Movie Pass, too good to be true?

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 AM
Gold member
Default Movie Pass, too good to be true?

While many Villagers have signed onto the Moviepass program this year and currently enjoy up to a movie a day for just a 9.99 monthly fee, there are major changes coming to the program in the next few weeks. Got this email from Moviepass yesterday.

"In the spirit of innovation and growth, we are now announcing the next phase in the evolution of our product: Demand Pricing."

" Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month."

The good news is that this will not not go into effect for current subscribers until your annual renewal.

They are also introducing 2 new options, Bring a Guest and the ability to see 3D movies for a small additional charge. Since the MoviePass card is an actual Mastercard, I'm guessing you'll be billed and get a monthly statement if you use any of these additional services.

This was given to us as a gift and we've really enjoyed it so far, it's great during Oscar season, not so much during the off months. I think we'll have to take a strong look at this before renewing to see what kind of other changes they implement.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Platinum member

Still think it's a good deal when you take into account that a resident ticket is $8.50 and a yearly basic membership is $9.99.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Gold member

You mean 9.95 a month

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 06-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Has a nominal effect on my movie viewing habits. I'm not a first responder, and would rather see the movie theater get more revenue the further from opening day I visit. Still a tremendous value.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

I love having the movie pass. I find myself going to the movies a lot more than I used to, and I enjoy the movies more seeing them on the big screen. I also go see some movies that I might not have bothered to see, would have waited till they came out on Netflix, and sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised. Didn't realize MoviePass was making changes, but it makes sense. Thanks for the heads up, Kahuna.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

I've really enjoyed my MoviePass subscription... when it works. It seems like every time they roll out an update to the app to add a new feature (if preventing you from seeing a movie more than once and requiring you to take pictures of your tickets are "features"), the app gets less and less stable. And on more than one occasion, the app has crashed on me when finally tapping on the button to buy a ticket. This has happened to me mostly when I've gone to the AMC Leesburg (love those reclining seats!). It's almost as if their WiFi disallows me from fully working with MoviePass (though that sounds paranoid to me even as I type it). A couple of months ago, it wouldn't even find what theaters were in my area and that lasted for a few weeks. This is all on my Android phone. My neighbor has an iPhone and MoviePass just would never remember his ID and password. He and his wife both had it for a couple of months and finally gave up on it and cancelled it without ever having it pay for a single movie ticket. My wife was frustrated enough with hers that she finally cancelled her membership. I'm frustrated too but when it works, it's so nice to drop in to movies I might never have given a chance.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Still think it's a good deal when you take into account that a resident ticket is $8.50 and a yearly basic membership is $9.99.
$9.99 a month...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2018, 02:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I've really enjoyed my MoviePass subscription... when it works. It seems like every time they roll out an update to the app to add a new feature (if preventing you from seeing a movie more than once and requiring you to take pictures of your tickets are "features"), the app gets less and less stable. And on more than one occasion, the app has crashed on me when finally tapping on the button to buy a ticket. This has happened to me mostly when I've gone to the AMC Leesburg (love those reclining seats!). It's almost as if their WiFi disallows me from fully working with MoviePass (though that sounds paranoid to me even as I type it). A couple of months ago, it wouldn't even find what theaters were in my area and that lasted for a few weeks. This is all on my Android phone. My neighbor has an iPhone and MoviePass just would never remember his ID and password. He and his wife both had it for a couple of months and finally gave up on it and cancelled it without ever having it pay for a single movie ticket. My wife was frustrated enough with hers that she finally cancelled her membership. I'm frustrated too but when it works, it's so nice to drop in to movies I might never have given a chance.
Does not sound worth the stress.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:20 AM

Nothing ever stays the same. I Like it. Take it or leave it.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Some don’t realize a phone can store passwords
Old 06-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Mark. Got it last December. I have never seen so many movies ever.
Great deal. Seems like everyone in TV has it.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage

It is too good to be true.but it is true.
So is John 3:16. For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
So take em or leave em. :-)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
Mark. Got it last December. I have never seen so many movies ever.
Great deal. Seems like everyone in TV has it.
The theaters don't lose a dime. We should have our own line. Experts should guide uses not other kind hearted villagers.

Last edited by tomwed; 07-04-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

The theater make $$$$ off the concessions. Not many can see a movie without popcorn and soda. Would be unamerican!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage

What if they sold a popcorn pass. For $10/month you can get 1 small popcorn a day.
Closed Thread

Tags
moviepass, additional, subscribers, demand, peak

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.