Favorite vacation?

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Favorite vacation?

So, of the many vacations you've taken, which is your all-time favorite? What made it so special?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Re: Favorite vacation?

Couple come to mind that were great. Rented a villa in Tuscany that was one of the best times ever. Invited 4 other couples to join and just had a great time. I paid for the villa and invited them just to show up. But yet I don't think I paid for a meal, a bottle of wine, or much of anything else all the time we were there. so it all balanced out and we had a great time. Hired a chef to come one evening and teach us to cook a traditional Tuscan dinner. Took thousands of pictures, and saw lots and lots of great sites.

Two others I have done a few times. Rent a Catamaran in the BVI with 4 state rooms, take 3 couples, a cook and a captain and enjoy. And rent a chalet in Tahoe and ski for a week or more. Favorite place to ski in the world.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Sage

Mine was a trip to Israel, traveling alone in the late 80s. I visited Tel Aviv and Jerusaleum for a day and 5 days in Eilat. I have never been in a country where the people were as kind, generous and friendly. While in Eilat, I was invited to dinner three times by total strangers -- one Israeli, one Arab and one European on an extended vacation there. Had a wonderful experience at each meal.

So, you have a nation that is in constant danger but with an incredible history; some truly interesting scenary; good food (even if they don't have bagels there); and some of the warmest people you will ever meet. It definitely ranks as a place I hope to visit again.

I was going to drive from Eilat to Jerusaleum because I didn't think I'd seen as much as I could have. So, rented a car, got about two miles out of town and turned the car around to go back to Eilat. Now, I've driven London roundabouts, French roundabouts, German autobahn, even Roman roundabouts, but hands down, Israelis are the most terrifying drivers in the world! I'm not talking about roundabouts, but a straight, alleged two-lane main highway with no dividers. They drive in the middle of the road and play chicken ... neither driver wants to give an inch. I was literally shaking when I got back to Eilat.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow ... Tuscany. I'd love to go there someday.

Probably my favorite vacation was backpacking in Europe--quite an experience. I have loved my U.S. travels. There is so much to see here in our own country that is absolutely amazing. Just love out West ... I still haven't made it to Sedona. Sure want to sit in a vortex & communicate with ... well ... what/whoever. *grin* I guess for now, I'll just have to be happy creating my own vortexes to enjoy.

Rebekah
Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM

It's hard to say - Love Canada, especially Newfoundland - traveled from east coast (St Johns)to the west coast (world heritage site)...When we got on the plane to leave (Deer Lake) the pilot announced that they were having mechanical problems but luckily there was a mechanic on board, next thing I see is the mechanic holding a screwdriver looking over the plane. Apparently he fixed it, because we re-boarded and took off about 1.5 late...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

Spent 2 weeks in Tuscany 2 years ago with 4 other couples in a gigantic 5 bedroom villa. It came with a full time cook and a house keeper (a husband and wife team that lived in an apartment over the carrage house)This place had it's own fully stocked wine cellar, billiards room and exercise room. We payed for the wine by the bottle when opened. We had some fantastic Italian meals. No one had to do anything except enjoy the food, wine, day trips and scenery. It was expensive but what a beautiful city, and a very relaxing time, loved it.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Sage

2 weeks of incredible beauty in Jasper British Columbia. went kayaking, white water rafting, hiked the glaciers and 11,000 ft. mountains. Not at all sure we could do those hikes now, like to think we could!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Sage

Sounds like we all need to do a TOTV get together in a Tuscany villa. Really does sound wonderful!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 PM

I guess I am weird but I love to go to Death Vally--in the summer. We go every couple years and stay at Stovepipe Wells. We only stay 2 or 3 days BUT I love the scenery and the quiet.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Sage

Hope, not too weird. Many love to camp there. My best friend needs a Death Valley fix at least once a year. Like you, she needs the quiet there just to survive the rest of the year in the "real world."

Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Veteran member

Ummmm...Tuscany is my dream vacation. 8)

Till now, my fav vacation was a week in Athens (most time was actually spent in Pireaus) Greece and a weeks' cruise of the Greek islands, with a day and one-half also spent in Istanbul, Turkey
Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Sage

Mickey, I'm so jealous. Greece is my dream vacation. Lived all over Europe, even Eastern Bloc countries (when they existed) but never made it to Greece. One day.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Sage

Hi all, my husband and I love to travel so we've been to many of the places mentioned and love them, but my all time favorite vacation was driving with my 80 year old Dad and my husband back to my Dad's hometown of Greenwich Connecticut. We went at Christmas time and took him into New York to for a wonderful carriage ride through Central park, watched the skaters, and touched base in Greenwich with 2 cousins of his that were still alive. So many cute incidents on that trip and my joy was watching my Dad (my best friend) and my husband (my other best friend) interact. My Dad has since passed away, but no other vacation can ever take the place of that one. Whenever I get blue I just take out those pictures and reminisce. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Sage

Chels, a truly beautiful vacation and memory. Thank you for sharing just a little of it with us.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eujaynia
Wow ... Tuscany. I'd love to go there someday.

Probably my favorite vacation was backpacking in Europe--quite an experience. I have loved my U.S. travels. There is so much to see here in our own country that is absolutely amazing. Just love out West ... I still haven't made it to Sedona. Sure want to sit in a vortex & communicate with ... well ... what/whoever. *grin* I guess for now, I'll just have to be happy creating my own vortexes to enjoy.

Rebekah
About 10 years ago I took 30 days away from our business and headed out west.

This trip took me almost a year to prepare with all the stops we were planning. Our first stop was in Phoenix, AZ. where we had a house in DC Ranch a part of Scottsdale close to where the Phoenix Open was played every year. It has a new name now that escapes me. Anyway we rented a 38' RV that late April for 10 days and headed for Sedona, and the Grand Canyon.

It was about 100+ in the shade so going north as planned helped. On our way we climbed up a mountain before getting to Sedona and it was snowing with about 2 foot on the ground. We stopped and shopped for Indian jewelry. Since my wife has some Navajo blood, yes it's true her grandfather on her dads side left/escaped the reservation and married her grandmother. They eventually caught up with him and sent him back devastating her.

Anyway the temp was about 30 with the snow as we went along to Sedona. We stayed at a beautiful (the nicest RV camp I have ever seen) and we stayed a few days. Now that I remember it more it was the same time that that A-hole McVay bombed Oklahoma. Then we moved on to the grand canyon for 3 days, only to find the daytime weather at 27 degrees so we moved our stop at Lake Powell early. The weather was warmer at 60, and we did the Colorado river up to 5 gainers. My pants were so wet they hid my accident.

Moving along we headed for where they were filming "Broken Arrow" and then on back to the canyon stopping for lunch at another Indian reservation. If you want to see beauty in our USA, this trip had it.

The canyon was outstanding. We took a helicopter flight down to Havasu Falls and the Indian reservation. The pilot dropped us off for the day.

This part was the funniest. We met the Indian agent and told him my wife was afraid of horses and got stepped on as a kid, so please provide us with ones that are very calm. Well did he fool us. We got 2 horses that were brothers and didn't at first know it. The ride to the falls was great. Upon arrival after sitting on this horse for over an hour when I got off could not straighten up or close my legs, I walked like I had a turd stuck you no where. Finally after spending a couple hours resting and viewing the falls we headed back. Now the ride out took time the ride back was a click of your fingers. We found out the horses were brothers. It would not allow its brother to get past us. Were talking side hill cliffs. They just kept going and we couldn't slow them down.

I bought a hat that went over the edge that an Indian retrieved later. What we finally discoved was that the horses wanted to get back for food and my horse was the oldest.

Now back to Phoenix return the RV and took our rental car on to Vegas. We were to stay 3 days but heard of Mesquite, NV, and a golf course made by Palmer. I played it and was it ever great. The tees to greens had the nicest views. We then headed to Bryce Canyaon and on to Zion National park only to find out they had a huge rockslide and closed it.

We then headed to Salt Lake the Mormon Choir and then on to Yellowstone. We stayed at Jackson Hole and after visiting the park got sick the next day for the whole weekend. I woke up Monday night after crashing on Friday night. We were to play the Palmer course and do snake river. I never got there. I did get to see all the deer and elk horns in downtown Jackson Hole.

Finally we went on to Denver, Colorado Springs, Manitu Springs, the garden of the gods and many more sites in the area.

All in all it was great. We cut the tour short by 2 days and went home early. Sorry for this being so lenghtly but I hade tons to say and left out tons. Especially the time while in the RV on I-10 in Kingston, AZ. getting stopped by the FBI in 4 cars and 2 State Police cars looking for McVay.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.