New Flat-Panel TV's

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: New Flat-Panel TV's

I've read very recently that "laser" TV's are coming next - and soon
Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

After months of research and question-asking re: new flat panel TV's, the final answer is definitely LCD over plasma and screen size a matter of preference.
The best deal in the industry today is at Sam's Club. They have available the new Vizio 52" LCD with PIP for $1889. Bought this unit recently and it is incredible. You have always heard that being at a sporting event was better than watching it on TV- however, with this particular TV, I'm happier watching a sporting event on the Vizio as opposed to actually being at the event?? Strange, but true!! Picture quality and sound are beyond belief and the price is the best in the industry. I'm not for plugging a product, but this one is a winner.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the info. Wonder if I had previously heard of DLP and just forgot? Happens a lot lately.

I liked the photo as well, though not my kitty.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Veteran member

Very cool avatar pic Best Mickey. :bigthumbsup:

Lots of useful information on this thread. Processing all of it is going to take some time. Thanks y'all (scratching chin).
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Eternal Member

One very serious word of advice:

I read an article in the Crutchfield magazine that stated "no one has ever returned a television to them because it was too large". Keep that in mind as you shop. Bigger makes a real difference. With the clarity of the high definition screens you can sit closer than the old tv's with their 420 lines of resolution, so ignore any of those rules about how far away you must sit from the set. I do know personally of 2 people who regret having bought sets that are too small (both 42").

My personal preference lately has been for an LCD set from either Sony (Bravia's), Sharp (Aquus) or Samsung. When seen side by side with others, these sets do seem to stand out for clarity, color and contrast. I suggest you watch for the "contrast ratio". In some sets it's 1200:1, in others its 20,000:1. This makes a huge difference in the brightness of the screen.

That said though, any set you bring home will probably look great.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Platinum member

We've upgraded to a 42" Samsung plasma... just love it. We also have a 19" LCD Sanyo. Need to be more in front of the tube to get a bright picture for the LCD. Picture brightness doesn't change at all, even from the side or top or bottom on the plasma, you can be anywhere in the room without degradation of icture quality. I was surprised at the amount of chnnels that are availabel in HD without haveing to spend the extra cost for digital services.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you have windows in your tv room , then by all means get an LCD set (no reflections) and buy the largest screen you can afford. because with HI-DEF you can sit on top of the set and feel like your on the fifty yard line or the 18th green.......I have a small tv room and so only bought a 40" sony .....Fabulous tv but to small for me...
Under the Bucket fumar
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM

Am I correct in assuming that all new televisions will meet the new HD requirements of 2009?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

They should be, here is why:

As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital tuner. In addition, effective May 25, 2007, the Commission required sellers of television receiving equipment that does not include a digital tuner to disclose at the point-of-sale that such devices include only an analog tuner, and therefore will require a digital-to-analog converter box to receive over-the-air broadcast television after the transition date. Retailers must inform consumers by prominently displaying the following text if they are selling TV equipment with only an analog tuner:
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Keep in mind, digital does not necessarily mean HD. For example, I have DirecTV. All channels I receive are digital, but only some channels are HD. I had to install new dish and new receiver for HighDef. The Feb 2009 requirements are that all stations will broadcast only digital signals, but no requirement for HD.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Eternal Member
Default Great Projection TV with one small problem

Got a new projection TV with the huge screen. It is ideal. Fantastic picture. Just one small problem:

http://www.shortarmguy.com/mandoesth...enlookreal.wmv
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage

Thanks for the laugh Muncle.

I just picked up a 47" Vizio 1080P LCD (new model vo47L that came out in Jan.) Solved the light glare on had in my family room. Great pic and 'only' $1399 + tax.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Take a look at Home Shopping Network HSN Today's Special.

50" PLASMA for less than $1500 delivered.

WOW!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

Vizio 47" LCD 1080p from Sams. It has 4 HDMI ports and a VGA connection for PC input. Picture is great and it has the new QAM tuner (QAM-based HD programming of local stations is sometimes available to analog cable subscribers, without paying the additional fees for a digital cable box. The availability of QAM HD programming is rarely described or publicized in cable company product literature.)

I get several digital channels and some HiDef on ABC/CBS/NBC stations from Comcast without digital cable. Great price compared to Sony (plus 1" larger<a nit>, and more HDMI ports ) and close in Picture quality after watching the in store TV for more time then I want to admit to. Sound seems good also and remote is nice. We think its a good size for a ranch.

Go as large as you can go/"or want to spend" because with the Hidef aspect ratio of 16x9 and better picture vs 4x3 for previous TVs that were 36" (diagonal) before are now "sized at about 42" with the extra space on the sides and you either have to make the picture wide/panoramic or zoom to fill in the screen a lot of the time.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Sage

We got a 46" Sharp Aquas for the bedroom and it's wonderful. We had it wall mounted and if you want the guy's name, he's great. Not as expensive as the Geek Squad. Everyone I talked to said they wish they had gone just a little bigger for the wall. So we were going to go 42, but went 46 and it's perfect. We're getting anywhere from a 52 to a 60" for the living room. Sharp, Sony or Samsung. All great, it's just depending on the deal that's going. When we bought the one for the bedroom, Sharp had a deal going for a free Blu-Ray DVD player included and 10 free movies! Couldn't pass that up. Also 1080p is the way to go. And it the HDMI cable (not cheap either) but there really is a difference in the quality of the input (so say the ones in the know). We donated our old (no so old) 46# DLP to the rec center of a church out here. Hope this helps.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.