n. korea, sons , daughters

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran member
Default n. korea, sons , daughters

would you let your sons or daughter go to a place like north korea , china,or iran with out you. I know I would never go or let my son go to such a place.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Eternal Member

Parents may disapprove strongly about their son or daughter traveling to such places - but if the child has the money and is an adult, there is nothing we can do.

Otto Warmbier was 22. Very poor decision but he was an adult.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Parents may disapprove strongly about their son or daughter traveling to such places - but if the child has the money and is an adult, there is nothing we can do.

Otto Warmbier was 22. Very poor decision but he was an adult.
THAT is the part that parents can usually control at that age.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Just what is it exactly that You think You could have controlled? The North Korean government? Had You accompanied your child You too may have ended up in jail with the key thrown away! The only viable choice here is to try and talk your children out off making possible life altering mistakes.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The fact that a tour company would entice this age group into North Korea is reprehensible. Kids this age think they're immortal. Sometimes they act without thinking. I hope somehow pressure to stop can be put on the tour companies that run these trips. A travel ban to this country is warranted, IMO. As parents, there's little we can do after the kids reach a certain age and are supporting themselves.

I would not fund a trip like this for my kids or grandkids. They don't know enough.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Curious, why did you include China as a country you would advise against visiting?

The US State Department regularly issues warnings about travel which you can search by country or region. There are NO warnings regarding China

Alerts and Warnings

Here is the warning on North Korea

Here is one for Iran, but it is mostly targeted at Iranian-Americans

There are warnings or alerts for about 40 nations but none regarding China.

My only concern with visiting China would be poor quality air and water from their lax environmental enforcement because the decisions to enforce is often made at the local level by boards controlled by industrialists rather than environmental experts.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would not go. My daughter was working on a Phd and had research she wanted to do in Russia. Her advisor owned a home in Russia and would visit offen. She said it was to dangers to go to Russia so she went to Turkey instead. This was a few years ago. Turkey would not be a viable choice under their new President.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

I picked china for lack of human rights......... just one of many
Old 06-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Curious, why did you include China as a country you would advise against visiting?

The US State Department regularly issues warnings about travel which you can search by country or region. There are NO warnings regarding China

Alerts and Warnings

Here is the warning on North Korea

Here is one for Iran, but it is mostly targeted at Iranian-Americans

There are warnings or alerts for about 40 nations but none regarding China.

My only concern with visiting China would be poor quality air and water from their lax environmental enforcement because the decisions to enforce is often made at the local level by boards controlled by industrialists rather than environmental experts.
My son did extensive travel in China on business and never once had a problem. When he landed in China there would be a Chinese interpreter waiting for him and he would be driven everywhere he needed to go. He did not do business in the city, most of his factories were in the rural areas and he said it is a beautiful country, but he HATED the food ............ it is not westernized Chinese Food, if you order chicken you get the head, the beak and the feet with claws!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Now if Otto had gone with Dennis (Rodman)...picture of rodman hugging kim - Google Search

With regard to young adults venturing away from home: how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm lyrics - Google Search

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-24-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
My son did extensive travel in China on business and never once had a problem. When he landed in China there would be a Chinese interpreter waiting for him and he would be driven everywhere he needed to go. He did not do business in the city, most of his factories were in the rural areas and he said it is a beautiful country, but he HATED the food ............ it is not westernized Chinese Food, if you order chicken you get the head, the beak and the feet with claws!
I've been to China and would have no problem with any family member going there. You really have to step out of line to get into problems. And the food WAS horrible. Worst Mongolian beef I ever had was within 50 miles of Mongolia! That's what they serve at hotels and restaurants catering to tourists, and charge $20 per meal. On the other hand, if you wander into one of the local street markets, the food is fabulous---We got a bowl of stir fried pork that was huge, virtually all meat----fed 8 people, for 40 cents. The vendor wouldn't even take $1 for it---kept saying "too much".
Old 06-25-2017, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I've been to China and would have no problem with any family member going there. You really have to step out of line to get into problems. And the food WAS horrible. Worst Mongolian beef I ever had was within 50 miles of Mongolia! That's what they serve at hotels and restaurants catering to tourists, and charge $20 per meal. On the other hand, if you wander into one of the local street markets, the food is fabulous---We got a bowl of stir fried pork that was huge, virtually all meat----fed 8 people, for 40 cents. The vendor wouldn't even take $1 for it---kept saying "too much".
Coincidentally and just by chance, last night I watched an Anthony Bourdain episode filmed in Shanghai, it was exceptionally interesting. If you did not know they were filming in China you could have thought it was one of the major capital cities in any other country. Personally, I had no idea they were now so advanced. But Bourdain is all about food and he ate off the street vendors and in the restaurants and he thought the food was excellent. When they gave a list of ingredients it was sort of stomach turning, but the Chinese probably think we eat awful food!!!

He had quite a long conversation with a Chinese/American University Professor who has chosen to return to China. Their discussion was about the speed of technology taking over China and what they were going to do with the billions of under-educated Chinese who will never be able to find work and enjoy the new "good life". Many of the people Bourdain spoke to had been educated here in the USA and returned to China. Very interesting ........... Now I want to see China!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
korea, sons, place.spoken, son, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.