Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Sage
Default Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Total insanity in our world today.....a cautionary tale, lest we keep letting them into our country....

Between beheadings, burning people alive, raping girls, these terrorists are totally INSANE......using Sharia Law as an excuse to kill.....

""The terrorists of the Islamist faith want to impose a stricter form of SHARIA LAW across Nigeria's Muslim North and mostly Christian South....""

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/09/africa/boko-haram-violence/index.html

Two days ago; Boko Haram kill up to 2,000 in Nigeria (vs. the 17 in Paris).
Plus 30,000 displaced (homeless).....

CNN's Faith Karimi wrote and reported from Atlanta, and Aminu Abubakar reported from Kano. CNN's Steve Almasy and Ngala Killian Chimtom contributed to this report.

Boko Haram has terrorized northern Nigeria regularly since 2009, attacking police, schools, churches and civilians, and bombing government buildings. It has also kidnapped students, including more than 200 schoolgirls who were abducted in April and remain missing.

The Islamist group has said its aim is to impose a stricter form of Sharia law across Nigeria, which is split between a majority Muslim north and a mostly Christian south.

The United States condemned the attacks, saying the group "shows no regard" for human life.

"All those responsible for these recurring terrorist attacks must be held accountable," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Witness: Boko Haram sacks entire town

Deaths number in the hundreds, one official says; another says it is 2,000

After the attack, Boko Haram also razed homes

Kano, Nigeria (CNN)Boko Haram militants opened fire on northern Nigerian villages, leaving bodies scattered everywhere and as many as 2,000 people feared dead.

"The attack on Baga and surrounding towns looks as if it could be Boko Haram's deadliest act," Amnesty International said in a statement.

Islamist militants sprayed bullets as they stormed in last weekend in trucks and armored vehicles, local authorities said Friday.

When they arrived, they unloaded motorcycles and pursued residents who fled into the bush, firing indiscriminately, said Baba Abba Hassan, a local district head.

Local officials reported death tolls ranging from hundreds to as many as 2,000 people.

"Dead bodies litter the bushes in the area and it is still not safe to go and pick them (up) for burial," said Musa Bukar, the chairman of the local government where Baga is located.

"Some people who hid in their homes were burned alive."
Raid lasted for days

During the raid that started January 3, hundreds of gunmen seized the town of Baga and neighboring villages, as well as a multinational military base.

Attacks started at dawn and continued throughout last weekend, according to residents.

Though local officials gave conflicting death tolls, they agreed on the massive number of fatalities.

More than 2,000 people were killed in attacks on 16 villages, Bukar said. He could not explain how he arrived at that toll.
But the local district head said hundreds of people had been killed, not thousands.

The actual toll will be known after a headcount of households is complete, Hassan said.

An offensive is underway to reclaim the areas from the militants, according to Mike Omeri, a government spokesman.
Tens of thousands displaced

At least 30,000 people were displaced, authorities said. About 20,000 of the displaced camped in Maiduguri city, the capital of Borno state.

Authorities are making arrangements to transport the 10,000 others from Monguno town, 60 kilometers (36 miles) from Baga. Some residents fled into neighboring Cameroon and Chad.

"If reports that the town was largely razed to the ground and that hundreds or even as many as 2,000 civilians were killed are true, this marks a disturbing and bloody escalation of Boko Haram's ongoing onslaught against the civilian population," Amnesty International's Daniel Eyre said.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am going back to bed. Let me know what happens.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-12-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Eternal Member

The OP posts a horrific account of some attacks in a remote part of Africa that most Americans know nothing about.

She entitles the post with a title suggesting that the US should intervene. The USA is not the world policeman and should not be involved with regional conflicts. Do not go looking for trouble.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

When one starts quoting Baba Abba Hassan it's time to tighten up one's posts.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Platinum member

This has been going on for centuries. I don't condone it, but it's not just some new development.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
This has been going on for centuries. I don't condone it, but it's not just some new development.
It really is much ado about nothing, and by nothing I am not referring to the lives lost.

Our country and the world ignored the slaughter of CHILDREN in the streets in Syria, so this is not a surprise.

My problem is our rhetoric...during the killing of children in Syria we were talking holier than thou and almost refused to even acknowledge it was happening. Now it appears, we are fighting along side the killers in Syria to confront ISIL.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I am still waiting for an update report on our commitment recently to dismantle and destroy ISIS.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

PLEASE don't talk about the crusades. This is the world today. Those people are gone. We are well informed and open minded and we can say whatever we want. A poster this morning wondered why churches weren't taxed. This threat is a new one. I HATE it when people change the subject or minimize something so horrible. I was aware of the children in Syria. I think the problem is going to get really bigger than it has been. I am a woman, a mother, a grandmother. I remember the wars and I hate war but we can't just sit on our hands and act like this isn't happening.

AND... We could have sent someone with more stature than the French ambassador to the March.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
PLEASE don't talk about the crusades. This is the world today. Those people are gone. We are well informed and open minded and we can say whatever we want. A poster this morning wondered why churches weren't taxed. This threat is a new one. I HATE it when people change the subject or minimize something so horrible. I was aware of the children in Syria. I think the problem is going to get really bigger than it has been. I am a woman, a mother, a grandmother. I remember the wars and I hate war but we can't just sit on our hands and act like this isn't happening.

AND... We could have sent someone with more stature than the French ambassador to the March.
GG, since the subject was about the slaughter in Nigeria do you think that perhaps your last sentence was a change of subject? Don't you just hate that? [emoji6]
Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Often, Gracie, you are my breath of fresh air!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
That's the best line of the day.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Yes, this slaughter in Nigeria, the terrorist attack in Paris, ISIS atrocities in Syria, Iraq, and elsewhere, a blogger in Saudi Arabia sentenced to 1000 lashes and 40 years prison time for disrespecting Allah.....? These are all completely unrelated and isolated events, right?
Yep, they are. Let's go back to bed, or place our heads back in the sand .... whatever is more convenient. Nothing to be concerned about.
Sharia law? It can't happen here. This is America.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Sage
Default Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Yes, this slaughter in Nigeria, the terrorist attack in Paris, ISIS atrocities in Syria, Iraq, and elsewhere, a blogger in Saudi Arabia sentenced to 1000 lashes and 40 years prison time for disrespecting Allah.....? These are all completely unrelated and isolated events, right?

Yep, they are. Let's go back to bed, or place our heads back in the sand .... whatever is more convenient. Nothing to be concerned about.

Sharia law? It can't happen here. This is America.

There are court cases in a number of states, including FL, where arguments for the use of shariah law have been made.

http://shariahinamericancourts.com

Last year the City Council in Dearborn MI voted to accept the use of shariah law when a case involved certain issues.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Gold member

The thread title maybe should have read, "Where are the gentle, peace-loving muslims?"

But then, there would have been few or no replies except:

crickets

crickets

crickets……
Old 01-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage

it is important for the most powerful country in the world to be seen as actively doing something about these atrocities. without sending troops yet, we could do much by withdrawing aid and placing sanctions on countries who are not aggressively fighting these radical groups in their own countries. if we keep fiddling, the result will be no different from nero's.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.