Need advice for wiring a light to a battery

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2022, 08:01 PM
Default Need advice for wiring a light to a battery

Working on an art project. I want to back it with 12" X 12:" led light. . .and I have found some online but they are intended for installation into ceiling. So, is there a way I can wire the light to a battery and switch on the box containing the art? Hate to order a light and then not be able to do so. I can choose a recessed 12" X 12" ceiling light [imagine it has wires to connect to electrical wires). . .or a LED Panel with 12VDC Adapter.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemmett608 View Post
Working on an art project. I want to back it with 12" X 12:" led light. . .and I have found some online but they are intended for installation into ceiling. So, is there a way I can wire the light to a battery and switch on the box containing the art? Hate to order a light and then not be able to do so. I can choose a recessed 12" X 12" ceiling light [imagine it has wires to connect to electrical wires). . .or a LED Panel with 12VDC Adapter.
You cannot run a 110 volt light ( house hold voltage / ceiling light as you noted) from a battery.
Most every modern car, motorcycle, golf cart that utilize a battery in the system, are 12 volt.
To get to 110 volt, you'd need an entire battery bank ( think multiple large batteries in series).
My suggestion, without knowing 'exactly' what it is you are working on, is either
A: run it all off of house hold current and a common in-line lamp switch, and for go the battery option.
or
B: move everything (lights and all) over to 12volt system, such can be found among automotive, RV , golf cart, car, similar.
Then you could power it via a small motorcycle battery, between rechargings.
LaF
Old 12-08-2022, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemmett608 View Post
Yes, but it will be very expensive and heavy (large battery, and inverter), I have the background to probably build you the 12 VDC back light that you want, I even have strip and individual LEDs in stock. Let me know if you are interested, I do not post direct contact info on open forums, so use a private message to contact me.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Google battery operated led spotlight. Lots of options available that don’t require any wiring, and some even have a remote control. Easy peasy.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Google battery operated led spotlight. Lots of options available that don’t require any wiring, and some even have a remote control. Easy peasy.
This,If there’s a use for it the Chinese
build it.🤔😎
Old 12-10-2022, 09:16 AM

Another simple solution … go to Amazon and search “led light strip with remote”

This will return hundreds of solutions for $15 to $25 that includes LED’s, power supply, and remote that will work well together.

I bought a cheap one for Christmas lighting 3 years ago and it works fine .. the remote allows you to adjust the lights (always on, blinking slow, blinking fast, etc)

Not all LED strips are 12 volt DC. Some are 24.

The Marion Market also has a couple of vendors with a very large selection of LED’s and LED supplies. I am certain they can provide you with a solution that works for your project.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

RV ceiling lights are 12v so maybe another option.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Yes, but it will be very expensive and heavy (large battery, and inverter), I have the background to probably build you the 12 VDC back light that you want, I even have strip and individual LEDs in stock. Let me know if you are interested, I do not post direct contact info on open forums, so use a private message to contact me.
You are always helpful and give good advice.
Closed Thread

Tags
light, wires, ceiling, led, art

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.