New car Documentation fee.

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Default New car Documentation fee.

Which car dealers do not charge a documentation fee. This is just another rip off.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Which car dealers do not charge a documentation fee. This is just another rip off.

Mazda in Orlando for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

None of them will charge it if you just refuse to pay it. This also applies to worthless dealer installed options. The best way to buy a new car is to do your homework online and know what the car is worth, including taxes, tag fees, current rebates, and trade-in value. Then, only discuss the out-the-door price with the dealer, and don't bother looking at the stupid dealer breakdown items and bogus invoices. I also recommend that you not sit at the saleperson's little desk and wait around while he/she goes to talk to the sales manager, and be prepared to walk out the door. Never pay a deposit for a car that will be delivered from another dealership. And, don't waste time with a buying service. Follow these rules and you can avoid getting ripped off. I purchased a car a few months ago, test drove the car I wanted, handed the salesperson a slip of paper with the out-the door price including trade-in, and told him he had 15 minutes to accept it or I was leaving. I was polite, but refused to discuss anything else, and they accepted the offer.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
None of them will charge it if you just refuse to pay it. This also applies to worthless dealer installed options. The best way to buy a new car is to do your homework online and know what the car is worth, including taxes, tag fees, current rebates, and trade-in value. Then, only discuss the out-the-door price with the dealer, and don't bother looking at the stupid dealer breakdown items and bogus invoices. I also recommend that you not sit at the saleperson's little desk and wait around while he/she goes to talk to the sales manager, and be prepared to walk out the door. Never pay a deposit for a car that will be delivered from another dealership. And, don't waste time with a buying service. Follow these rules and you can avoid getting ripped off. I purchased a car a few months ago, test drove the car I wanted, handed the salesperson a slip of paper with the out-the door price including trade-in, and told him he had 15 minutes to accept it or I was leaving. I refused to discuss anything else, and they accepted the offer.

Listen to this guy.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
None of them will charge it if you just refuse to pay it. This also applies to worthless dealer installed options. The best way to buy a new car is to do your homework online and know what the car is worth, including taxes, tag fees, current rebates, and trade-in value. Then, only discuss the out-the-door price with the dealer, and don't bother looking at the stupid dealer breakdown items and bogus invoices. I also recommend that you not sit at the saleperson's little desk and wait around while he/she goes to talk to the sales manager, and be prepared to walk out the door. Never pay a deposit for a car that will be delivered from another dealership. And, don't waste time with a buying service. Follow these rules and you can avoid getting ripped off. I purchased a car a few months ago, test drove the car I wanted, handed the salesperson a slip of paper with the out-the door price including trade-in, and told him he had 15 minutes to accept it or I was leaving. I was polite, but refused to discuss anything else, and they accepted the offer.
We are looking right now. How about you going with us to the dealer. We will buy you lunch at the restaurant of your choice.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We are looking right now. How about you going with us to the dealer. We will buy you lunch at the restaurant of your choice.

Sounds like the start of a niche business.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Now matter how hard I try, I get screwed ever time IMO if they're not screwing you they won't close the deal. You may think your getting fair deal, but I doubt it
Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Always know the dealer cost of the car you want. Then never pay more then that. They get incentives to cover their profit.

I tell every sales person I work with, "you see that sign above the door?" and there is no sign there. It says "I wont be back" once I leave.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:31 AM

Don't pay the dealer "prep" fee either, that's another bogus fee. You don't need nitrogen in the tires, and you didn't ask for that!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Default There's no denying it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Now matter how hard I try, I get screwed ever time IMO if they're not screwing you they won't close the deal. You may think your getting fair deal, but I doubt it
some folks just do not have the ability to use their brain and the common sense with which they are born. It would be near impossible to ever be satisfied with any deal made if it's always assuming the worst...glass almost empty.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
retireguy123, you seem very knowledgeable in this area, so do you know of any reliable websites that would provide the "dealer cost" I have access to: consumer reports, AAA, and AARP, but have not checked on them for accuracy. Or should I rely on KBB, TrueCar, or something else?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
retireguy123, you seem very knowledgeable in this area, so do you know of any reliable websites that would provide the "dealer cost" I have access to: consumer reports, AAA, and AARP, but have not checked on them for accuracy. Or should I rely on KBB, TrueCar, or something else?
I used Edmunds.com and kbb.com to calculate the fair value for the car and for the trade in value. The price I paid was about $2500 less than the initial price the dealer gave me when I first visited the dealership, on a $25000 suv. I came back a few days later and presented my "take it or leave it" offer. They accepted the offer and my personal check and I drove it home. I also believe in being polite and honest with the dealer. I told them upfront that I would be trading in my car, paying cash, and using edmunds and kbb to calculate a fair price, and would not include anything for dealer installed options, documentation fees, or anything else not included in those websites. I presented my offer directly to the sales manager and made it very clear to him that I was leaving in 15 minutes and that I would not haggle about the price.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Nothing new about using all the information on the internet as a resource. The key (no pun) is don't go in with the pressure of having to buy a car today. You don't need it today, you don't need it tomorrow. Take it or leave it attitude is always good.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I’m going to state a fact here! If they took your offer upon demand I’m sure you probably paid to much for the vehicle. With 35 years in the car business and a very high closing ratio I can tell you if you don’t negotiate then you paid to much.
Dealers deserve to make a profit and salespeople usually work on commission. Just do your homework online when shopping for a new vehicle educate yourself it’s probably the second largest purchase you’ll make after buying your home. KBB Is only a reference guide and if your looking at a used vehicle to purchase NEVER look at the dealer price, for sale by private party it’s close to fair market value.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Thank you retiredguy 123.

Tags
fee, documentation, car, rip, dealers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.