

To thank every person that served. Most grateful too, to the ones who walk among us here in The Villages.

Please say if you, a person who reads this, is one of our veterans.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Isn’t that who we honor on Memorial Day?
Old 09-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Isn’t that who we honor on Memorial Day?
You are right of course. Just can't be grateful enough. Thank you Chatbrat and PennBF.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

Thank You BK. I feel exactly the same way.

To ALL of our Veteran's our little family is grateful for your service.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
To thank every person that served. Most grateful too, to the ones who walk among us here in The Villages.

Please say if you, a person who reads this, is one of our veterans.
I certainly am, and damn proud of it, also.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
cemetery, held, life, freedom, died

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.