Need advice on car sales

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Question Need advice on car sales

We are a two car/one cart family looking to become a two cart/one car family. But we have never sold a car before; usually we drive them into the ground then take what pittance the dealer offers for the trade in. Now we have a 2010 Nissan Versa with 35000 miles to sell. Have any of you had experience with the online services? Someone suggested using craig's list. . .any experience with that.

With respect to selling price, I looked at the Kelly Blue Book prices for a private sale, would that be a good guideline?

Those of you who BUY cars from individuals. . .what do you look for? I'll get the car detailed (dog hairs begone) but what else?

Note, movement on this project is spurred because the car needs new tires.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
We are a two car/one cart family looking to become a two cart/one car family. But we have never sold a car before; usually we drive them into the ground then take what pittance the dealer offers for the trade in. Now we have a 2010 Nissan Versa with 35000 miles to sell. Have any of you had experience with the online services? Someone suggested using craig's list. . .any experience with that.

With respect to selling price, I looked at the Kelly Blue Book prices for a private sale, would that be a good guideline?

Those of you who BUY cars from individuals. . .what do you look for? I'll get the car detailed (dog hairs begone) but what else?

Note, movement on this project is spurred because the car needs new tires.
Thanks in advance.
First, you will need to deduct for the bad tires. Without seeing your car, difficult to advise but getting it detailed is a very good idea. Assuming no "big dings" the Blue Book is a good place to start. Of course, put it (with pictures) on TOTV. I would also advertise it in the Daily Sun. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage

As justjim suggested, get it detailed - that will help get it sold. Regarding the vehicle needing tires: You could call around to various places to see what a new set of entry-level tires would cost installed for the vehicle. You might not recoup all of the cost when it sells but it will certainly help in the marketing of it. One less thing for a potential buyer to grouse about.

An item to consider if you do elect to go the DIY route - - - consider what stance you'd want to take regarding taking any kind of check from a buyer. Some will insist that a cashier/bank check is as good as gold. Those can be forged/created fraudulently - I have a friend that got burned on one in the past and he comes from a branch banking background. Personally, I don't take checks any more for anything we sell.

One other complication is if you have a lien on the vehicle (you owe money/have a loan) and/or if the buyer needs to get a loan in order to purchase. It's certainly workable but it does add to the complexity of the transaction.

Lastly, if you don't want to fuss with selling the vehicle yourself, you can always just drive to several dealerships and ask what they'd give you for it on an outright buy. You'll only get wholesale value for it, however - but it does take a lot of the hassle out of selling a car yourself.

Not trying to "rain on your parade" or anything - just trying to point out a couple of things to think about.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Sage

Many people on another board speak highly of CarMax for selling a car. You take your car in and get a check. Reportedly, they got better prices there than trading it in.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran member

Used Car Max to sell my last car. Got $8500 more than using it for a trade. Drove in, got estimate that is good for 7 days. Went back 3 days later and within 30 minutes I had a bank draft and they had a great car!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 AM

mac9--did you do anything special to the car before you took it to Car Max, i.e., detaiing, special spiffing?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Our older son sold our younger son's car for him on Craig's List. YS is in Australia, we were in Pittsburgh, OS & car were in MI. When it came time to close the deal, we learned we needed a release of lien letter, which he no longer had (long story). Had to call the lender and get a second letter. Amazingly, they could do this even though the car had been paid off for four years.

Make sure you have that letter before you even start. While we were waiting for the letter to arrive, first buyer changed his mind. Second buyer paid $250 less than the first would have.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM

CarMax is a good idea. No hassle, quick and easy.
My son-in-law has sold 2 cars to them recently. Delt with the one in Orlando near airport.
Check NADA used car prices, that seems to be more inline with values in my opinion.
Good luck.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Be sure to offer any prospective buyer a test drive.

Pepsi MAX & Jeff Gordon Present: "Test Drive" - YouTube
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Many people on another board speak highly of CarMax for selling a car. You take your car in and get a check. Reportedly, they got better prices there than trading it in.
I agree. We had a car that we wanted to get rid of. We decieded we didn't need two. After checking blue book, etc and being honest on the condition of the car I had a price in mind. I drove the care to Carmax in Sanford and they gave exactly what I had hoped for.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.