Mini Ice Age coming?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Default Mini Ice Age coming?

According to Solar Weather Scientists we are headed for likely a mini ice age in the next 15 years. It seems they are predicting solar weather at a rate of 97% these days based on solar cycles and sunspot totals. And it's using these computer models that are predicting a "Maunder Minimum" starting between 2020 & 2030. The last time we had a Maunder Minimum was the "Little Ice Age" at the end of the 1600's to early 1700's. I guess I'm moving to TV just in time. This certainly explains the fluctuating weather extremes we have seen lately.

The term "Mini" or "Little Ice Age" is a bit deceiving in that it is not expected that the extreme hemispheres will be covered in mile thick ice but rather extended & extreme winters, not unlike the last 2 winters in a row. 1 for the Upper Midwest and just this past year for the Northeast.

I'm not trying to stir up any vitriol, but for those who feel that man's actions have altered the weather, please try to be open to the concept that the most powerful thing in our solar system may be a large contributing factor to our weather fluctuations and man's contributions are likely a secondary factor.

Is a mini ICE AGE on the way? Scientists warn the sun will 'go to sleep' in 2020 | Daily Mail Online[/URL]

Last edited by kbace6; 07-13-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbace6 View Post
According to Solar Weather Scientists we are headed for likely a mini ice age in the next 15 years. It seems they are predicting solar weather at a rate of 97% these days based on solar cycles and sunspot totals. And it's using these computer models that are predicting a "Maunder Minimum" starting between 2020 & 2030. The last time we had a Maunder Minimum was the "Little Ice Age" at the end of the 1600's to early 1700's. I guess I'm moving to TV just in time. This certainly explains the fluctuating weather extremes we have seen lately.

The term "Mini" or "Little Ice Age" is a bit deceiving in that it is not expected that the extreme hemispheres will be covered in mile thick ice but rather extended & extreme winters, not unlike the last 2 winters in a row. 1 for the Upper Midwest and just this past year for the Northeast.

I'm not trying to stir up any vitriol, but for those who feel that man's actions have altered the weather, please try to be open to the concept that the most powerful thing in our solar system may be a large contributing factor to our weather fluctuations and man's contributions are likely a secondary factor.

Is a mini ICE AGE on the way? Scientists warn the sun will 'go to sleep' in 2020 | Daily Mail Online[/URL]
Isn't the Daily Mail a British tabloid?

uploadfromtaptalk1436807807178-jpg
Old 07-13-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Isn't the Daily Mail a British tabloid?

Attachment 53161
It probably is. But according to Tommy Lee Jones in the movie "Men in Black" it's some of the best investigative journalism on the planet.

I looked at it as the reporting of Solar Weather Scientists (a relatively new area of science) and actual observations of the sun's weather. Did you read the article? Or did you just dismiss it due to some disagreement of beliefs? I do my best to stay open to many different points of view. Only actual facts can prove or disprove ones beliefs. And actual experiments should be able to be duplicated by others without manipulation and still get the same results.

I have heard this theory before, but this is the first time I have seen the Maunder Minimum mentioned.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Next week (month) there will be another study refuting the first study, which will be followed by numerous other studies, each refuting or confirming a prior study. I will wait for the history book.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbace6 View Post
It probably is. But according to Tommy Lee Jones in the movie "Men in Black" it's some of the best investigative journalism on the planet.

I looked at it as the reporting of Solar Weather Scientists (a relatively new area of science) and actual observations of the sun's weather. Did you read the article? Or did you just dismiss it due to some disagreement of beliefs? I do my best to stay open to many different points of view. Only actual facts can prove or disprove ones beliefs. And actual experiments should be able to be duplicated by others without manipulation and still get the same results.

I have heard this theory before, but this is the first time I have seen the Maunder Minimum mentioned.
You must have a field day at a supermarket checkout counter. [emoji6]
Old 07-13-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Good one.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage

I remember reading about this when I was an undergraduate in the early 70's. The Maunder Minimum coincided with part of the little ice age (1500-mid 1800s). Whether the low in the sunspot activity was the cause is not known with any certainty, if I recall correctly. Current theories of man's impact on climate trends also have uncertainties as those theories are based on modeling results. Climate is complicated.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I remember reading about this when I was an undergraduate in the early 70's. The Maunder Minimum coincided with part of the little ice age (1500-mid 1800s). Whether the low in the sunspot activity was the cause is not known with any certainty, if I recall correctly. Current theories of man's impact on climate trends also have uncertainties as those theories are based on modeling results. Climate is complicated.
I can hardly remember anything as an undergraduate in the early 70's (the late 60's probably didn't help any). But you've piqued my interest and will have to check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I just wish the weather guys could get today's forecast right
Old 07-13-2015, 02:20 PM

sorry not drinking the kool aid
Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Sage

One of my meteorology professors had some material he had us read. He had an interest in sun-climate connections. The low in the sunspot activity may have played a roll. The real question for these sorts of thing is always "how much".

Quote:
I can hardly remember anything as an undergraduate in the early 70's (the late 60's probably didn't help any). But you've piqued my interest and will have to check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Sage

There are two issues. What are you trying to forecast and how do you define the truth. Defining what is "right" is a difficult task all by itself. It's not binary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I just wish the weather guys could get today's forecast right
Old 07-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

No differentthan the cheif meteorologists attempting to predict how many hurricanes there will be each year.

Knowing what the sun did is a major task unto itself. Imagine the data/info kept over the last thousand years!

I would categorize predicting what the sun will do to be about as productive as predicting who will win the lottery.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Global Climate Change is settled theology.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Sage

I have no idea what that means and I am pretty sure you don't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Global Climate Change is settled theology.
Closed Thread

Tags
ice, weather, age, solar, mini, winters, maunder, factor, mans, extreme, time, minimum, predicting, stir, vitriol, case, northeast, year, row, unlike, paste, upper, past, copy, midwest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.