My "UBER" experience

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default My "UBER" experience

I was in Sacramento Ca.for the past weekend and needed a ride to the airport which was about 30 miles away. Someone suggested I try uber ([url][https://www.uber.com/invite/uh6zeue/url]) which is an alternative means of transportation to get around very similar to a taxi. I registered on the site, it knew where I was located and it asked me where I wanted to go. It told me an "uber" was only 8 minutes away and the range of the fare. All I had to do is click reserve car......I did and it came back with a description of the car and a picture of the driver who would pick me up. The ride was at my location in approx. 8 minutes. Car was a 2014, driver was cleanly dressed and we proceeded to my location. There is NO cash or credit card exchanged, when I reserved the car it was charged to my PayPal account on record or a credit card...whatever you choose. At my destination, the driver can pull up the amount charged to your account...and Tipping is not allowed.

This system worked surprising well and I even had a promo code for discount off the first ride. Uber is in most major metro cities or their surrounding areas. Suggest you give it a try. Surprised it has not reached The Villages yet ....it would be very popular.

Oh before drivers are accepted into the Uber system, they need to prove ownership of the car, have certain insurance requirements, and undergo background checks
Old 05-14-2015, 05:38 AM
Sage

I can just picture Über in TV. The driver's photo will have been provided by TV since it will be the same as our ID. Instead of the Internet, you'd reserve a car using TOTV. And you get a discount if you use your LoyalTee card. When the driver arrives the car turns out to be a Yesteryear golf cart. And Gracie is your well mannered and humorous driver.

Boy, Howdy!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I can just picture Über in TV. The driver's photo will have been provided by TV since it will be the same as our ID. Instead of the Internet, you'd reserve a car using TOTV. And you get a discount if you use your LoyalTee card. When the driver arrives the car turns out to be a Yesteryear golf cart. And Gracie is your well mannered and humorous driver.

Boy, Howdy!
Now, that is funny!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:36 AM

I'm glad your experience was positive. For some unfortunate other individuals the Uber experience was not the best. You can Google it and easily find the info. Here is a link to a page about incidents with both Uber and another similar service called Lyft. I would use extreme caution!!

The Comprehensive List of Uber Incidents, Assaults and Accusations - Who's Driving You?
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth52 View Post
I'm glad your experience was positive. For some unfortunate other individuals the Uber experience was not the best. You can Google it and easily find the info. Here is a link to a page about incidents with both Uber and another similar service called Lyft. I would use extreme caution!!

The Comprehensive List of Uber Incidents, Assaults and Accusations - Who's Driving You?
I'm not sure taxis are better or worse...

Are Taxis Safer Than Uber? - The Atlantic
Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post

Boy, Howdy!

And...as you're walking to the Uber car, you step in dog poop.
The driver gets cut off in a circle.
Ubercar is detoured due to the non-Buildout expansion... darn Developer.
Your destination is Katie Belles - forgetting until you open the Uber door.
Just after opening, a snowbird poopdrop hits your head.
Back in, you decide to stop at the gnome store.
But, thinking you had your seat in the Ubermobile - someone had it saved.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I was attending my nephew's graduation in Richmond VA last week, and he and his friends talked about using Uber. It's an established service there; some of the kids even had gift certificates.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
And...as you're walking to the Uber car, you step in dog poop.
The driver gets cut off in a circle.
Ubercar is detoured due to the non-Buildout expansion... darn Developer.
Your destination is Katie Belles - forgetting until you open the Uber door.
Just after opening, a snowbird poopdrop hits your head.
Back in, you decide to stop at the gnome store.
But, thinking you had your seat in the Ubermobile - someone had it saved.
Your expansion adds to the enjoyment I intended. Thanks Dean.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 PM

I have used Uber often in California. Very good experiences.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I feel sorry for the licensed taxi and limo companies who must have state and federal licenses pay for airport rights commercial insurance only to be under cut by online save a buck. Only time before someone is robed or worse then see if the fare save is worth it
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Looking at other blogs there seems to be some question whether all UBER drivers have the neccessary insurance.
It appears from the drivers point of view UBER is a temp agency and you are an independent contractor. From the customer point of view it seems like a viable alternative to a taxi.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Uber has just now come to Fargo,ND...taxi companies very upset
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.