More Transparency of this Message Board Needed

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2022, 02:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Just because most anyone can post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Does anyone know who manages this forum and if there is a way to contact them directly? I think it would be good for there to be some accountability for those who moderate what people can say on a public platform.
doesn't make it a PUBLIC forum. It's privately owned therefore they make the rules. You can always go somewhere else.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

I would comment but would worry about getting a vacation so will just read comments
Old 10-28-2022, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would comment but would worry about getting a vacation so will just read comments
ditto
Old 10-28-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
YOU were an aol moderator? I have a bone to pick with you (What does that even mean?). Back in 1992 I was suspended for 7 days for ... .
I miss the old AOL (IGOLF) forum; we had a few good battles there!
Old 10-28-2022, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Arrow

Talk Host had come to a Villages Computer Club meeting in July of 2007 to get people to join Talk of the Villages. They even had a lottery with nice prizes if you signed up for TOTV. I joined them and started posting and going to the weekly Crispers mid-afternoon meals on Fridays. Some of the people I met in these dates do still post on TOTV but some have died, some moved away, some went to just Facebook or some other kind of message board, and others I have no idea where they went.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-28-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I hate to tell you, but this is not a public forum, it is a private business. There is no free speech here. The moderators can censor you anytime they wish and you have no recourse. It is their business and you may wish to be able to contest how they operate their business, but you will have to do it elsewhere.

They have given us rules which they can enforce or not enforce, interpret or adjust as they see fit, on a whim or with careful consideration.

You can play on their playground as long as they let you, and you can take your toys and go home if you are unhappy.

Knowing their names or where they live makes no difference unless you feel the need to personally intimidate or attack the ownership. If you wish to thank them for doing the work and charging you nothing to visit this website, you can do it here any time you wish.

It is more than a bit ironic that someone clamoring for more transparency is not telling us his/her real identity.
Whoever said I would not reveal my true identity. I don't see anyone using their names for their usernames. I guess I could but then I'm not controlling what people say. You want to know mine, then send me a PM and I will be happy to tell you. I have nothing to hide.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Their office(s) is(are) located on the southwestern corner of the Villages Charter School campus, at 350 Tatonka Terrace. Joseph Pearson is their Manager of Sales and Marketing, and they can be reached at (352) 689-4645. They also own golfcartguide.com.

This is public information, found with a google search.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Does anyone know who manages this forum and if there is a way to contact them directly? I think it would be good for there to be some accountability for those who moderate what people can say on a public platform.
While it is a PUBLIC forum it is also a privately owned business. You (and all the rest of us) have zero rights of free speech here. What does bug me is that moderation is not handed out "equally" but seeing as to who makes the rules that is entirely within their right.

As for "contacting moderators" over the years I have asked 2 or 3 questions of them from their "contact us" form but NEVER have received a response.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Same here, moderated Atari boards ad early as the 300 baud dial up days ;-)
Cool !! I was a Compuserve "BBS FORUM" moderator back in the early 1980's TRS-80 days. Then had my own dial-up BBS (one of the first public BBS's with a hard drive (5 MEGAbytes!!) in the US and then first with a Hayes 1200 baud modem I was field testing). Those were the fun days.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Cool !! I was a Compuserve "BBS FORUM" moderator back in the early 1980's TRS-80 days. Then had my own dial-up BBS (one of the first public BBS's with a hard drive (5 MEGAbytes!!) in the US and then first with a Hayes 1200 baud modem I was field testing). Those were the fun days.
Yes they were!.

Not fun today for sure.

I'm at the point feeling social media is causing far more harm than good. But that is a different topic.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

Maybe Elon will buy it and Make TOTV Great Again! lol.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
I was a moderator on an herbology BBS in 1990, and became a file librarian and moderator for the Prodigy Online Astrology and New Age chat department.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I was on Findlaw from around 2002 through 2007 or so. Tried to help a man who was in hot water in Northern VA. Travelling to many of the Tampa Bay area academic and law libraries to help this man with his pro bono case. You could just make up your user name and change it hundreds of times if you so desired back then. The cyber bullying was completely out-of-control and I learned near the end that the worst one I had posting many personal attacks every day of me turned out to be the person I had been travelling all over the Tampa Bay area to help with his legal research.

I could not wait to find some other place online. And found it with Talk of the Villages. I only look at Findlaw every so often now.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-07-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:44 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Thanks to the owners of Talk of the Villages. Talk Host and Tony used to visit the TOTV Friday afternoon meetings at Crispers but they and whoever else sold their interests. This is a very good site for information about the Villages. You do have to do some digging though.
I can't believe someone else remembers that... at the time, I thought it was just villagers (residents) who set up a free website for us to be able to communicate, especially since it was difficult to get any news other than what the Daily Sun wanted residents to know. Used to be very helpful/reliable for suggestions for honest trades people, and yes, we'd meet in person at Crispers in the Publix plaza on 466, always on Fridays. It's changed a lot, especially how if ones asks for a recommendation to have something done, now seems it's more paid recommendations (??), or false recommendations from made up sources. Don't know, maybe not, but the whole "tone", the way people communicated with others changed.. guess everything does.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Compuserve Finance/stock/investing forum was the best. I was chatting with mark cuban back in the early 90s about internet technology, he was smarter than i was for sure. . .

In the late 80s i was using Red Ryder and a dial up modem. In 1991, was was working as a financial analyst in a networking R&D and manufacturing company using the internet. . .

one of the best jobs in a brand new industry with people who all saw the future, and the good ol' days

old technology guy
Closed Thread

Tags
good, accountability, moderate, people, public

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.