My experience with a couple of those cremation seminars-if you might be interested

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Default My experience with a couple of those cremation seminars-if you might be interested

I recently decided to attend a couple of the seminars on cremation that we see in our mailboxes or in the Daily Sun. I wanted to understand what each company offered, as I am one of those types who likes to have their ducks in a row...
ducks-row-jpg

First, I would recommend attending one of the seminars (the free lunches offered as an incentive are good) to learn for yourself and ask questions pertinent to your situation. The "seminar" portion lasts about 20-30 minutes (depends upon the number of attendees and questions), so it is not really tying up a lot of your time. One of the two presenters was a bit more forward in wanting to set up a follow-up meeting, so you do need to be willing (and it is ok) to tell the presenter that you want to review the information before committing to a follow-up meeting.

Full disclosure: I only attended two of these seminars, as I was impressed enough with the presentation of one of the two representatives, and the follow-up web work I did with that company, that I will be moving into signing 3 contracts with that company.

The first presentation I attended was good, but going in I knew that I would not sign a contract with that company right away, as I was there to learn about the process and hear their sales pitch (that is what these seminars really are so understand that going in). I would suggest that you should attend more than one seminar and do NOT sign anything until you do so.

So, company "A's" information sharing (re: sales pitch) met my learning goal. In fact, I was under the impression, based upon this ONE seminar, that they offered security on my investment (the concern that a company could go out of business and losing my money) and also would arrange transport of remains from anywhere in the world back to Florida at no additional cost that other pre-planning businesses did not offer. Admittingly, I was tempted to sign up with Company "A", but as with anything, don't let emotion or lack of sufficient data make your decision for you. What I subsequently learned was that the presenter of company "A" did not lie, but definitely led me to believe that only their company would be the one to go with for being able to handle these concerns. As the pitch wound down, the presenter did provide a range of cost (about $400 difference depending upon some options you chose-those options were NOT identified at the pitch). The presenter then indicated that they would be coming around to each of us to set up a private appointment so that we could review the contract, even though we would not be under any obligation to sign the contract and buy their pre-planning package. Don't be afraid to politely decline! Note that there were several couples who signed up for the follow-up meeting. I would suggest if you can't politely decline a meeting at the pitch (unless you have already decided that this was the company for you), it will be harder to say no in a "one on one" in your home.

Company "B's" presentation was very good, and I was extremely thankful that I attended it. Giving credit where credit is due, Company "B" actually publishes their fee structure online so I knew approximately what the costs would be before going to their pitch. I could not find fee structures for company "A" or one of the other companies online. In all fairness, it should be noted that Company B does offer a package that was not online (it includes the insurance discussed below), but the cost structure was in line with the published costs (so no bait and switch). The representative was very good and talked about transparency, which is supported by their willingness to publish their fees online. Company "B's" representative informed me that my pre-planning payment would be placed in a Preneed Funeral Contract Consumer Protection Trust Fund (here is a link to the Florida regulations for your convenience: link see 497.456(4)) and I would receive a 100% refund if I decide to cancel my policy or if the licensee (in this case, Company "B") went out of business. Additionally, company "B" offered an addendum to the pre-planning contract which consists of basically "travel insurance" so that your remains would be returned to Florida from anywhere in the world at no additional cost to your survivors. This addendum does come with an additional cost (which is actually included in the package presented) and it would be the only money that is non-refundable and which is at risk should the company go out of business before their services were needed. If you don't travel and KNOW that you will be within 75 miles at the time their service is needed, you don't need the insurance. It is a risk based decision. I don't know how Company "A" manages their no additional cost transfer of remains as I decided to not pursue doing business with that company so the answer would be moot for me. The representative for company "B" indicated that she would contact me in about a week to see if I had additional questions or if I had yet made any decisions.

Company "A" gave us 3 days to sign a contract to receive a discount, whereas company "B" provided a 2 week window. Both representatives did point out that price increases would also be coming (this is not unexpected for ANY business), most likely around March 1st.

I suppose that if you truly wanted to do "due diligence", you should meet with more than 2 companies, but for me, it was not clear that the other potential "lunch seminar" companies would better than, in my case, company "B".

Good luck and I hope this post was helpful.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

In my opinion, paying for a cremation or funeral before you are dead makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, paying for a cremation or funeral before you are dead makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I’m not sure. Wouldn’t it be a true gift to your heirs? My mom did this, and all we needed to do was make one phone call. It worked perfectly. This was up north.

Not sure why OP refers to company “A” and “‘B.” Why anonymity?

We attended a seminar held by Baldwin Brothers. They’ve been in business some forty years and, by all accounts, have an excellent reputation.

The only reason we didn’t go for it is that they were not able to answer the question “what if they go out of business before I die?” Yes, I know there’s a “trust fund” which would (likely) refund a portion of the amount we prepay to the estate. That part was somewhat gray, but, more importantly, where does that leave our heirs if this occurs?

We just were not able to get a definitive answer to this question. We all know that anyone can go out of business despite their success today.

I think I wanted to hear they were part of an association that would honor the contract should Baldwin Brothers cease to exist.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:35 PM

great info. Looks like we need to sign up for some free lunches & hear the info. We want to leave our loved ones with the least amount of work to do. thanks much!
Old 02-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I’m not sure. Wouldn’t it be a true gift to your heirs? My mom did this, and all we needed to do was make one phone call. It worked perfectly. This was up north.

I agree here. One of the contracts I am signing will be for my parent. I have been through multiple funerals in the family and there is enough stress with dealing with the passing that having to make decisions "on the fly" only exasperates the situation. I understand not everyone agrees with prepayment, and that is ok, but decisions made emotionally or in haste could be more problematic. Making a single phone call and getting it all taken care of seems intuitively better, as indicated by the shared experience above.

Not sure why OP refers to company “A” and “‘B.” Why anonymity?

I chose to not name the companies, as I did not want to "taint" anyone who chooses to attend or not attend a seminar based upon my posting. Company "A" might be a more viable option for someone based upon their personal circumstances. I wanted to give people something to think about and perhaps it will give them ideas for questions to ask which might make the experience more valuable for them, such as a follow-up on the point below about how secure from loss would the investment be?

We attended a seminar held by Baldwin Brothers. They’ve been in business some forty years and, by all accounts, have an excellent reputation.

The only reason we didn’t go for it is that they were not able to answer the question “what if they go out of business before I die?” Yes, I know there’s a “trust fund” which would (likely) refund a portion of the amount we prepay to the estate. That part was somewhat gray, but, more importantly, where does that leave our heirs if this occurs?

We just were not able to get a definitive answer to this question. We all know that anyone can go out of business despite their success today.

I think I wanted to hear they were part of an association that would honor the contract should Baldwin Brothers cease to exist.
I understand and respect the hesitancy. Perhaps if one is in a situation where the end is closer than desirable, it would be less of a concern?

Last edited by Trayderjoe; 02-10-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Agreed but possibly for another reason. Life is funny you might move out of the area before you pass and good luck getting your money back.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Agreed but possibly for another reason. Life is funny you might move out of the area before you pass and good luck getting your money back.
Based upon the information I collected, I can cancel and receive a 100% refund (less the travel insurance premium) at any time prior to using the service. I will be sure that this is specifically in the contract I sign.

Florida has many laws/regulations pertaining to senior citizens that may not be true in other states. As with any contract, it needs to be spelled out as to the expected deliverables and not assumed.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps you don't have children or other relatives who would have to deal with the cremation/funeral when you die.

My parents paid for their burial, gravestone, perpetual care, and memorial service years ago. When they die, my sister and I will have enough on our plates to deal with. This will be just one less thing.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
We did this for my mother and it really was wonderful. The people at the society were great, they handled everything. They were respectful and took care of it, we got the time we needed after she passed and that was that. Contrasted that with my step-dad, holy moly was that stressful. The confusion, the funeral home, calls, meetings, arraignments, on and on.

I can't speak to what this guy saw or the seminars or whatever, but getting it all figured out ahead of time when you're rational and not dealing with grief is a blessing. It was also cheaper all said and done and not an immediate outlay that you didn't expect. I'll definitely get something like this when we get closer to the finish line.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Paying for anything after you are dead is a bit difficult.

Putting affairs in order to relieve some of the stress on those you leave behind seems like a very thoughtful and considerate thing to do.

And as others have pointed out, things change and people move so be careful.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-11-2021, 12:16 AM
Platinum member
Default What happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Based upon the information I collected, I can cancel and receive a 100% refund (less the travel insurance premium) at any time prior to using the service. I will be sure that this is specifically in the contract I sign.

Florida has many laws/regulations pertaining to senior citizens that may not be true in other states. As with any contract, it needs to be spelled out as to the expected deliverables and not assumed.
What happens if the company disappears with all your payment?
Old 02-11-2021, 02:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

One thing I have learnt with dealing with businesses, is that if there is a time limit for a discount, you will get that discount way past their limit.
Never be hassled to sign quickly.
Give yourself time to evaluate all offers, and contracts, make your decision, then tell the company you still want the discount, if they say you are out of time, tell them you are going elsewhere.
You will still get it.
I have never been refused.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:58 AM

I agree. Why the alphabet soup? It’s ok to name them.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
I think it makes no sense NOT to. Do you have an iron clad will? Did you pay a lawyer for that? Do you intend to leave it to someone else to take care of your final needs.? Do you want to be cremated and dont care where your ashes go? BUt mostly, youre leaving a task to an alleged loved one during their most difficult time because you dont want to do it yourself.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Mine covers me even if I move out of the area. They partner with a crematory to have me cremated in that area.
Closed Thread

Tags
company, pitch, cost, contract, additional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.