New car Documentation fee.

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I’m going to state a fact here! If they took your offer upon demand I’m sure you probably paid to much for the vehicle. With 35 years in the car business and a very high closing ratio I can tell you if you don’t negotiate then you paid to much.
Dealers deserve to make a profit and salespeople usually work on commission. Just do your homework online when shopping for a new vehicle educate yourself it’s probably the second largest purchase you’ll make after buying your home. KBB Is only a reference guide and if your looking at a used vehicle to purchase NEVER look at the dealer price, for sale by private party it’s close to fair market value.
I don’t think I paid too much. The price I paid was $2500 less than the dealer’s initial offer, and the same price calculated by KBB and less than Edmunds. I could have saved money by selling my used car myself, but it would have been a hassle and I would not have saved the sales tax on the trade-in value. Also, I would have had to get a temporary tag for my used car while trying to sell it. I think negotiating with the dealer is not productive because the dealer has so much more information available than the customer. Like Clint Eastwood said, “a man has got to know his limitations”.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I used Edmunds.com and kbb.com to calculate the fair value for the car and for the trade in value. The price I paid was about $2500 less than the initial price the dealer gave me when I first visited the dealership, on a $25000 suv. I came back a few days later and presented my "take it or leave it" offer. They accepted the offer and my personal check and I drove it home. I also believe in being polite and honest with the dealer. I told them upfront that I would be trading in my car, paying cash, and using edmunds and kbb to calculate a fair price, and would not include anything for dealer installed options, documentation fees, or anything else not included in those websites. I presented my offer directly to the sales manager and made it very clear to him that I was leaving in 15 minutes and that I would not haggle about the price.
Great Work there.. You could make a few bucks, Helping people.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Tax, Tag and Title

Dealers can charge only the actual amount of fees paid for tax, tag and title transfer.

Generally, the tax, tag and title fees are not included in the contract. However, some dealers will charge a processing or handling fee. If they do, they must disclose it separately. Again, make sure you understand all the terms of the contract.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/SafetyTips/PDFs/BuyingVehicle.pdf
Old 11-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Tax, Tag and Title

Dealers can charge only the actual amount of fees paid for tax, tag and title transfer.

Generally, the tax, tag and title fees are not included in the contract. However, some dealers will charge a processing or handling fee. If they do, they must disclose it separately. Again, make sure you understand all the terms of the contract.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/SafetyTips/PDFs/BuyingVehicle.pdf
I think it is a waste of time to discuss any individual dealer charges. If you do your homework and make a fair, out-the-door offer, the dealer will make the numbers work and sell you the car. Everything else is irrelevant.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
some folks just do not have the ability to use their brain and the common sense with which they are born. It would be near impossible to ever be satisfied with any deal made if it's always assuming the worst...glass almost empty.
Some folks think they know it all, but really don't know jack Shyt.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We are looking right now. How about you going with us to the dealer. We will buy you lunch at the restaurant of your choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Sounds like the start of a niche business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
Great Work there.. You could make a few bucks, Helping people.
This guy has been here awhile.... maybe longer than some posters.
Best Car For The Best Price Negotiator
Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

and never pay for undercoating , window etching, scotch guard.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Platinum member
Smile Read the summary in the linked article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Don't pay the dealer "prep" fee either, that's another bogus fee. You don't need nitrogen in the tires, and you didn't ask for that!
The "ordinary" air in the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. Probably the only reason for spending more on "pure" nitrogen is in very high performance situations; not the ordinary driving done by most of us.

Comparison of nitrogen versus air in your tires | TireBuyer.com
Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The "ordinary" air in the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. Probably the only reason for spending more on "pure" nitrogen is in very high performance situations; not the ordinary driving done by most of us.

Comparison of nitrogen versus air in your tires | TireBuyer.com

But but the green valve stem caps are so cool.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
But but the green valve stem caps are so cool.

Must be the 22% that loses 2 or more PSI month when temperatures change? My car came with nitrogen, air pressure rarely changed but after year or two they need topped off, the more air I pumped into them over time the more the pressure dropped off. I willing to bet that at least 75% don't check tire pressure once month. Heck, I bet some can find the valve stems, let alone know how t put air in them
Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Sage
Default New car Documentation fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Must be the 22% that loses 2 or more PSI month when temperatures change? My car came with nitrogen, air pressure rarely changed but after year or two they need topped off, the more air I pumped into them over time the more the pressure dropped off. I willing to bet that at least 75% don't check tire pressure once month. Heck, I bet some can find the valve stems, let alone know how t put air in them

75% ? Ha ! Try 99.999 % Who owns a tire pressure gauge here. Lol

Old 11-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
75% ? Ha ! Try 99.999 % Who owns a tire pressure gauge here. Lol

I do. And, it is accurate.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
I do. And, it is accurate.

You are of the .001, welcome.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You are of the .001, welcome.

I'm special!

I tuned the carb on my neighbor's 61 Corvette this morning. Solved a miss he had by snugging the four nuts which fasten the carb to the intake (with a gasket in between, of course).
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Lets get back on topic New car documentation fee.
Closed Thread

Tags
fee, documentation, car, rip, dealers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.