More Boorish Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2020, 07:54 AM

Please don't judge us by the action of one who is obviously an idiot. There are a few people in this world that speak before thinking. Stay Safe.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marykschulz View Post
This saddens me as well, especially in “Florida’s Friendliest Hometown”.
Walmart is not exclusive to TV, so that “fine” gentleman may not have been from TV.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:43 AM

What did he even mean by that?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgcetm View Post
Welcome to Walmart!
What? What is that suppose to mean? All Walmart shoppers are racists? WOW!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
While visiting last month, my daughter shopped at the Walmart Neighborhood Market. In consideration of others, she wore a mask. As she was leaving, a man came up to her and told her that she was wearing a mask now but would soon be wearing a Muslim headscarf. Since she is the lady I raised her to be, she ignored his idiotic comment. So sorry she had to encounter a person like that.
I see you're a Buckey fan so obviously you're not from NYC. He's lucky she wasn't from NY or else he would have gotten a nice response like "Maybe I will or won't be wearing a Muslin scarf but one thing is certain, you won't be around to see it you old .........." And that would have been a polite NYC response.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marykschulz View Post
This saddens me as well, especially in “Florida’s Friendliest Hometown”.
You are assuming he lives,,,,where?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Unhappy Thread

Is nothing to do with Walmart. Is just stupid people are all over the world. Even in The Villages.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Default confronting intolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
There is not rhyme or reason for some of the things that come out of peoples mouths. They are either angry, crazy, drunk, stoned, any or all of the above. When dealing with this kind of boorish behavior it is best to consider the source and just walk away.
I disagree that you should just walk away. When the real Nazis started talking that way about Jews, good people just walked away. What was despicable became acceptable, and it turned out badly. If you have the courage, you should confront that kind of speech. Racism and religious bigotry are not okay. There will always be raciest, bigots, and homophobs but we can't let them own the public space.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Exclamation Another Steve

I think you nailed it once and for all. I don’t know if I would have had the self control to confront this moron if I heard him address someone like that! Dad used to say “treat others as you would like to be treated yourself”.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
I disagree that you should just walk away. When the real Nazis started talking that way about Jews, good people just walked away. What was despicable became acceptable, and it turned out badly. If you have the courage, you should confront that kind of speech. Racism and religious bigotry are not okay. There will always be raciest, bigots, and homophobs but we can't let them own the public space.
Depends on your assessment of the person, when someone says, “I’m Napoleon Bonaparte” I don’t disagree with them.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:52 PM

That’s why they are called Walmartians!!
Old 07-05-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
While visiting last month, my daughter shopped at the Walmart Neighborhood Market. In consideration of others, she wore a mask. As she was leaving, a man came up to her and told her that she was wearing a mask now but would soon be wearing a Muslim headscarf. Since she is the lady I raised her to be, she ignored his idiotic comment. So sorry she had to encounter a person like that.
I would reply with “mask it or casket”. I know what my choice is.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:18 PM

It is not the friendliest hometown... not in the last 3-4 years anyway.. but the best thing is to say NOTHING AT ALL. Then these twits do not know what is going to happen next.....
Old 07-05-2020, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default What would you have really done?

[[/B][/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
First, I resent that you imply that I think racism or bigotry is okay. It is Never okay! You better reread my post and rethink your response. As to you referencing Jews, my best friend and best man at my wedding was a Jew. If you have seen my posts before, you should realize I speak against racism, bigotry and intolerance of any kind. I also think that violence should be avoided when possible. In the reported incident that was rude/boorish behavior in a local business, I stand by my position to consider the source (mental defective, drunk or just a jerk) and walk away. Report it to manager if you want or even call the police if it warranted, but avoid further confrontation as that would only escalate the situation and even become needlessly violent. That is what I would do in this incident.
So, what would you have done? Escalate the incident into a heated shouting match? Punched his lights out (you are now the aggressor in an assault and would be arrested)?
You also stated, "if you have the courage". If you were questioning my courage and not speaking in general terms, then I will tell you I proudly served 6 years in the Navy during the Vietnam era and have the medal to prove it, I have walked alone and unarmed thru streets of Philippines, Mauritius, Angola, Senegal, and other places that would scare the pants off most sane people. Question my beliefs, my political leaning or my choice of food if you want. As too my courage, think what you will. It really doesn't matter to me.
Stay safe. Stay well. Calm down. Peace!
Old 07-05-2020, 02:59 PM

I would call it ignorant. He doesn't know the difference between a mask for protection or an item worn because of a person's beliefs.
Closed Thread

Tags
wearing, mask, headscarf, muslim, lady

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.