More evidence that Florida’s home insurance system is completely broken?

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 02:43 PM
Angry More evidence that Florida’s home insurance system is completely broken?

Insurers altered adjusters' reports; slashed Hurricane Ian payouts far below damage estimates.

https://wapo.st/3ZHqfhg
Old 03-11-2023, 04:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
Insurers altered adjusters' reports; slashed Hurricane Ian payouts far below damage estimates.

Are we shocked at such dishonesty ? Mission control, we have a LOT Of serious problems. Some of you are probably very familiar with Herman Wouk's works. I think of the gathering storm; the period before WW2, before our U.S. involvement. So many factors in addition to the ones most often listed in history books. Age has advantages and disadvantages; as I look around today, a bank failure (1, or perhaps more to come ?), a history of government (that's US folks, not some vague entity with very deep pockets), when insurance companies, auto companies, medicine, becomes inextricably entwined with "government", when strange bed fellows become BFF's, and the leader of a country in a serious war goes on a Hollywood style tour and even wants to participate in the Oscars, when we are even uncertain if defending our national boarders is a matter of debate, and all that we have previously gained in race relations through the turbulent years seems to be sliding backwards at an alarming rate, when people openly, and sometimes even violently protest the very existence of both police and jails... ALL of these and more not mentioned here, make me thing about the SIGNS of the "gathering storm"... yet so few of the people we elect to lead us, from local to national, seem to have a grasp of leadership... kind of "blow with the wind". Not good. Voting takes a LOT of home work, much of it not easy ! Looking up the record of judgments of every judge to be voted on to "retain", is not an easy task. Checking out every name on a ballot to determine if their words have met their stated philosophy, morality, and goals, is NOT an easy task. Maybe we should teach a more in-depth understanding of what a responsible voter must do to be prepared. Perhaps this should not be something only mentioned in 5th grade once, again in 8th grade civics once ? Later on, in high school, assignments to do in depth research on a public figure (choose a judge, state's attorney, a president, or member of congress, presently in office, and write a research paper comparing and contrasting their stated beliefs and philosophy, with their actions in office. Some times these types of contracts are just too vague to our students. Students are usually just "taught" about the "right to vote", not much follow up or actual assignments.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:

Why I hate working for corporations in one simple article.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

I was in the biz and worked as an independent adjuster just like Mr. Lee in the article. Had about 20 different clients including Lloyds of London. About 10% of our clients did the same thing to us as they did with Mr. Lee. None of these companies were Lloyds. This type of adjusting will cause significant problems for the insurance company. In cases like this, homeowner should hire a public adjuster and/or a good lawyer who handles these type of cases. Bet that the insurance company is going to pay more than the original adjuster's estimate.

Many times I had to bite my tonque as some insurance companies altered reports/estimates without my knowledge.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Many times I had to bite my tonque as some insurance companies altered reports/estimates without my knowledge.
That's when one becomes an enabler of corporate fraud, and it sucks when that's your job/trade. Yeah, i tried to turn in a person at work for ethics violation, outright lying, and although I didn't go formal channels, I told enough people and he finally left. . . but one person is way different than a whole industry and blatant, outright fraud.

And the whole industry is corrupt, and that is a whole bigger issue, impacting all of Florida and the mortgage industry, and the housing industry, and its better for the insurance company to go bankrupt than play us for fools. .

same with health care insurance with UHC, same behaviors with their internal medical reviews. . .

Inside UnitedHealth’s Effort to Deny Coverage for a Patient’s Care — ProPublica

so you love UHC stock price and believe in corporatism, or you believe in consumer rights and fairness and lack of fraud for people/corporations standing behind their products . . . one side or the other. . .

and yeah, the future is uncertain, always was and always will be, so one never knows when and where the next disaster will be, so insurance here along the coast should be expensive. . and florida should be expensive relatively speaking as the risk is not linear like the rest of the country, and healthcare insurance should NOT have a huge profit motive either. . or a near monopoly status and not be held to a higher standard with record profits and bonuses for deny coverages to maintain profit growth
Old 03-12-2023, 04:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
That's when one becomes an enabler of corporate fraud, and it sucks when that's your job/trade. Yeah, i tried to turn in a person at work for ethics violation, outright lying, and although I didn't go formal channels, I told enough people and he finally left. . . but one person is way different than a whole industry and blatant, outright fraud.

And the whole industry is corrupt, and that is a whole bigger issue, impacting all of Florida and the mortgage industry, and the housing industry, and its better for the insurance company to go bankrupt than play us for fools. .

same with health care insurance with UHC, same behaviors with their internal medical reviews. . .

so you love UHC stock price and believe in corporatism, or you believe in consumer rights and fairness and lack of fraud for people/corporations standing behind their products . . . one side or the other. . .

and yeah, the future is uncertain, always was and always will be, so one never knows when and where the next disaster will be, so insurance here along the coast should be expensive. . and florida should be expensive relatively speaking as the risk is not linear like the rest of the country, and healthcare insurance should NOT have a huge profit motive either. . or a near monopoly status and not be held to a higher standard with record profits and bonuses for deny coverages to maintain profit growth
I bit my tongue but vowed that the insurance company would have paid big bucks if case ever went to court. Unfortunately for me and others they were the client. Insurance company would have to show that they knew more about the damages than myself and I had 1st hand knowledge of the damages. An average attorney could have ripped up the DESK adjuster.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:17 AM

Is the solution the insurance companies need to raise rates to actually be able to cover losses while still making a profit? Are you willing to pay more for this coverage? And if the insurance companies are making money hand over fist, why are so many vacating the business. As home values have soared, so have repair costs and rates likely have not kept up with values. We either pay more up front or have to argue when it’s claim time. And anyone here who thinks rates are high enough to make a profit should start an insurance company we can all utilize and save on our current insurance rates.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It’s not broken, but I’m guessing you mean why are Ins. rates have gone up. Well I can tell you, Ins. rates have gone up all over the country. Yea, we can find another Ins. company that’ll give cheaper rates but I’m sure that cheaper company will raise your rates next year. It’s not broken, we’re just helping the ones that put in claims. We don’t think the Ins. companies are paying them out of their pockets, they would go broke! So the govt. thinks the economy is going strong.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:38 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Are we shocked at such dishonesty ? Mission control, we have a LOT Of serious problems. Some of you are probably very familiar with Herman Wouk's works. I think of the gathering storm; the period before WW2, before our U.S. involvement. So many factors in addition to the ones most often listed in history books. Age has advantages and disadvantages; as I look around today, a bank failure (1, or perhaps more to come ?), a history of government (that's US folks, not some vague entity with very deep pockets), when insurance companies, auto companies, medicine, becomes inextricably entwined with "government", when strange bed fellows become BFF's, and the leader of a country in a serious war goes on a Hollywood style tour and even wants to participate in the Oscars, when we are even uncertain if defending our national boarders is a matter of debate, and all that we have previously gained in race relations through the turbulent years seems to be sliding backwards at an alarming rate, when people openly, and sometimes even violently protest the very existence of both police and jails... ALL of these and more not mentioned here, make me thing about the SIGNS of the "gathering storm"... yet so few of the people we elect to lead us, from local to national, seem to have a grasp of leadership... kind of "blow with the wind". Not good. Voting takes a LOT of home work, much of it not easy ! Looking up the record of judgments of every judge to be voted on to "retain", is not an easy task. Checking out every name on a ballot to determine if their words have met their stated philosophy, morality, and goals, is NOT an easy task. Maybe we should teach a more in-depth understanding of what a responsible voter must do to be prepared. Perhaps this should not be something only mentioned in 5th grade once, again in 8th grade civics once ? Later on, in high school, assignments to do in depth research on a public figure (choose a judge, state's attorney, a president, or member of congress, presently in office, and write a research paper comparing and contrasting their stated beliefs and philosophy, with their actions in office. Some times these types of contracts are just too vague to our students. Students are usually just "taught" about the "right to vote", not much follow up or actual assignments.

That’s a lot, especially all in one paragraph. Anyway, I read it all. About that bank failure part……..

I am wondering if all the “news” sources out there to choose from have been making their devotees aware of the fact that in 2018 there was a rollback of banking regulations that had been put into law in 2010 — known as Dodd-Frank.

Deregulation is coming home to roost.

It did not take long……

And yet, so many have been allowing themselves to be hypnotized into sic ‘em mode as they seem to revel in hateful rhetoric designed to push buttons, to point, and distract with things that will never affect their everyday lives — like deregulation will…..and is.

This bank thing is making my skin crawl.

“Unrestrained greed is not only bad morals, it’s bad economics.”

Boomer

Pogo was right.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
I was in the biz and worked as an independent adjuster just like Mr. Lee in the article. Had about 20 different clients including Lloyds of London. About 10% of our clients did the same thing to us as they did with Mr. Lee. None of these companies were Lloyds. This type of adjusting will cause significant problems for the insurance company. In cases like this, homeowner should hire a public adjuster and/or a good lawyer who handles these type of cases. Bet that the insurance company is going to pay more than the original adjuster's estimate.

Thanks, a good post. Nice to know how a real INSIDER thinks.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

In Florida, insurance should cost more because of non-linearities. OK. Also because Florida is basically an island sitting in seas of record HOT water in the summer that bodes poorly with respect to additional KILLER hurricanes. Seems that recent legislation has benefitted the insurance companies making it harder to sue them.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Is the solution the insurance companies need to raise rates to actually be able to cover losses while still making a profit? Are you willing to pay more for this coverage? And if the insurance companies are making money hand over fist, why are so many vacating the business. As home values have soared, so have repair costs and rates likely have not kept up with values. We either pay more up front or have to argue when it’s claim time. And anyone here who thinks rates are high enough to make a profit should start an insurance company we can all utilize and save on our current insurance rates.
Village people getting together and SELF-INSURING might just be a good idea and work well. I would support that. We just need some EMPATHETIC insurance expert to STEP-UP.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
That’s a lot, especially all in one paragraph. Anyway, I read it all. About that bank failure part……..

I am wondering if all the “news” sources out there to choose from have been making their devotees aware of the fact that in 2018 there was a rollback of banking regulations that had been put into law in 2010 — known as Dodd-Frank.

Deregulation is coming home to roost.

It did not take long……

And yet, so many have been allowing themselves to be hypnotized into sic ‘em mode as they seem to revel in hateful rhetoric designed to push buttons, to point, and distract with things that will never affect their everyday lives — like deregulation will…..and is.

This bank thing is making my skin crawl.

“Unrestrained greed is not only bad morals, it’s bad economics.”

Boomer

Pogo was right.
Deregulation USUALLY has unintended consequences. Without restraints, GREED will run AMUCK and hurt 99% of the population.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,250 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
In Florida, insurance should cost more because of non-linearities. OK. Also because Florida is basically an island sitting in seas of record HOT water in the summer that bodes poorly with respect to additional KILLER hurricanes. Seems that recent legislation has benefitted the insurance companies making it harder to sue them.
Funny... There has been NO increase in the number of KILLER hurricanes hitting FL...

Go figure...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-13-2023, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Your post is too long!
Closed Thread

Tags
reports;, ohdear, estimates, damage, payouts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.