Modem/internet speeds(?)

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2023, 04:02 PM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

95% of all buffering problems is do to slow Internet speed. Here's how Internet speed works if you subscribe to 600MB the only way you're gonna get that speed is if you hook your device directly to the router with a cable. if you stream it wirelessly then you only get 300MB and if you have other T v's cameras doorbell's tablet's phones hooked up to it it's gonna continue to reduce that speed. To check your Internet speed on your fire stick scroll over to the gear all the way on the right side of the home screen click on it scroll down to the network you'll see the network that you're connected to, Push the play button on your remote control then scroll to the right where it says run speed test click on the run speed test and wait for it to test speed. I subscribe to 1.2 Gbs speed but only have 395Mbs on my firestick due to all the other things I have connected to my internet. However. That is more than enough for my firestick.
Other options: unplug router and firestick for 2 minutes and then plug back in. If that doesn't help You may want to go back to cable.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have Xfinity internet, category "fast" at 400 mbs.

My modem...an Aris Surfboard 586141....and have never hit 100 mbs yet.....ussually runs around 40 mbs. Has not been a problem until recently when I am running streaming options and experience the spinning wheel of death/pausing/loading and some no connection at all. Hence the need to pursue higher modem speeds.

I called Xfinity today. He did a modem restart and ran an analysis to see if there were any connection issues outside/inside/et al.

He had me move my modem away from the window to a more inside location. That brought the speed from around 40 mbs to around 80 mbs.......still a long way from 400!!

There were no connection issues. He "suggested" using an Xfinity" modem ($15 per month). I advised him I was already paying Xfinity too much and was looking to fix that.

My plan at the moment is to pursue Xfinity for internet (assuming I can been adequate speeds). I will go with Apple TV, using Direct TV stream for programming and recording....and of course the myriad of other apps for other "stuff".

Any suggestions regarding my current inability to get the high enough speed from Xfinity.

It has been a long study for me but cord cutting is just around the corner!!

Only way you will get anywhere close is run a cable from modem to television, using WiFi cuts speed in half. Also anything else like thermostats, cell phones, echo devices, or any wifi device uses band with and slows down download speed. Purchase a better modem and hard wire it.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:17 PM

I’ve never heard of a category called fast. Xfinity has a “Blast” or Business category. Also do not recognize your arris surfboard number, please check the front of the modem and it will tell you the model number. Your router must also not be a limited factor. If it is at least a 3.0 or 3.1 version then the router will not be a bottleneck.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

A lot of misinformation. 350Mb is not the maximum you will get over wifi, far from it. I get over 800Mb on my iPhones and iPads.
Like I stated early on, it’s not magic that you will get fast speeds in every room by getting a certain providers service. You get 1 modem router from the vendor and if you sit right next to it you will get decent speeds, but when you start streaming wireless to your bedrooms or other rooms and to the outside, your performance will be either much slower or even nonexistent.
Wired is the best way with using multiple switches to get max speeds. I use 3 mesh network routers, 3 switches, and get 1G speeds in each room wired, 800Mb wireless.
You also need to make sure your routers are up to date. Remember the 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax and wifi6 and wifi6e? Cat 5e is rated at 1G speeds which is plenty fast for an internal network.
Also, the devices you use on the network have limitations on the speeds you get. A 10 year old device will get you 10Mb speeds whereas my latest iPhone 14 pro will get you over 800Mb. Again, look at your computer/iPhone/iPad network specs and it will show what spec it supports: 802.11XX.
Let me also say that hiring the geek squad or xfinity/spectrum/galaxy to install your network is like going to a barber shop to get your taxes prepared!

About the post: “95% of all buffering problems is do to slow Internet speed. Here's how Internet speed works if you subscribe to 600MB the only way you're gonna get that speed is if you hook your device directly to the router with a cable. if you stream it wirelessly then you only get 300MB” is not true at all. You have multiple networks in your house: internet connection to the WWW, wireless, and internal. You buy bandwidth from the ISP and that speed is ONLY involved with traffic going to the WWW, period, this speed cap has nothing to do with your wireless speeds or your internal network speeds. And your wireless speeds have nothing to do with the WWW speed or your internal network speeds. You design each part of the network differently. 1/2 or more of my network traffic stays within my internal/wireless network because I stream from my servers or my home automation devices talk to my internal servers/hubs. So I designed my internal network around many switches that are designed for 1G or faster networks. Same goes for wireless, I get 800+Mb on each of my devices (iPhones/iPads) that talk to my servers on my internal network, nothing to do with my outside internet speeds. Copper networks will have more latency than fiber networks provide. Also you will never see the same upload speeds on a copper network as you will get on a fiber network. Some of your devices on your network only support the 2.4ghz channels and that determines on network speeds and quality of signal

Last edited by rsmurano; 02-05-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
From specs: Recommended for Internet Plans up to 100 Mbps.

So internet speed at the pc or laptop is dependent upon all equipment between the wire coming into the house to the computer/laptop.

From your descriptions, all your equipment is not new enough to support the incoming bandwidth. I would recommend getting all new equipment which supports 1 GB speeds, including the modem in the laptop or tower. . etc.

good luck
network guy
Yup. My modem supports speeds up to 100mbps. I get around 90. Xfinity upgraded my service to 200, and I still get around 90. Fortunately that's all I need to get everything I do to work fine:

My desktop, hubby's laptop, my phone (which I have a data plan for so I use the wifi when I'm home), my tablet (which is on 24/7), my printer, and two TV sets in two different rooms.

Eventually I'll get a new, upgraded modem and router. That'll probably be the same time I get a new computer, since I can't upgrade to Win11 and win10 will cease to be supported in just two years.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:21 PM

You modem is the weak link. You don't necessarily need to rent one from Xfinity; you could buy one from Amazon or Walmart. Just check to make sure it is on the Approved Third-Party Equipment for Xfinity Internet list.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

Everything rsmurano said is spot on. Looking up the modem being used here, it is an older modem with only 8x4 channels and is limited in the speed it can provide.

The weak link currently here is the modem - replacing that should provide the paid for speed... assuming the devices connecting have the latest wifi cards in them.

I use a mesh system (Netgear Orbi wifi 6), and subscribe to 1GB service. I get 1GB hardwired, and anywhere from 700MB to 950MB wireless depending on where I am in my home or yard. I live in a concrete poured wall home, so this knocks down the signal signficantly outside.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

So who wants to write the "Official" networking guide with available options for new joiners/buyers to the villages?

Seems like there are a few people who could write one, as these posts with people not reading all the way though 10 + and still responding to the initial question is very inefficient. Also there are various levels of networking understanding with the differences between a switch and a router and a modem and wireless access point capabilities.

must be written to be understood by a 5th grader. . since they are the grandchildren which you ask for help when they stop in and the first question you ask is "How do you operate this streaming device?" and they will answer like a 5th grader

Old 02-06-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
So who wants to write the "Official" networking guide with available options for new joiners/buyers to the villages?

Seems like there are a few people who could write one, as these posts with people not reading all the way though 10 + and still responding to the initial question is very inefficient. Also there are various levels of networking understanding with the differences between a switch and a router and a modem and wireless access point capabilities.

must be written to be understood by a 5th grader. . since they are the grandchildren which you ask for help when they stop in and the first question you ask is "How do you operate this streaming device?" and they will answer like a 5th grader

Ok, I will keep it simple. If you are new to the area and fiber is available in your area, get fiber (does not matter which provider). Fiber is always the best choice.

If fiber is not available then things get more complicated. Both dsl and cable can be very reliable (but location dependent … best to see what service your neighbors use). Any generic recommendation/solution for one location may not apply at another.
Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, mbs, modem, speeds, connection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.