Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealmottiff View Post
I do not watch NFL can everybody still call me human
Sure. You are human...but weird.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Free Speech Rights: Offensive Speech Can Get You Fired, Not Jailed by Feds | National Review

The government cannot punish you for offensive speech, but your boss can fire you.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Free Speech Rights: Offensive Speech Can Get You Fired, Not Jailed by Feds | National Review

The government cannot punish you for offensive speech, but your boss can fire you.
Actually there are many limitations on speech-- offensive or otherwise.

At a football stadium the the police would come down very hard on you if you yelled "terrorist", "bomb", and or anything like that. That applies to pretty much any where right now. And saying things in front of kids will get you arrested depending what it is. You could get arrested while mailing something if you answer their questions wrong. There are hundreds of situations like depending when, where, and how you say things or write them.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-25-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Does Goodell have a clue?[/QUOTE]

Of course Goodell and the owners have a clue. There is a Collective Bargaining Agreement looming on the horizon. They "have the players' backs".

They are all a bunch of low lifes. Goodbye, NFL.
I didn't wear the uniform for 8 years to support these turds.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

So, you think college FB or BB is better, IMO wrong! it's still about the money, they just offer free rides instead cash at least what they want us to believe. IMO I bet maybe half of the top free ride players even get degree, but just stepping stone to NFL or NBA. We talk the talk, but can we walk the walk? doubt it will change anything anyway the children we raised expect it. protesting is out of control disease, which is norm now.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, you think college FB or BB is better, IMO wrong! it's still about the money, they just offer free rides instead cash at least what they want us to believe. IMO I bet maybe half of the top free ride players even get degree, but just stepping stone to NFL or NBA. We talk the talk, but can we walk the walk? doubt it will change anything anyway the children we raised expect it. protesting is out of control disease, which is norm now.
Thank you Carl,
And I do believe a protest of withholding support,
that hits tha NFL in the pocketbook can be very effective!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I'M SITTING HERE IN MY POST-MIDNIGHT (NIGHT OWL) PHASE WISHING I FELT LIKE GOING TO BED and realizing that few people will see this post due to the timing, but I feel the need to vent a bit about this "taking a knee to protest during the National Anthem" nonsense.

For all the ABSOLUTE IDIOTS who don't know any better, be advised that the First Amendment to the Constitution ONLY guarantees that the GOVERNMENT cannot punish you for anything you say. That is all of the "Free Speech" you get.

YOUR EMPLOYER has every right to circumscribe your speech at work because your employer has a financial interest in how you are perceived by the public. I served in the U.S. Army, three different law enforcement agencies, and was employed by one commercial business. In NONE of them was I free to say absolutely anything that I chose without the possibility of suffering the consequences from my employer, up to and including being fired.

THAT MEANS that whenever we see these under educated, overpaid, spoiled brat, professional athletes DISRESPECTING OUR FLAG AND OUR COUNTRY by refusing to stand for our National Anthem, they ARE subject to discipline both by their individual team ownership and by the National Football League.
Team owners and the NFL are HIDING behind an erroneous understanding of the First Amendment in their refusal to discipline their EMPLOYEES.

As of now, the NFL is DEAD TO ME. Further, I believe it is time to revoke the NFL's status as a non-profit organization, which we all know is a phony designation since it generates millions of dollars in profits for the people at the top.

You guys just don't get it and likely never will. Since you watch the NFL from your TV set and not from a $150 seat, the NFL probably doesn't care much what you think. The proof of the pudding is in paid admissions.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
You guys just don't get it and likely never will. Since you watch the NFL from your TV set and not from a $150 seat, the NFL probably doesn't care much what you think. The proof of the pudding is in paid admissions.
The real proof is not paid admissions , but TV ratings. As long as those remain high (people watching) and the advertisers are willing to pay $millions for 30 sec .
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
No, we get it, maybe you don't, since the $150 seats don't generate
anywhere near the vast amount of income for the NFL
that the TV advertising revenues do!
So no viewing or buying sponsors products makes good sense!
How would you like a 10,15 or 20% reduction in your income?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'M SITTING HERE IN MY POST-MIDNIGHT (NIGHT OWL) PHASE WISHING I FELT LIKE GOING TO BED and realizing that few people will see this post due to the timing, but I feel the need to vent a bit about this "taking a knee to protest during the National Anthem" nonsense.

For all the ABSOLUTE IDIOTS who don't know any better, be advised that the First Amendment to the Constitution ONLY guarantees that the GOVERNMENT cannot punish you for anything you say. That is all of the "Free Speech" you get.

YOUR EMPLOYER has every right to circumscribe your speech at work because your employer has a financial interest in how you are perceived by the public. I served in the U.S. Army, three different law enforcement agencies, and was employed by one commercial business. In NONE of them was I free to say absolutely anything that I chose without the possibility of suffering the consequences from my employer, up to and including being fired.

THAT MEANS that whenever we see these under educated, overpaid, spoiled brat, professional athletes DISRESPECTING OUR FLAG AND OUR COUNTRY by refusing to stand for our National Anthem, they ARE subject to discipline both by their individual team ownership and by the National Football League.
Team owners and the NFL are HIDING behind an erroneous understanding of the First Amendment in their refusal to discipline their EMPLOYEES.

As of now, the NFL is DEAD TO ME. Further, I believe it is time to revoke the NFL's status as a non-profit organization, which we all know is a phony designation since it generates millions of dollars in profits for the people at the top.

First, thanks for your service.

Add me to the list of people who agree 100% with your post. I am looking at cancelling my NFL package, and I am also now boycotting Nike for their support of the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Actually there are many limitations on speech-- offensive or otherwise.

At a football stadium the the police would come down very hard on you if you yelled "terrorist", "bomb", and or anything like that. That applies to pretty much any where right now. And saying things in front of kids will get you arrested depending what it is. You could get arrested while mailing something if you answer their questions wrong. There are hundreds of situations like depending when, where, and how you say things or write them.
Absolutely correct, but unfortunately some don't just understand......
Old 10-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Default What’s Happening Now.

Quote:

After all the craziness of ‘taking a knee’ we decided not to watch NFL for awhile, but haven’t heard much about how it has affected the sponsors or attendance. So we then decided to tune in last evening to the beginning of the Patriots/Tampa game. Seems they decided not to show the playing of the National Anthem & the ignorance that was getting all the attention. Good call. I was trying to figure out which sponsors I need to boycott. We changed channel after that beginning.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Funny, my father served for 25 years, died three months after getting a medical discharge. My brother served three tours in Nam. Political and social discussions were the norm at our dinner table. Not once did I hear that either served for Old Glory. I have heard they fought for honor, pride, country.

They both stood at attention and saluted our flag with pride. I don't salute, but I stand at attention. So does my daughter. So does my grandson. It is a wonderful symbol of our nation. But that is all it is -- a symbol. It is a symbol of the rights and freedoms our forefathers fought so hard to gain. Freedom to assemble, the right to free speech, the duty to protest, those are the what the flag represents.

Kneeling quietly with head bowed is far more respectful than standing and talking during the national anthem. I've seen more than one athlete scratching his privates during the anthem. I've seen fans standing and chomping on food and guzzling beer during the anthem. And you're calling athletes kneeling and bowing their heads disrespectful???

There are good reasons to boycott football -- both at the college and professional level. Ditto basketball. So long as these sports condone and accept thugs who rape housekeepers, beat wives and girl friends, fire weapons in a public venue, people need to speak up and say this is not acceptable behavior. The Commissioners need to suspend players that behave like thugs. Owners need to bench, suspend and fire the thugs, regardless of the talent. Fans need to speak up and boycott games and advertisers who accept such thugs. But to punish players for peaceful protest? I know that's not what my father and brother fought for. Hopefully, that's true of most active-duty and retired servicemen. I'm sorry that some of you have forgotten that.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down The DUTY to protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

They both stood at attention and saluted our flag with pride. I don't salute, but I stand at attention. So does my daughter. So does my grandson. It is a wonderful symbol of our nation. But that is all it is -- a symbol. It is a symbol of the rights and freedoms our forefathers fought so hard to gain. Freedom to assemble, the right to free speech, the duty to protest, those are the what the flag represents.

Kneeling quietly with head bowed is far more respectful than standing and talking during the national anthem. I've seen more than one athlete scratching his privates during the anthem. I've seen fans standing and chomping on food and guzzling beer during the anthem. And you're calling athletes kneeling and bowing their heads disrespectful???
First, I'm interested in the new obligation that you've identified: The duty to protest. I can't seem to find it in the Constitution.

Second, you can't justify bad behavior by pointing to someone else's bad behavior. It is disrespectful to "take a knee" during the National Anthem, no matter what others may do.

People have the right to disrespect, even to burn, the Flag. They are not immune from the consequences of their actions.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
First, I'm interested in the new obligation that you've identified: The duty to protest. I can't seem to find it in the Constitution.

Second, you can't justify bad behavior by pointing to someone else's bad behavior. It is disrespectful to "take a knee" during the National Anthem, no matter what others may do.

People have the right to disrespect, even to burn, the Flag. They are not immune from the consequences of their actions.

Well, you go right ahead and boycott any products advertised on the channels showing NFL games. As I said before, you are way out of their demographic range but it remains your right to boycott - even though it makes no difference to the advertisers.

Basically, the kneeling will end soon or spectators will just accept as a norm. No big deal either way. Some may see it as disrespect while others see it as free speech and others just don't care.

The NFL is not going away. However, you do whatever you feel is best. Personally, I like pro football and will continue to watch - but will continue to use the mute button on commercials.
Closed Thread

Tags
employer, nfl, national, team, amendment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.