Stoney brooke AFS
Westover AFB (SAC)MA
Raindeer AFS ME
Goose bay afb LAB
TDY'S TO Eglin abb FL
Wright pat afb OH
Patrick afb FL
Selfridge abf MI
Involved in Security , many more short stints to air force stations ...Loved it , Had a great Job........Went to college on GI bill.......Married my high school sweetheart and lived happy ever after.........
Would I do it again ??? You betcha , great life.....
ATTENTION FUMAR
Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM
JohnnyM
Default Re: Military Talk

Fumar quite a history. I remember those TDY's. I was in the Security Service. Blue rope as it were. krypto clearance while overseas. I knew for some reason you were a Flyboy!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 AM

USAF 55-67

Sampson AFB, Lowry AFB, Shaw AFB, Yokota AFB, Japan, RB&WB66, Electronic & Wx (Typhoon) Recon. Shaw AFB was the pits!
Lackland AFB, Bainbridge AFB, Griffiss AFB, Castle AFB. Griffiss & Castle in B-52's as a Defensive Fire Control Systems Operator. That's the fancy name for a tail-gunner in the B-52. 2,000 hours in B-52 and many, many days on alert & airborne alert at Griffis. Castle AFB as an instructor. In '67 it was Thailand to bomb North Vietnam or get out. My choice was get out and finish college. Had too many friends in the Hanoi Hilton or one of those gigantic craters.

Had a brother in the 28th Inf Div in WWII. Medic in the Battle of the Bulge. His advice...don't join the army! The series Band of Brothers shows what they endured. No wonder he would never talk about it.

Every president should be a veteran and then maybe he, or she, could be a little more selective as to when we send our military out to fight. Iraq is such a waste.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Sage

Castle has a great museum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Air_Museum
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
pajames:

Thanks for the link the the Medal of Honor website - bookmarked it

I went to Germany on the MSTS Patch from Brooklyn to Bremen in 7 days during December 1964. Had us bunked in hammocks 5 high in the cargo hold, guy on the bottom was inches from the floor and the guy on the top was up with the ductwork. Great trip across the North Atlantic in the winter - rockin and rollin the whole way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Patch
chuckinca;
Your info about the rockin and rollin across the Atlantic reminded me of my trip to Korea in Jan. 1964. The USS Mann was sitting at the dock in Oakland, CA loading everyone, it was drizzling rain. They served lunch to everyone on board around noon. The ship departed about 3:00 pm, it was still raining. We crossed under the Golden Gate and proceded to the Pacific. It started getting a little rough before we ever hit the Pacific. Well, little did anyone know that we were heading into a Gale. I was raised around the water (Chesapeake Bay, MD) but I have never seen waves as big as what we went through. We were on a troop carrier, as you know, they are big ships, but when we hit the Pacific it really got rough. I knew what was happening below deck so I stayed in shelter on topside as long as they would let me. These huge waves were breaking over the front of the ship. I would see a few guys come up, get sick and then go back below deck. Well, they finally chased me down, said it was too rough for anyone to be above deck. I know I don't have to go into graphic descriptions here but virtually everyone below was sick, including Navy personnel. I was still OK but tried to make my way to the head and remember see this short stocky black guy coming through the hatch in front of me with the most solemn expression on his face. We start to pass each other and he loses it. He never got anything on me but I turned around, went back to my bunk area and got sick as a dog.
We too, had the hammocks stacked 5 high, I was lucky enough to have one next to the top.
The top one was empty. I was sick for 3 days, ate a lot of crackers. It took us 19 days to get to Inchon, Korea. I know this trip will always stick in my mind. What an adventure.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 AM

Indiana Army National Guard 1971-1991.
76th Inf Bde
2nd Bn, 150th FA
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 AM
JohnnyM

pajames reading your story made me feel like I was on the ship with you. Pretty graphic but part of what made you a soldier. It's a shame that many people, men and women alike, will never see or feel what the military is about. I'm not trying to be condescending but I do believe a lot of attitudes towards war and our freedom would change. From WWI through today, the lives of so many valiant young men and women were lost so we could live in a place called The Villages. A paradise they will never see, but hopefully they are in a paradise of their own. Lord knows they deserve it. God Bless Our Troops.

Thanks for your service TomW!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajames
chuckinca;
Your info about the rockin and rollin across the Atlantic reminded me of my trip to Korea in Jan. 1964. The USS Mann was sitting at the dock in Oakland, CA loading everyone, it was drizzling rain. They served lunch to everyone on board around noon. The ship departed about 3:00 pm, it was still raining. We crossed under the Golden Gate and proceded to the Pacific. It started getting a little rough before we ever hit the Pacific. Well, little did anyone know that we were heading into a Gale. I was raised around the water (Chesapeake Bay, MD) but I have never seen waves as big as what we went through. We were on a troop carrier, as you know, they are big ships, but when we hit the Pacific it really got rough. I knew what was happening below deck so I stayed in shelter on topside as long as they would let me. These huge waves were breaking over the front of the ship. I would see a few guys come up, get sick and then go back below deck. Well, they finally chased me down, said it was too rough for anyone to be above deck. I know I don't have to go into graphic descriptions here but virtually everyone below was sick, including Navy personnel. I was still OK but tried to make my way to the head and remember see this short stocky black guy coming through the hatch in front of me with the most solemn expression on his face. We start to pass each other and he loses it. He never got anything on me but I turned around, went back to my bunk area and got sick as a dog.
We too, had the hammocks stacked 5 high, I was lucky enough to have one next to the top.
The top one was empty. I was sick for 3 days, ate a lot of crackers. It took us 19 days to get to Inchon, Korea. I know this trip will always stick in my mind. What an adventure.

and we dodged Ice Bergs too (a winter Pacific crossing was a joyride compared to the North Atlantic in December)!

LOL
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

This question is for DickY:

Mr. Boomer wants to know when you were at Udorn.

He was there in '72:
42nd Company
Joint Liaison Detachment
1st Special Forces
Based at Nam Pong

DickY, I was trying to put your quote in here from January 25 and I couldn't pick it up for some reason. Anyway, I was just showing Mr. Boomer this thread and Udorn grabbed him.

Boomer
Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Veteran member

Was going to post this as a separate topic, and some may consider it highjacking, but I thought this would be a good place to ask...

Does TV have a VFW post? If so, where is it?

Thank--and hubby thanks you too

Peggy

Village of Hemmingway
Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Peggy,

There's not one in TV itself, but two are close by -- one in Wildwood, the other in Leesburg.

Post 4910 Wildwood Post PO Box 151
Oxford, FL 34484

Post 6389 Hawthorne Memorial Post 100 Palo Verde Drive
Leesburg, FL 34748
(352) 323-1693

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Hi Tomw or should i say fellow Redleg.....

What was your MOS? 13E 13D here
Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Chuckinca
Its a small world i went to Vietnam on the Patch In 1966 It took us 18 days to get there
nice part about it It was time served :hot: :hot: :beer2: :hot:
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Default Chuckinca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLINY
Chuckinca
Its a small world i went to Vietnam on the Patch In 1966 It took us 18 days to get there
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLINY
Chuckinca

I think the 196th Light Infantry Brigade was shipped to RVN from the East Coast in the summer of 1966 - a 30 days or so trip!

I flew from Travis on a DC-6B. 39 hrs in the air all on three of four engines with stops in Honolulu, Wake Island (still had downed Jap Zero's and bunkers on the beach behind the air strip operations bldg) Clark in Manilia and on to Tan Son Nhat in Saigon.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.