Neighbor plants on your property

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Report them immediately - they can't do that on your property and it says a lot about what a creep said neighbor really is that he would do such a thing. Make him take it all out and fix it at his expense.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
My neighbor, whom I never met, planted a tree partially on my property and disconnected his water nozzle (from his irrigation system) and connected my irrigation system to that nozzle that is watering his tree.
He is now selling his house and is not living there.
What would you do?
Is there a local (the Villages) agency or community complaint center that would handle this?
Thank you. Westy
Contact the Villages offices they are helpful and will advise you. My opinion, you will be better off doing it now. Thus, assuming there is ill will it will be with the neighbor that is leaving rather than with the new neighbor.

I sounds like a good thing. You are getting rid of a neighbor that you will be better of without.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, but how would he be able to connect to the neighbor's sprinkler system? There's a house wall and a garden wall running all along that strip.
That area is connected to his sprinkler system.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:49 AM

Even so, he doesn't have the right to connect YOUR water to HIS tree!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaAnn View Post
Even so, he doesn't have the right to connect YOUR water to HIS tree!
Possible he didnt realize that was happening
Old 04-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would disconnect your sprinkler system from your neighbor's nozzle. No permission needed to do that. For the tree, I would send a letter asking him to remove the tree from your property. And, if there is a real estate agent, I would also send them a letter. You also need to verify that the neighbor doesn't have an easement in your deed restriction document that allows them to plant things on your property.
Excellent advice, sure hope you follow it. Had similar in our family with relatives in S.S. area of villages. You do NOT want to let this "slide", take care of it now while you have an opportunity. Also correct that you need NO permission to change sprinkler part so neighbor is not able to run his/her water through your meter, but DO check, could have an easement to have the tree, but water needs to be changed (yesterday !) not legal to tap into neighbor's water.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Another option, perhaps, is to bring it up with the seller's realty agent, and ask them to communicate with the property owner your concern.

If the property owner's response is either a) none at all or b) refusal to do anything about it then...

present him with a deed option to take legal possession of that strip of property, including the tree and sprinkler, so that as of that moment, it will be YOUR property and not his.

This type of situation actually happened to us in our last house in Connecticut. A low-income senior housing apartment complex went up behind our house, and the road leading off the main street to that complex cut between my property and the next door neighbor's property.

Everything was hunky dory for years before we moved in. And then, one day, we got a notice from HUD Housing demanding a quit-claim on the 100-foot long, 1.5-foot wide strip of land that was part of their sidewalk. Turns out their surveyor screwed up by a degree or two.

We ended up selling HUD that strip of land for around $4000, and that in turn obligated them to maintain the sidewalk and the frontage of our driveway in perpetuity. We no longer owned it, but we had the right-of-way on it.

It was a good deal.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:27 PM

I can tell you this could be a big problem for closing trying to sell his house. Our fence was 3 inches over the line in the neighbors property. We took down the fence to sell the house!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:14 AM
Default thank you

Quote:
thank you---will call them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I would call community standards 352-751-3912 and ask them the question. The notification to the realtor sounds like an excellent idea so future buyers are aware there may be a problem. Good luck.
VILLAGETINKER: thank you, called Community Standards and they sent an inspector out, who reviewed the situation, informed me I was correct as far as the wrongful planting (there is a 3' rule from property line). They will call owner and let them know plant must be removed or moved and that they should have filed an application for planting and landscape around tree.
Thanks,
Westy
Old 07-09-2021, 03:48 PM
Red face

Quote:
My neighbor, whom I never met, planted a tree partially on my property and disconnected his water nozzle (from his irrigation system) and connected my irrigation system to that nozzle that is watering his tree.
He is now selling his house and is not living there.
What would you do?
Is there a local (the Villages) agency or community complaint center that would handle this?
Thank you. Westy
Get that side of your yard surveyed, so its the True Lot Line. Also, get a record of YOUR sprinkler system on that side. this way, you BOTH will have the correct information and no one is guessing. Also, unless they changed the rules, a few years back, I was told, when landscaping, you had to be 2' in back of Your Lot Line, ... Legally, he needed to get approval from The Villages, for THE PLANTING OF THAT TREE AND CHANGING THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM...he may not of done that. Either way, you both will have the correct information, and it won't be here say. It sounds like miss information from the beginning.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe View Post
Get that side of your yard surveyed, so its the True Lot Line. Also, get a record of YOUR sprinkler system on that side. this way, you BOTH will have the correct information and no one is guessing. Also, unless they changed the rules, a few years back, I was told, when landscaping, you had to be 2' in back of Your Lot Line, ... Legally, he needed to get approval from The Villages, for THE PLANTING OF THAT TREE AND CHANGING THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM...he may not of done that. Either way, you both will have the correct information, and it won't be here say. It sounds like miss information from the beginning.
My bet is since it has been 3 months it is resolved.............

Tags
system, irrigation, nozzle, neighbor, tree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.