Natural gas stoves cause asthma

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2023, 10:07 AM
Default Natural gas stoves cause asthma

Who knew? 🤔 Could be banned in 2023 by Consumer Product Safety Commission. IMO, it’s the smoke that is reflected in mirrors that causes the most harm.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:17 AM

What's next Gas Dryers...
Old 01-04-2023, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

Another example of too much government. Ridiculous
Old 01-05-2023, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default bad air causes asthma to surface...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Who knew? 🤔 Could be banned in 2023 by Consumer Product Safety Commission. IMO, it’s the smoke that is reflected in mirrors that causes the most harm.
why don't you and your opinion post a link? or is this more B.S.?
Old 01-05-2023, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
why don't you and your opinion post a link? or is this more B.S.?
It's for real...

Access Denied
Old 01-05-2023, 11:43 PM
Veteran member

This was found in studies where some people were oblivious to the fact that you need to operate a vent fan at all times while using an indoor gas cooking appliance. Some people in the studies were even operating a gas range with no hood fan installed in their home, which is illegal. If you run your hood fan before you use your stove and let it run a little after, the asthma rates suddenly drop to close to zero.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Maybe "Misuse of Natural Gas appliances could cause asthma" would have been a better heading?
Old 01-06-2023, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Maybe "Misuse of Natural Gas appliances could cause asthma" would have been a better heading?
Bee-eye-en-gee-oh!

Old 01-06-2023, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

When I use our natural gas appliances I always put on my foil hat. I heard this helps.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Did any of you who are so angry at the consumer protection agency gathering information, did any of you read the studies linking gas stoves with increase childhood asthma and lifetime asthma risk? Did any of you read the science? Do you think the Consumer Protection Agency should actually be involved in trying to protect consumers? Or is it all on the user to be up to date on how lead in the water or N02 in the air can impact children?
Old 01-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Did any of you who are so angry at the consumer protection agency gathering information, did any of you read the studies linking gas stoves with increase childhood asthma and lifetime asthma risk? Did any of you read the science? Do you think the Consumer Protection Agency should actually be involved in trying to protect consumers? Or is it all on the user to be up to date on how lead in the water or N02 in the air can impact children?
The commissioner going directly to banning gas stoves is over the top.

Requiring correct ventilation, as with gas furnaces, would mitigate the risk.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
These studies are good, and the CPA has it's place.

The issue here is that they shouldn't ban something that can be safely operated by an average person. A few jurisdictions still don't require venting to the outdoors, maybe they should start with making that part mandatory, kind of how seatbelts are required on cars.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
The commissioner going directly to banning gas stoves is over the top.

Requiring correct ventilation, as with gas furnaces, would mitigate the risk.
As clearly reported in the link, the commissioner is NOT going directly to banning gas stoves. Maybe read the story. It is one possibility if, and only if, the data requires such a move. I have read some of the meta analysis and some of the 80 references in that analysis. The conclusion that gas stoves are linked to increased respiratory illness is very strong. Older homes with older stoves are a higher risk. Ventilation makes a difference.
All that is being done here, despite the hang wringing and anti government blah blah blah above, is that the Consumer Protection Agency is going to look into the problem. Period. Their options are anything from doing nothing to banning gas stoves.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
These studies are good, and the CPA has it's place.

The issue here is that they shouldn't ban something that can be safely operated by an average person. A few jurisdictions still don't require venting to the outdoors, maybe they should start with making that part mandatory, kind of how seatbelts are required on cars.
You are more than welcome to make that suggestion as this agency always has a public comment option available.

Here is a recall just issued for carbon monoxide risk for one brand of gas stoves sold at Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy
ZLINE Recalls Gas Ranges Due to Serious Risk of Injury or Death from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | CPSC.gov
Old 01-06-2023, 08:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Natural Gas Stoves cause Asthma

Natural gas stoves could be banned in 2023 by Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Next step?

Allergy-induced asthma, triggered by airborne substances, such as pollen, mold spores, cockroach waste, or particles of skin and dried saliva shed by pets (pet dander)

What's next, ban Mold, Trees, Cockroaches, and Pets?

This Commission controls products such a Suntan Products and it has been found after years of study that some people still get sunburn and cancer. Next step, ban the sun?
Closed Thread

Tags
natural, safety, mirrors, reflected, smoke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.