National news lead stories???

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,205 Times in 907 Posts
Default National news lead stories???

Did you ever wonder how the media really decides what to put in front of us each night?

I do.

For example, it is winter and the lead story each evening for many weeks and months more often than not is the weather. We are inundated by the local stations several times a day. Do we really need a detailed snow pile by snow pile report by city what winter looks like? No!!!
Many of us grew up with this kind of winter weather.

Anyway after 10 minutes of weather redundancy then what?

Time for what is going on in the world that may be of interest? Usually not till later in the broadcast. And if it is a political hot potatoe subject or one the "WH" does not like, it does not get air time at all.

The news as reported by the old fashioned news readers of the day is about as obsolute as yesterdays news.

Truthfully now, just how much of what is read to us each day is trully news?

For someone who is modestly connected....the answer is none. I watch just to see how the controversy of the day is handles. And it is usually NOT?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,019 Times in 310 Posts

BTK, for once I agree with you. I don't care about 70" of snow in Boston or a couple of inches of rain in SoCal; I'm sure we'll get pushback from people from the northeast that still live there or have relatives there.

My pet peeve is the teaser's that the newscasters come on and tease us with newsworthy material and then say "more on this later in the broadcast", why can't they tell us at that moment?
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Ask me about weather .. we have house guests from Ohio and they watch the weather channel continually - I can see their point , but once you see a snow drift you have seen em all !!! I "ll take a view of the square anyday !!
By The Way --- what is the weather channel gonna do once they run out of alphabet to name the winter storms.. I think we are up to "Q" now..
Old 02-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,205 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Ask me about weather .. we have house guests from Ohio and they watch the weather channel continually - I can see their point , but once you see a snow drift you have seen em all !!! I "ll take a view of the square anyday !!
By The Way --- what is the weather channel gonna do once they run out of alphabet to name the winter storms.. I think we are up to "Q" now..
They use the alphabet because they can't count higher than 26
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage

I take any news cast with a grain of salt. And yes...I'm tired of the weather being the lead story. It is important of course and impacts a large portion of our population, but it shouldn't be the lead story for weeks in a row.

Overall, I think there are news casts that get to most of the main stories of the day. After all, it is a bit subjective no matter what your politics might me. My main issue with most of them is the priority given these stories...largely the order on the broadcast and the amount of time devoted to each one.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage

My wife retires this coming Friday ; I don't think she is going to worry about weather now unless it impacts The Villages.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.

Last edited by kcrazorbackfan; 03-11-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post

My pet peeve is the teaser's that the newscasters come on and tease us with newsworthy material and then say "more on this later in the broadcast", why can't they tell us at that moment?
Boy, I agree with that. Did anyone notice a week ago or so, one of the Orlando stations announced they had uncovered a fix for the problem patients were having getting pain meds filled at local pharmacies. They said details would be broadcast the next day! So stay in pain a bit longer so we can make sure you tune in tomorrow noon, or dinner, or late night. Ratings apparently trump public service.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Unfortunately most of what is reported come from the same sources and by time they get to you they have been misinterpreted, watered down, historically changed and presented by plastic people who read from a teleprompter.

Even more damaging a celebrity or a celebrity whose celebrity is building celebrity gain as much time as a story of critical importance to the nation.

for example, it causes me much discomfort to see news broadcast waste valuable news time detailing the likes of Kanyae West (sp). This misfortunate creature needs attention but not from the news channels.

Succinctly stated news broadcast are long on tabloid stuff and short on critical analysis and quality
Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Unfortunately most of what is reported come from the same sources and by time they get to you they have been misinterpreted, watered down, historically changed and presented by plastic people who read from a teleprompter.

Even more damaging a celebrity or a celebrity whose celebrity is building celebrity gain as much time as a story of critical importance to the nation.

for example, it causes me much discomfort to see news broadcast waste valuable news time detailing the likes of Kanyae West (sp). This misfortunate creature needs attention but not from the news channels.

Succinctly stated news broadcast are long on tabloid stuff and short on critical analysis and quality

I totally agree; and in regards to KW and that big a**ed wife of his, they are two pathetic creatures.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.