Modem/internet speeds(?)

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2023, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Modem/internet speeds(?)

I have Xfinity internet, category "fast" at 400 mbs.

My modem...an Aris Surfboard 586141....and have never hit 100 mbs yet.....ussually runs around 40 mbs. Has not been a problem until recently when I am running streaming options and experience the spinning wheel of death/pausing/loading and some no connection at all. Hence the need to pursue higher modem speeds.

I called Xfinity today. He did a modem restart and ran an analysis to see if there were any connection issues outside/inside/et al.

He had me move my modem away from the window to a more inside location. That brought the speed from around 40 mbs to around 80 mbs.......still a long way from 400!!

There were no connection issues. He "suggested" using an Xfinity" modem ($15 per month). I advised him I was already paying Xfinity too much and was looking to fix that.

My plan at the moment is to pursue Xfinity for internet (assuming I can been adequate speeds). I will go with Apple TV, using Direct TV stream for programming and recording....and of course the myriad of other apps for other "stuff".

Any suggestions regarding my current inability to get the high enough speed from Xfinity.

It has been a long study for me but cord cutting is just around the corner!!

Old 02-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,695 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

My modem...an Aris Surfboard 586141....and have never hit 100 mbs yet.....ussually runs around 40 mbs. Has not been a problem until recently when I am running streaming options and experience the spinning wheel of death/pausing/loading and some no connection at all. Hence the need to pursue higher modem speeds.

I called Xfinity today. He did a modem restart and ran an analysis to see if there were any connection issues outside/inside/et al.

He had me move my modem away from the window to a more inside location. That brought the speed from around 40 mbs to around 80 mbs.......still a long way from 400!!

There were no connection issues. He "suggested" using an Xfinity" modem ($15 per month). I advised him I was already paying Xfinity too much and was looking to fix that.

My plan at the moment is to pursue Xfinity for internet (assuming I can been adequate speeds). I will go with Apple TV, using Direct TV stream for programming and recording....and of course the myriad of other apps for other "stuff".

Any suggestions regarding my current inability to get the high enough speed from Xfinity.

I don't think the modem is your problem. I have the Xfinity Internet at 800 mbps and I usually get that speed, even on wifi devices. Blaming your modem is a convenient way for Xfinity to shift the blame to you. That is why I rent an Xfinity modem. You may want to rent a modem for a month or so, and you can always return it. Note that, if you increase your speed to above 600 mbps, you may need to upgrade the modem.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:54 PM

First thing you need to understand is what you are measuring. 400mbps is that upload or download or is it symmetrical? You dont' normally see symmetrical with copper service. I have Comcast and on average I see about 250mbps down and 20-40 up. That is pretty typical. Where you are measuring to is also important because you are competing for traffic. Even locally you don't have a dedicated connection, you share that connection with everyone in your neighborhood, that can also affect you're speeds. What is your real objective? Are you just trying to get a number or are you trying to stream something and it's always buffering? That may have more to do with what numbers you need and what you are getting. You might have a Lamborghini but you are still driving in the neighborhood, not the AutoBond....
Old 02-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
First thing you need to understand is what you are measuring. 400mbps is that upload or download or is it symmetrical? You dont' normally see symmetrical with copper service. I have Comcast and on average I see about 250mbps down and 20-40 up. That is pretty typical. Where you are measuring to is also important because you are competing for traffic. Even locally you don't have a dedicated connection, you share that connection with everyone in your neighborhood, that can also affect you're speeds. What is your real objective? Are you just trying to get a number or are you trying to stream something and it's always buffering? That may have more to do with what numbers you need and what you are getting. You might have a Lamborghini but you are still driving in the neighborhood, not the AutoBond....
If you are paying for a 400 mbps download speed and only getting 40, you have a problem.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

I'm getting about 90mbps over wifi from my Xfinity modem (Arris TG1682G) and 75mbps plan. I use speedtest.net to look at my speeds.

I have streamed without buffering on as little as 10mbps in my old house.

Is there any chance you have a network extender in the house? The device I have does not have nearly the throughput that the modem does. If I happen to get attached to the extender instead of the modem then my speeds are much lower.

I can't think of a reason why moving the modem away from the window should make any difference unless you are testing the speed from the other end of the house and this just moved it closer. If that is the case then maybe try testing the speed with a device that is close to your modem. If the problem is the distance then that's fairly easy to correct.

*** Is your modem a 586141 or an SB6141? The SB6141 appears to be wired only; does the modem have wifi capability or just wired? Is there a separate wifi router involved?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 02-03-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Any suggestions regarding my current inability to get the high enough speed from Xfinity.:
Are you measuring when wired into the cable modem, or when using a wireless connection?

The former will give a much faster reading.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Are you measuring when wired into the cable modem, or when using a wireless connection?

The former will give a much faster reading.
Not necessarily. I agree with trying a wired connection. But, I get the same speeds on wired and wireless speed tests.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not necessarily. I agree with trying a wired connection. But, I get the same speeds on wired and wireless speed tests.
So do I if I'm in "line of sight", but not if I'm round a corner or in another room

It is the most common cause of getting a connection speed lower than you are expecting
Old 02-03-2023, 03:51 PM
Default Cable from Cable Modem to Wireless Router?

I managed a large increase in download speed by replacing the old Ethernet cable with a new one to connect the cable modem to wireless router.....Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat 7 Male to Male High-Speed Gigabit Ethernet Patch Internet Cable, 10Gbps, 600MHz, 3 Foot, White.

The old Ethernet cable I was using was really old, I guess.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Just bought this for 55 at Amazon and I exceed the paid for speed. Try it and send back if not satisfied

ARRIS® SURFboard® SB6183 Cable Modem, White
Old 02-03-2023, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Specs don't quite support more than 100 MB

Quote:

So internet speed at the pc or laptop is dependent upon all equipment between the wire coming into the house to the computer/laptop.

From your descriptions, all your equipment is not new enough to support the incoming bandwidth. I would recommend getting all new equipment which supports 1 GB speeds, including the modem in the laptop or tower. . etc.

good luck
network guy
Old 02-03-2023, 05:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,963 Times in 753 Posts

I stream with a 5 year old Att modem picked up off Ebay connected to Quantum Fiber 200mgbs service no buffering thru Firestick with sideloaded apps and IPTV.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Once I started using the XFINITY white Modem all my problems have disappeared. I was using a Motorola Modem recommended by XFINITY. Not so good I guess.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=billethkid;2182938]I have Xfinity internet, category "fast" at 400 mbs.

I have Xfinity and just tested my speed. It was 360. That's with the TV on which is also taking part of my high speed. Remember all of your devices that use the internet are sharing that speed when in use.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:02 AM
Default Try quantum fiber. I am getting the numbers that I pay for.

Try quantum fiber. I get the numbers I pay for.

Quote:

Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, mbs, modem, speeds, connection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.