New Flat-Panel TV's

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT
Default Re: New Flat-Panel TV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by English
To bestmickey -- I love your kitty picture.

Also, to answer your question, DLP is definitely OLD technology. They are cumbersome to move around as well. LCD is the latest and best so far. Also, 1080p is latest technology on that up from 1080i.
SHOPNBC had a DLP on last night, a Mitsubishi 52", is only 15 inches deep, only 62 pounds, 1080p, full HDTV, with stand, for $1595. I have looked at DLP projectors, and they are great, except your room has to be pretty dark, and if you're watching an event, with people, your room probably isn't dark, so have ruled them out. However, DLP picture, is every bit as good, and arguably better, even, remember, this is what they use in theaters that we pay to see, and obviously, they use them for a reason, and it isn't financial, because the theater DLP projectors run $100,000 or more. This new 52" Mitshubishi rear DLP seems like a winner at a much less price.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Sage

Both the Vizio 47" and my Sony Blu-Ray came with included HDMI cables.

Looks perfect - can't imagine anything could be better - especially considering the price.

Rule of thumb for size vs. distance: about 2 feet minimum, 3 feet max, for every foot of diagonal measurement. (i.e. A 47" screen (~4 feet) should be viewed at 8-12 feet away.) This is mostly to limit the head movement you'll need to scan the whole screen. You should be focused on the middle of the screen and not required to move your head to see something in the upper corners!

Any closer and you'll see some pixels regardless of make, model. More distance is OK but you could bet larger screen.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Try www.cnet.com for unbiased reviews and plenty of information regarding size, etc. On the home page scrowl down to the televsion link on the left side of the page. It will provide information regarding size, cost, and all you need to know about HD TV. Plenty of information on other electronics also.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24

And it the HDMI cable (not cheap either) but there really is a difference in the quality of the input (so say the ones in the know).
I was able to find HDMI cables on-line for a few dollars each. They can be found for about $6 (for 2-meter cables) plus shipping at different sites. They work extremely well, and deliver unbelievable video and audio from my Blu-ray thru my receiver and to the television.

There are articles out there about what a huge rip-off the $100 Monster Cables are (as well as all the $50 & $60 & $80 cables out there). This input is all digital, meaning that the information is delivered from one component to another, or it is not. There aren't any quality issues as exist with analog lines (like speaker wire, where a product like Monster Cable delivers significantly better sound over standard thin speaker cable).

Never mind what I say, google "HDMI" and see the prices for yourself. I bought 2 6-ft HDMI cables for $17 including shipping and they work great. How far wrong can you go?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 PM

I bought a 50'" LG Plasma from Bob's TV ,recommend you buy a warranty and have someone set up you TV to get the best picture. Digital Sight & Sounds also was very helpful however they only sell Sony. Get the largest set you can, you won't be sorry.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Send a message via ICQ to tankdvr1950

Recently purchased a SAMSUNG 46" LCD (Model#T4665F) from BEST BUY...after lots and lots of looking, price and feature comparisons, and a lot of research on the internet.

This particular is highly rated on most internet sites......don't be fooled by looking at the store displays....they are direct wired into a hi-def DVD player to maximize the display quality. Basically, looking at about 75 LCD's at BEST BUY...they all look fantastic....u really need to do the research and have an idea of what options you want...i.e. screen response time, contrast ratio, etc....u can get info on this on the internet.

When i was ready to buy...i went to the Department Manager ...the nice thing about BEST BUY...they don't work on commission so i think u tend to get the straight info you need, without worrying about a sales pitch. Obviously, price is a personal decision you have to make.

To get the max benefit of an LCD TV (hi-definition), you do need to have a hi-def signal to connect to the TV....which in most cases requires a special cable box, and u should really consider the HDMI cable...it does make a bid difference. They are expensive but you can find less expensive ones available on the internet and they work just fine.

The picture is beyond belief....hi-def will amaze you....and while regular (non hi-def) TV does not come close to hi-def....it for sure looks better on an LCD than it does on your current set.

I gave my old 27" analog set to a neighbor for his exercise room.

Hope this helps.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.