Dr Fauci the gold standard?

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Dr Fauci the gold standard?

“This is not a major threat for the people in United States, and this is not something the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about” - Dr. Fauci to
@gregkellyusa
, Jan 21, 2020

Twitter

Playing the blame game is fruitless, it's easy to find statements that in retrospect seem foolish today. (yes I have done it) I like Fauci and think he's trying to do the best he can.

This is on China, PERIOD.

Like I said in another thread, trying to blame anyone but China for our present lifestyle is like blaming the fire fighters after an arsonist sets your house on fire.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

I’d never thought I’d say this, I bend over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt... but in the light of new information about how China misled the rest of the world about this virus, I agree with you.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:53 PM

Hopefully, when this is an ugly memory and people have moved on with their lives in whatever the new "normal" will be, they will remember that it is better to pay a few dollars extra for items and bring those jobs back to our own country vs being as dependent as we have allowed ourselves to become on exports where saving a buck becomes the bottom line. ESPECIALLY when it comes to Pharmaceuticals and equipment. The last time the entire world dealt with something of this magnitude was the Spanish Flu over 100 yrs ago, and we, unfortunately, left ourselves very vulnerable in a modern culture by relying on profits/costs over safety and security concerns. If you remember a few years back, this was the case,only with our pets. The number of animals that were dying from food items and chew sticks/treats that was specifically problematic for dogs. Kidney failures and system shut downs for animals having literally been poisoned by these imported items, that cost $5 less per bag.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Might want to aspire to a different standard. During these crazy markets Gold was supposed to be the investment of choice, but it has not lived up to it’s reputation as the standard.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
“This is not a major threat for the people in United States, and this is not something the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about” - Dr. Fauci to
@gregkellyusa
, Jan 21, 2020

Twitter

Playing the blame game is fruitless, it's easy to find statements that in retrospect seem foolish today. (yes I have done it) I like Fauci and think he's trying to do the best he can.

This is on China, PERIOD.

Like I said in another thread, trying to blame anyone but China for our present lifestyle is like blaming the fire fighters after an arsonist sets your house on fire.
The quote was taken out of context. At the same time he did say we have to take it seriously and do everything the CDC recommends. . A month later he said - The risk of coronavirus in this country is still relatively low, but, as I said about the possibility of emerging into a pandemic, this could change. As of today, on the 17th of February, the risk is really relatively low. But we, the public health officials, have to take this seriously enough to be prepared for it changing and there being a pandemic.

So the bottom line was, they were watching it, in the event it did morph into something bigger, which of course, it did.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Hopefully, when this is an ugly memory and people have moved on with their lives in whatever the new "normal" will be, they will remember that it is better to pay a few dollars extra for items and bring those jobs back to our own country vs being as dependent as we have allowed ourselves to become on exports where saving a buck becomes the bottom line. ESPECIALLY when it comes to Pharmaceuticals and equipment. The last time the entire world dealt with something of this magnitude was the Spanish Flu over 100 yrs ago, and we, unfortunately, left ourselves very vulnerable in a modern culture by relying on profits/costs over safety and security concerns. If you remember a few years back, this was the case,only with our pets. The number of animals that were dying from food items and chew sticks/treats that was specifically problematic for dogs. Kidney failures and system shut downs for animals having literally been poisoned by these imported items, that cost $5 less per bag.

And thus the unintended consequences of "globalism"

That and not being able to understand anyone who is providing technical support on the phone
Old 04-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And thus the unintended consequences of "globalism"

That and not being able to understand anyone who is providing technical support on the phone
Globalism for high profit at slave labor wage.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Gold member

Dr. Fauci is a hero in my book. The president tends to go off script way too often, and needs to be guided back to the mainstream. Fauci has an ability to do that, without getting political at all, and apparently without receiving the wrath of Trump, which is a rare skill. His credentials are impeccable, and the president should be commended for putting him in place and allowing him to be the face of the science of the coronavirus defense.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Unfortunately, COVID-19 models seem to be just as bad and just as unreliable as climate change models.

The reporting on models tend to be highly politicized.

Please, consider the source.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am quoting one of the posters on this thread who I agree with.;

"The quote was taken out of context. At the same time he did say we have to take it seriously and do everything the CDC recommends. . A month later he said - The risk of coronavirus in this country is still relatively low, but, as I said about the possibility of emerging into a pandemic, this could change. As of today, on the 17th of February, the risk is really relatively low. But we, the public health officials, have to take this seriously enough to be prepared for it changing and there being a pandemic.

So the bottom line was, they were watching it, in the event it did morph into something bigger, which of course, it did.
"

I am confused by the original post on this thread and don't understand the point the original poster was trying to make.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

"The quote was taken out of context. At the same time he did say we have to take it seriously and do everything the CDC recommends. . A month later he said - The risk of coronavirus in this country is still relatively low, but, as I said about the possibility of emerging into a pandemic, this could change. As of today, on the 17th of February, the risk is really relatively low. But we, the public health officials, have to take this seriously enough to be prepared for it changing and there being a pandemic.

"

I am confused by the original post on this thread and don't understand the point the original poster was trying to make.
The point is even the medical experts like Dr Fauci have made some pretty stupid statements if viewed from hindsight. Pretty sure he regrets telling americans not to worry, even if he followed that up with "but we're going to watch it"
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Veteran member

I remember the polio outbreak in the 1950's and the horrible effect it had families, and to some extent, the economy. I do not remember the politics, the blame game and the overzealous press (Monday morning quarterbacks) telling everyone what we should have done to avoid this pandemic. We will never learn from this experience. Several months from now life will go back to normal in this country, just like after 9/11, but the press will still be blaming, not reporting. I watch the news shows and wonder what out kids are learning from us. We want them to grow up to be responsible members of our society, while they are watching us attack each other like barbarians. For the first time in my life, I am glad I am old and won't be around to see the second round.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I remember the polio outbreak in the 1950's and the horrible effect it had families, and to some extent, the economy. I do not remember the politics, the blame game and the overzealous press (Monday morning quarterbacks) telling everyone what we should have done to avoid this pandemic. We will never learn from this experience. Several months from now life will go back to normal in this country, just like after 9/11, but the press will still be blaming, not reporting. I watch the news shows and wonder what out kids are learning from us. We want them to grow up to be responsible members of our society, while they are watching us attack each other like barbarians. For the first time in my life, I am glad I am old and won't be around to see the second round.
Agree. In some ways, the primary source of our division is the hyper-partisan press. It's always gotcha, why didn't you do something different, why can't you promise us 100% security? Whine, moan, gripe, etc.

If we had the same press corps in WWII, we'd all be speaking German today.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

Dr. Fauci may not be perfect but none of us is. IMO, he is as knowledgeable as anyone in his field and he is an excellent communicator. So is Dr. Birx. They are professionals who admit what they don’t know.

They treat people as adults with respect—not name calling, arrogance, defensiveness, or put downs. Just facts as they know them.
I, for one, rely on their messages on how to best behave in this crisis.
Please, folks, be careful. Don’t follow the advice of a “doctor” (or one who plays one on TOTV) on an anonymous Internet board.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

"

Oh Gracie, sure you understand the intent. Dr Fauci is being generally praised as a steady hand who has been careful to only present to the public well sourced best information available. There have been photos taken out of context that seem to show him distressed at comments made by others at press events. There are some who have contrasted his approach, not saying he knows more than anyone else or grading himself as to the choices he made, with others.

So now it becomes important to say, Dr. F said X and he was wrong. Thus if you say Person Y said A,B,C,D... they are all equal and no fault should be found or even suggested. Translation, stop praising Dr. F it might make somebody else look bad. And the fact that you can figure out who that somebody else might be is informative.

Tags
fauci, states, blame, china, united

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.