Farm Bureau Insurance Warning

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Default Farm Bureau Insurance Warning

I've been insured by Farm Bureau in N.C. since the 1970s including multiple homes and vehicles. Never filed a claim.

So I moved here in December and put my N.C. home up for sale.

Farm Bureau is now cancelling my homeowners policy because "We prefer not to provide coverage on vacant or unoccupied property."

Thanks for nothing, Farm Bureau. I am so glad I went with other insurance here in Florida.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
I've been insured by Farm Bureau in N.C. since the 1970s including multiple homes and vehicles. Never filed a claim.

Farm Bureau is now cancelling my homeowners policy because "We prefer not to provide coverage on vacant or unoccupied property."

Thanks for nothing, Farm Bureau. I am so glad I went with other insurance here in Florida.
When we put our house on the market up north we had already moved out and were living in our winter place near Tampa. We had to cancel our homeowners policy with Met Life and purchase a policy that covered an unoccupied dwelling. Had we not done so and the house was vandalized the claim would have been denied, as our Met Life policy was based on the house being our residence (i.e. that we were living in it).

If you are interested, I can dig up the information on the company we purchased the temp policy from.

k.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
When we put our house on the market up north we had already moved out and were living in our winter place near Tampa. We had to cancel our homeowners policy with Met Life and purchase a policy that covered an unoccupied dwelling. Had we not done so and the house was vandalized the claim would have been denied, as our Met Life policy was based on the house being our residence (i.e. that we were living in it).

If you are interested, I can dig up the information on the company we purchased the temp policy from.

k.
Thanks, k. I've got until November to either sell the house or find alternative insurance, but I'm bookmarking your post just in case.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
Very common. I ran into the same problem with the underwriter of my parents' house when they moved to assisted living.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Gold member

So how about snowbirds? The homes can unoccupied for 6-9 months at times. Are you under any obligation to notify your carrier that you’re a snowbird or that your 2nd home is for sale? If not you could just be a snowbird selling your second residence.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
So how about snowbirds? The homes can unoccupied for 6-9 months at times. Are you under any obligation to notify your carrier that you’re a snowbird or that your 2nd home is for sale? If not you could just be a snowbird selling your second residence.
People have been known to talk themselves right into trouble......just sayin.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
farm, bureau, n.c, insurance, provide

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.