Mr Duncan's family and ebola

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Sage
Default Mr Duncan's family and ebola

Does anyone else find it strange that no members of Mr. Duncan's family are showing any symptoms of ebola. These people were living with him and I assume caring for him while he was very ill and yet they have somehow escaped infection. Then we have two nurses who knew of the risks and I am sure did everything possible to protect themselves yet they become infected. Perhaps it doesn't become as contagious as we believe until you are well into the illness? Just a thought I'm trying to wrap my brain around.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Sage

As a physician explained on the Dianne Rehm Show today, in answer to that very question, it becomes more contagious the longer a patient has it.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Sage
Presbyterian workers wore no hazmat suits for two days while treating Ebola patient | Dallas Morning News

The Dallas Morning News is reporting today that hospital workers did not wear protective gear for two days while treating Mr Duncan. It wasn't until after tests confirmed that he had Ebola that they started wearing hazmat suits.

Why the family has no symptoms is still a mystery.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
As a physician explained on the Dianne Rehm Show today, in answer to that very question, it becomes more contagious the longer a patient has it.
Thank you Carla - I had not heard that before. I'm curious why this information isn't being stressed - would certainly put people's mind somewhat at ease.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Thank you Carla - I had not heard that before. I'm curious why this information isn't being stressed - would certainly put people's mind somewhat at ease.
If you want to hear today's Diane Rehm Show, go to npr.org and click on Programs, scroll to Diane Rehm to open her page and there you can hear the entire show.

Also, on npr.org, opening page article, it says the 2 nurses were caring for the patient during the vomiting stage of the disease.

(I was trying so hard not to get into this thread. But I wanted to pass along this information in case others might be interested in accessing npr.org to see how they are doing with coverage.)

Note: If you decide to listen to Diane Rehm's show and this is your first time hearing her, you might find her voice to be unusual. This is due to a neurological voice disorder. Her show has been around for a long time. She covers lots of topics and interviews interesting people. I like being able to go to the website and find shows to listen to when I have time. I have not heard today's show yet. Not sure if I will listen.

Last edited by Laurie2; 10-15-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage

It's funny how people get Ebola and we cant figure out why. It's obvious that we don't understand all we know about this. I don't believe what they are telling us that it is hard to transmitt and only by body fluids. Sounds like all the bull we heard in the 50's about getting polio......non of it was true.
The fact that we have it in this country when we shouldn't is completely insane.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
It's funny how people get Ebola and we cant figure out why. It's obvious that we don't understand all we know about this. I don't believe what they are telling us that it is hard to transmitt and only by body fluids. Sounds like all the bull we heard in the 50's about getting polio......non of it was true.
The fact that we have it in this country when we shouldn't is completely insane.
I agree. I believe nothing we are being told. I trust nobody in government nor do I trust the talking head M.D.s the govt. parades in front of us to spew the government line of b.s.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
If you want to hear today's Diane Rehm Show, go to npr.org and click on Programs, scroll to Diane Rehm to open her page and there you can hear the entire show.

Also, on npr.org, opening page article, it says the 2 nurses were caring for the patient during the vomiting stage of the disease.

(I was trying so hard not to get into this thread. But I wanted to pass along this information in case others might be interested in accessing npr.org to see how they are doing with coverage.)

Note: If you decide to listen to Diane Rehm's show and this is your first time hearing her, you might find her voice to be unusual. This is due to a neurological voice disorder. Her show has been around for a long time. She covers lots of topics and interviews interesting people. I like being able to go to the website and find shows to listen to when I have time. I have not heard today's show yet. Not sure if I will listen.
I enjoy Diane Rehm and always thought she spoke that way because she was forming the perfect question. I find her very calming and reassuring. I'm glad you posted.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Platinum member

NONE of it makes sense! I haven't heard even a halfway intelligent reason for not imposing a travel ban!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Sage

Maybe Duncan knew he was infected when he came to America for treatment, keeping his fever down with ibuprofen for the flight, then had his family stay away from him. The US govt is at fault for not stopping all visas from these countries.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Perhaps it doesn't become as contagious as we believe until you are well into the illness? Just a thought I'm trying to wrap my brain around.
Yes, Ebola becomes more virulent with time. Also, the small size and how this virus behaves has greater capability compared to other infectious diseases of entering the body through the pores of intact skin.

When Mr. Duncan was home he was likely at the non virus sheading stage, but once the disease progressed and he was admitted to the hospital where invasive procedures began such as blood draws, and as he deteoriated more invasive procedures were initiated in an attempt to save his life thus creating increased exposure to body fluids for those directly caring for him.

What I can't wrap my brain around is that 2nd nurse traveling on a plane after nurse 1 had already been diagnosed with Ebola. I went to old time nursing school during the days of metal bed pans, caps, and Clinic nursing shoes and can remember my nursing instructors telling us students if we were ever caught in public in our uniforms we would be expelled on the spot for bringing germs from the community to patients or bringing patient germs to the community. It still very much bothers me seeing healthcare workers sometimes in stained dirty scrubs everywhere from banks to grocery stores just happily spreading their germ wealth to you and me.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
It still very much bothers me seeing healthcare workers sometimes in stained dirty scrubs everywhere from banks to grocery stores just happily spreading their germ wealth to you and me.
I never thought about that before. I have seen people dressed in scrubs in public. But when you visit someone in the hospital, with everyone walking around in scrubs, isn't that also the same exposure? I don't mean to sound snarky, not at all. I just don't know what nurses know.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I never thought about that before. I have seen people dressed in scrubs in public. But when you visit someone in the hospital, with everyone walking around in scrubs, isn't that also the same exposure? I don't mean to sound snarky, not at all. I just don't know what nurses know.
Hospitals were created for the ill not the well, so when a visitor enters a hospital they are entering at their own risk of exposure to all the hospital acquired infections floating around.

A nurse who happens to have a stain on their scrubs that he/she may not even be aware of, that stain's source could be body fluid from a patient they cared for with MRSA, C-Diff, VRE, etc., which any of these can be deadly to an immunocompromised person who may accidently brush up against that stain while in line at the grocery store.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.