My Friends, Wear Your Masks

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Default My Friends, Wear Your Masks

The year was 1918, an image from this article.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	wear-masks-1918.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	83526  
Old 04-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

There was a replay of a 1998 PBS special on the 1918 epidemic. One of the points was that while many started to wear the masks they were like stopping a dust storm with chicken wire. Masks are designed to stop different size particles and have a micron rating. With the exception of the medical masks, most of what is made at home or available for purchase won't stop the spread and may only serve as a minor barrier which is why they stress SOCIAL DISTANCING. The masks will hopefully remind those we are around to keep their distance. The only place we will now wear one is the grocery store since that is the only place where social distancing is an issue for us.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
There was a replay of a 1998 PBS special on the 1918 epidemic. One of the points was that while many started to wear the masks they were like stopping a dust storm with chicken wire. Masks are designed to stop different size particles and have a micron rating. With the exception of the medical masks, most of what is made at home or available for purchase won't stop the spread and may only serve as a minor barrier which is why they stress SOCIAL DISTANCING. The masks will hopefully remind those we are around to keep their distance. The only place we will now wear one is the grocery store since that is the only place where social distancing is an issue for us.
Is it going to hurt? Keeps spread contained of water droplets in the air when coughing and sneezing rather than blasting It several feet which IMO feet not enough when somebody coughing let along sneezing.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM

If everyone wore a mask when in public, such as at the grocery or Sam's etc, it would reduce the transmission of the virus. For example: If I am asymptomatic, it does not mean that I am not a carrier of the Covid-19 virus. So out in public with a mask, if I talk, cough or sneeze, I emit no droplets of saliva or mist clouds of moisture that might contain the virus. With social distancing, I would not leave a virus cloud for someone else to breathe in. If everyone wears a mask in a public store where others are present, then no one would be emitting virus particles for others, thus reducing person to person transmission. However, if a person is sick with any symptoms of the flu, a cold, or the Covid-19 virus, they must remain at home and not shop in any grocery with or without a mask. Wearing a mask reduces the risk for others but does not protect the wearer from those that do not wear a mask unless the mask you wear is a medical grade mask which should be reserved for medical use and for first responders.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Is it going to hurt? Keeps spread contained of water droplets in the air when coughing and sneezing rather than blasting It several feet which IMO feet not enough when somebody coughing let along sneezing.
Don't disagree, just want to stress that a cloth mask isn't the end all and we need to respect that. Social distancing is still the best way and the mask is an assist, not a prevention. We can control the social distancing, first responders can't and the best available PPE should go to them.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
friends, wear, masks, year, image

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.