Need help fixing handyman's work w/light fixture!

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2019, 05:49 PM
KittyKat
Exclamation Need help fixing handyman's work w/light fixture!

Please help me fix this guy's mess. I didn't realize how bad it looked until after he left. I bought this from someone on TOTV.They must have had a volume ceiling. It needs to be higher. I don't have a table there so it was hard to judge. Can't the chain & wires be cut to size? I'm moving on the 12th so need this done this week(can't do Tues). I'll pay $20. Send me a pm.

P.S. I'm trying to remember what I heard on an HGTV program about how far above the table the bottom of the light fixture should be.
If you know please post or can others post the height of theirs? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0413 (800x600).jpg
Views:	372
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	80384   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0414 (600x800).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	80385   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0415 (800x586).jpg
Views:	311
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	80386   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0416 (800x600).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	80387  

Last edited by KittyKat; 08-04-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

I had always heard "34 to 37 inches" but I just found this online:

8′ ceiling: 32 -36″ between the top of your table and the bottom of your fixture
9′ ceiling: 36″-40″ between the top of your table and the bottom of your fixture
10′ ceiling: 40″-44″ between the top of your table and the bottom of your fixture

Yes, links should be removed, if necessary, to make it the appropriate height. I have never seen anyone do what your handyman did. Oy!! Fortunately, it is an easy fix for a decent handyman.

Good luck.

kathy
Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Those pictures show someone who is lazy and takes no pride in their work. Shameful..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Please help me fix this guy's mess. I didn't realize how bad it looked until after he left. I bought this from someone on TOTV.They must have had a volume ceiling. It needs to be higher. I don't have a table there so it was hard to judge. Can't the chain & wires be cut to size? I'm moving on the 12th so need this done this week(can't do Tues). I'll pay $20. Send me a pm.

P.S. I'm trying to remember what I heard on an HGTV program about how far above the table the bottom of the light fixture should be.
If you know please post or can others post the height of theirs? Thanks!
Yes, the chain can be cut to length, in most cases, all you need is a pair or 2 of pliers, open a link, remove excess chain, reinstall on loop at ceiling and press closed. The lamp will need to be either removed from the ceiling, or at the end of the chain to shorten the wire. I have done this many times.
Now if no one else offers to help, I may be able to help, but i just started a large project at my own home, so let me know if no one else replies.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 PM
fw102807

It looks like he just tied it up until you decided what length you wanted it to be.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:18 PM
KittyKat
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I had always heard "34 to 37 inches" but I just found this online:

8′ ceiling: 32 -36″ between the top of your table and the bottom of your fixture
9′ ceiling: 36″-40″ between the top of your table and the bottom of your fixture
10′ ceiling: 40″-44″ between the top of your table and the bottom of your fixture

Yes, links should be removed, if necessary, to make it the appropriate height. I have never seen anyone do what your handyman did. Oy!! Fortunately, it is an easy fix for a decent handyman.

Good luck.

kathy
Thanks, Kathy. Now I can measure the height of my little drop-leaf table in the kitchen & add 34".
Old 08-04-2019, 10:30 PM
KittyKat
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Those pictures show someone who is lazy and takes no pride in their work. Shameful..
He was 78 years old & very slow. I thought he was going to fall off MY ladder! Took him from 12:15-4pm to remove my remote-controlled fan with light that I am taking with me and install a plain new fan! I had to leave for a hair appt & he had to come back the next day to put this fixture up. He used to teach SHOP for middle-schoolers, I think, and then he taught at a Tech school!
He was recommended here twice!
Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 PM
KittyKat
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Yes, the chain can be cut to length, in most cases, all you need is a pair or 2 of pliers, open a link, remove excess chain, reinstall on loop at ceiling and press closed. The lamp will need to be either removed from the ceiling, or at the end of the chain to shorten the wire. I have done this many times.
Now if no one else offers to help, I may be able to help, but i just started a large project at my own home, so let me know if no one else replies.
I never even thought about opening the link--I was focused on the big blob in the middle. I can't get in touch with David, my usual great handyman--I must have said something wrong on one of my many messages to him--so I will take you up on your kind offer if no one offers. It's times like these I miss my Dad. Thanks, Tinker.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 AM

I can make this very simple for you regarding the height of a light fixture over a dining room table.

Standard dining tables are 29'-30" high.
The bottom of your fixture should be 30" above the tabletop or 60" from the floor to the bottom of the light fixture.

Unless you have an overly large or small light fixture, the above measurements are the general and standard rule-of-thumb for the height.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:28 PM
KittyKat
Thumbs up

Thanks, Cowgirl. I see you are a night owl too.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
He was 78 years old & very slow. I thought he was going to fall off MY ladder! Took him from 12:15-4pm to remove my remote-controlled fan with light that I am taking with me and install a plain new fan! I had to leave for a hair appt & he had to come back the next day to put this fixture up. He used to teach SHOP for middle-schoolers, I think, and then he taught at a Tech school!
He was recommended here twice!
I just can't imagine hiring a 78yo "handyman", and letting him climb a ladder in my house. Hire a professional and spend the extra money to get the job done right. Either that, or spend the money on a lawyer when the old fool sues you, cause he fell off the ladder, and can't enjoy the pleasure of his wife's company.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM
KittyKat

He was recommended by 2 people here. I didn't know he was that old until he showed up & we got to talking. I was surprised that he didn't have his own ladder and he said he just has an SUV (not a truck? or box trailer?). Then he asked for a flashlight (I gave him a small LED one that I had just bought) and I wondered what had I gotten myself into.

His wife is dead.
Closed Thread

Tags
table, fixture, post, remember, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.