Military Talk

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned
Default Re: Military Talk

ARMY:
1965/66, 1974/78 - Fort Devens, MA (USASATC&S)
1967/69 - Vietnam (313thRRBn w/ HQ IFFV; 374thRRC w/ 4th ID): Nha Trang, Dong Ba Thin, Chu Lai, Duc Pho, Bong Son, Kontum, Pleiku, Ban Me Thuit, Dak To, Ben Het, An Khe, Hoi An, and a lot of hilltops overlooking strange sights.
1969, 1970/72 - Fort Hood, TX (311th ASABn w/ III Corps)
1972-1974 - Okinawa (USASA Scty Det) with TDYs to Camp Zama, Japan; Thailand; Taiwan and a couple other curious spots.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:35 PM

FT DIX NJ FT BENJAMIN HARRISON INDIANA FT HOOD TEXAS FT LEE VIRGINIA
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
JohnnyM

You know just reading some of these military bio's gives me the chills and makes me so proud to be an American. Anyone, and their were many, who served in combat are just extra special for this post. Although I was in during Viet Nam and overseas I was only giving support, never was in actual combat. I think we lost the last fighting man of WWI a little while back (not completely sure) but WWII, Korea and 'Nam soldiers should always and will always be quietly proud of their contribution to our great country allowing their families and friends the right to feel secure at home. I think TV might be a little too old for Desert Storm and the Iraq war but God bless those troops as well. Thank you all for your great service to our country and Red you do have a great deal to be proud of. I hope we can keep this post alive and hear from so many others who are just too modest to report in. Glad to see so many flyboys!!! (I am not partial?)
Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 PM

I Was in Vietnam in 66-67 i wasn't in combat I was in supply At times i was reluctant
to mention i was in NAM Because most people i've mentioned it to think you were in combat Then one day i was talking to a guy who was in the 1st Cavalry in NAM
I told him i was there but not in combat and he said to me thanks for the bullits made me feel alot better about it
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 PM

U.S. Army 66-72
Fort Bragg
VN Advisory Team 46, Nha Trang area
3/64 Armor 3d Inf Schweinfurt Germany
Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

The Villages FloridaUnited States Marine CorpsThe Villages Florida
My DAD..1st Marine Division...World War II

The 1st Marine Division was activated aboard the battleship Texas on 1 February 1941. It is the oldest, largest, and most decorated division in the United States Marine Corps, with nine Presidential Unit Citations (PUCs).

The Guadalcanal campaign in 1942 was the first major American Pacific campaign in World War II and the first time the 1st Marine Division conducted combat operations as a division. The Division's actions during this operation won it the first of three World War II PUCs. 1st Marine Division also won PUCs for the battles of Peleliu and Okinawa. Three weeks after Japan surrendered, the Division was dispatched to North China for occupation duty. While in China, the Division had numerous encounters with the Chinese Communists.

Guadalcanal
Peleliu
Okinawa
Iwo Jima
Solomon Islands

And when he gets to Heaven
To St. Peter he will tell:
"One more Marine reporting, Sir --
I've served my time in Hell."

Semper Fi....
The Villages Florida

USMC..Grandfather, Uncles, Cousins, Brother....

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM
You know just reading some of these military bio's gives me the chills and makes me so proud to be an American. Anyone, and their were many, who served in combat are just extra special for this post. Thank you all for your great service to our country and Red you do have a great deal to be proud of.

with JohnnyM

these posts have brought me to tears!

Thank you all, you brave Americans!

Sincerely, Kathie :redface:

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Retired Builder Chief Petty, U.S. Navy (Seabees) 1970 through 1990,
Stationed :
BMU1, Coranado, Calf.
Naval Moble Construction Battaloion 4 , Port Huenme, Calf.
Boardman Bombing Range, Boardman, ORE.
Naval Station Adak, Alaska
Naval Moble Construction Battilion, Port Huemene, Calf
Naval Construction Unit, Virginia Beach, Va.
Naval Support Unit, Dept. of State, Washington D.C.
31st Naval Construction Regiment, Port Huemene, Calf.

The real person deserving ata boys is my wife, I got to spend most of the time overseas, she had to mostly stay here and worry, she my HERO
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Just a quick note -- as I said, my brother did 3 tours in 'Nam, one before we were officially there. We talked a lot when he came home between tours. He wasn't sure we should be there but he knew he was needed. After the second tour in which he saw a lot of combat, he made a comment that will stick with me forever. He told me that not everyone in a war has to carry a gun and shoot people but everyone who serves helps save those who are on the front lines and he thanks those guys on a daily basis -- they saved his life more than once.

So, just wanted to let you guys who were the clerks, the supply sergeants, the mechanics, all the ones behind the scenes (and not making a profit on the supplies, etc.), you truly were appreciated and those doing the hard fighting knew how necessary you were. Thank you for helping my brother come home three times!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Vietnam 1970-1971 Chu Lai, Duc Pho, LZ Liz, LZ San Juan, DMZ, The Rockpile (was also called Vandergrift near Khe Sanh)
1971-1972 Ft. Sill - Field artillery school instructor
1990-2004 NH National Guard (155 Towed Howitizers)
2004-2005 Iraq - Base security, Convoy Security (MSR Tampa) from Baghdad to Umm Qsar - Oldest serving member of unit at age 57
Katrina (spent 2 weeks in New Orleans driving thru waist deep water and looking for looters)
2005-2007 NH National Guard (Finally Retired)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Redwitch

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Just a quick note -- as I said, my brother did 3 tours in 'Nam, one before we were officially there. We talked a lot when he came home between tours. He wasn't sure we should be there but he knew he was needed. After the second tour in which he saw a lot of combat, he made a comment that will stick with me forever. He told me that not everyone in a war has to carry a gun and shoot people but everyone who serves helps save those who are on the front lines and he thanks those guys on a daily basis -- they saved his life more than once.

So, just wanted to let you guys who were the clerks, the supply sergeants, the mechanics, all the ones behind the scenes (and not making a profit on the supplies, etc.), you truly were appreciated and those doing the hard fighting knew how necessary you were. Thank you for helping my brother come home three times!

In the US Army there are about 10 people in direct support within the Division for each guy shooting the guns. And that doesn't count the various support units directly under Corps, Area Command, and numbered Army who are mainly support troops.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Platinum member

Hardly an exotic history, but I was drafted and reported for basic training at Fort Leonard Wood (ghastly place ;D ) just under 49 years ago! Two years as a clerk at Fort Bliss, Texas, with the then-starting-up 6th Artillery Group.

At the insistence and urging of my crusty Master Sergeant boss there (he retired with something like 36 years of service!), I took a direct commission, then returned to St. Louis, where I spent the next 26 years or so in the Army Reserve.

Having retired as a Lieutenant Colonel, and with an eventual 11 years of active duty, I am proud of my personal service, even though it doesn't hold a candle to the guys and gals who actually served in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam or anywhere else.

Red, I am impressed at your father's rank at such an early age. Must have been a hard-charging GI!

SWR
Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Send a message via AIM to stjade

U.S. Army---1967-1969--Ft. Sam Houston, SanAntonio, Ft Bliss El Paso , Beaumont General Hospital, White Sands Missile Range. I'm proud of all of you who have served ,and proud to be an American. God bless all of you--Steve :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

A BIG thank you to all our men and women that served then and now..The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.